Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Has anyone microchipped?

mom2Isis

Lairian
Has anyone microchipped their Sphynx? I am about to get Isis spayed and thought about doing it while she is under. But then I am worried it will be uncomfortable for her or stick out and be visable on her. She is very naked on ther body. My dogs are chipped, but they go outside and also have a ton of fur to cover the chip up.

gizmo6370

Banned
Yup...have it done while she's getting spayed...ask the vet to put it between the shoulders....so you can't see it :Smile:
Good luck! :Wink:

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Here there are no pure breds that ain't microchipped. Breeders have to vaccinate and microchip and get a health declaration for the kittens to get the official papers for them so they can be sold as pure bred cats.

Darwins have travelled a bit by the way and is visible on his front right thigh/shoulder.
Namirs I can't find under his coat when I feel for it though.

ssummers

Lairian
Same here. Coraline is microchipped, but it doesn't show and hasn't caused her any problems. I can feel it sometimes--it's like a grain of rice--but mostly if I'm trying to find it.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Polar is chipped but the others are not.
I can feel his chip and see it sometimes.
Make sure when she is altered they do not use Ketamine it kills.
Also no Metacam for pain meds.

TotenEngel

Banned
All 4 of my boys (3 furrys and 1 nekkid) are chipped, I was very worried about getting Smeagol done as he was so little and such a wriggler, so got it done when he was being castrated. I expected to see a hole and probably feel it as well, but neither :D (and i've spent a while having a good feel around!!!)

ktate88

Banned
Niles was chipped during his neuter. I could see the hole the day of the surgery, but partially because I knew it was there and was looking for it. I can feel it if I try to find it.

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Definetely microchip!
All pets should be microchipped and its easier for the pet if it is done during a spay or neuter because its a big needle.
I can only find Nofuratu's if I am looking for it. Its like a tiny grain of rice under the skin. No one else has ever noticed it. I would have to point it out...

Chameleon924

Lairian
I agree, you should have her microchip! When she is under she won't feel a thing! Also, remember to send in the paperwork!!! You don't know the amount of ppl that microchip thier pets and when they come into our office we can locate the chip and not the owners because they never submitted the paperwork! :Hysterical:

gizmo6370

Banned
Also, remember to send in the paperwork!!! You don't know the amount of ppl that microchip thier pets and when they come into our office we can locate the chip and not the owners because they never submitted the paperwork! :Hysterical:

My vet always sends in the paperwork :Wink:

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I think Polars chip is still in the breeders name.
He did not have Cleo or Kona chipped though.

Definitely get her MC'd while she's under. Much easier on her and you. Both Baron and my rescue Boston, Lynard, are microchipped. Baron I just took to the shelter, paid my $13, and he was nationally registered without any other fees. He purred throughout the whole thing though, LOL! Dorko :)

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Gleek came from the breeder neutered and microchipped. She didn't activate the paperwork but left that for me once Gleek arrived. All of the pets we have acquired after 20o5 have been chipped. It is worth the peace of mind knowing that microchippinhg can be very helpful in getting our pets back if something were to happen.

holly_savage

Banned
Both the girls are microchipped. Kokka came that way from the breeder, Hibou I had done here. The whole experience was a stressfull one for poor hibou, after the third puncture wound, the vet finally decided a little sedation was in order.

britty3189

Lairian
Both of mine are microchipped. They both had it done without anesthetic, and only Kiki put up a fuss (more over being held against his will) and I don't think they even realized anything was done to them, since the people were very good and quick at it. I actually asked "Wait...it's done????" When they did it to Kiki.

I can't see or feel their chips. I've never really gone looking for it to feel, but I can't even begin to tell you where it would be on their backs. And their little hole healed up quickly with no scarring.

I like the idea of them being chipped just in case. I rescued a chihuahua earlier this year that was running around my apartment complex, and the poor little thing wasn't chipped (eventually realized she had been abandoned anyway). It made me thankful I got my cats chipped.

mom2Isis

Lairian
Thanks everyone. I will get her chipped and ask that they put it inbetween her shoulder blades. :) I will do it during her spaying.

NakedNinja

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Gabe is chipped. We waited until his surgery to do it, because my vet was a bit squeamish about sticking that HUGE needle in such a little cat.

Two of my other rescues are chipped, but Tig and Fred aren't. Need to get them done.

I can't see or feel Gabe's chip. They're so tiny they don't really show.

TotenEngel

Banned
Got Smeagol done when he was castrated, expected to see a hole and feel it, got him home, no hole. Got all the paperwork and I trust my vets but I was wondering, did they actually do him?? Spent about half an hour feeling for the chip, couldn't find it. Told myself to stop being paranoid, it was there somewhere (though it was still in the back of my mind!) Then, the other day whilst idlly stroking him, I found it!! Spent about 5 minutes poking it and going oohhh... there it is!! LOL

Back