Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Has Anyone Used Melatonin on Sphynx Before?

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
As some of you know, Min is very special in that she's on the kitty spectrum somewhere. She's not completely autistic, but there are some behaviours.

And those who know also know I've tried so many different medications and behaviour responses to deal with her destructive chewing (that I really don't believe is fully PICA either). That said, we have the chewing dealt with as best as possible.

More concerning though are her nightmares, which I've discussed before. Min Has Nightmares (serious thread) – anyone with experience or comments? I've been combing the interwebs for research on the use of melatonin on cats. There's more information and guidance than I anticipated.

So I contacted my vet who is familiar with her quirks and he is guiding me as well. Sooooo, I'm about to start her on 1.5 mg of melatonin before bed in the hopes it mitigates her nightmares, and there MAY be a positive benefit of calming down little Miss Chewsalot.

But I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with using melatonin for their nakeds and if so, in what capacity etc.

And... just because...

maximillian_von_strange_30915548_1955627001417901_2336866992511778816_n.jpg

Toa and Ross

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hope the melatonin will help Min and somebody here can share her experience.
Min is such a cutie. And you're wonderful for doing everything for her you can!

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Sadly, the test was a fail. The melatonin INCREASED the frequency and intensity of Min's nightmares. I knew that this was a possibility (not everyone reacts the same to meds), but I had to try.

For anyone else in a similar situation as myself, you can try -- but for Min it was a fail.

Min's getting lots of extra cuddles and love from her brother, Hubby and I.

Toa and Ross

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Xandria i'm sorry to hear the test was a fail. So hoped this meds coukd end Min's nightmares. Hugs for giving it a try.

Toa sents lots of extra love and cuddles to Min