Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Have you seen litter cause eye drainage ultimately leading to conjunctivitis?

mrktpro

Lairian
Good morning and happy Sunday.

Midweek I noticed that Diletto had a very runny eye and it had a yellow discharge so I took him into the vet on Friday. She has given him some drops and I'm putting them in his eyes 3 times a day, but his eyes don't seem to be getting better. She did mention this could be allergies and I started thinking back to when this started, some of you may remember that I was having a litter box problem, so changed the litter box and the litter which seems to have done the trick, but now I'm wondering if Diletto has an allergy to Tidy Cat Litter.

Update
- reading the Amazon reviews it appears that I'm not the only one that has seen their cat have a reaction to Tidy Cat :(

Has anyone encountered this same challenge? Are there litter recommendations, perhaps litter that has the same consistency of Tidy Cat but less dust? Would love to hear your suggestions.

20190704_185504 (1).jpg

Yoda mom

Staff member
Awhhh healing vibes ..
Surely tidy cat users will chime in ..

I had good results with dr elseys unscented litter and petsupermarkets fresh for life odor destroyer unscented clumping litter in the bag. ( pail version is different )

What drops were prescribed ?
Did vet look at , stain his eye for any possible scratches ?
(Just thinking outside the box for any possibilities )

Attachments

• C476CB91-1BBF-43BC-AAAB-AA261A4AAC27.jpeg
    C476CB91-1BBF-43BC-AAAB-AA261A4AAC27.jpeg
    23.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 7A9716D5-4855-4C73-83A0-E956F2F93A76.jpeg
    7A9716D5-4855-4C73-83A0-E956F2F93A76.jpeg
    8.8 KB · Views: 60

mrktpro

Lairian
Awhhh healing vibes ..
Surely tidy csr users will chime in ..
I had good results with dr elseys unscented litter and petsupermarkets fresh for life odor destroyer unscented clumping litter in the bag. ( pail version is different )

What drops were prescribed ?
Did vet look at , dye his eye for any possible scratches ?

The drops are Neo/Poly/Dex Susp.

I thought a scratch too since Loki and he can play really rough, so they did the dye test and no ulcerations, also it started with the one eye and now it's both :/

Yoda mom

Staff member
Being in both eyes now :( I would suspect an allergy to possibly the litter too ?

My boy had the same meds in the past
as well as Oflaxacin

Hugs n head smooches
Definitely would update your vet and possibly change litter

(My mom adopted s kitty years ago that went outside the box ... switched to Dr elseys unscented which is virtually dust free ...and no more litter box issues )

mrktpro

Lairian
Being in both eyes now :( I would suspect an allergy to possibly the litter too ?

My boy had the same meds in the past
as well as Oflaxacin

Hugs n head smooches
Definitely would update your vet and possibly change litter

(My mom adopted s kitty years ago that went outside the box ... switched to Dr elseys unscented and no more issues )

I was using Dr. Elseys when they were having "accidents" but I think the accidents may have been more about their dislike to the automated litter box which I've removed. The one thing I don't like about Elseys is the package it's a bit hard to carry to my upper floor condo. *laugh* I did, however, see that they have an upper respiratory litter that I might try out to see if that helps get this gunk cleared up.

Sheldon13

Staff member
I’m a big fan of Smart Cat litter. No plans to ever change. Love it that much. ZERO dust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I was using Dr. Elseys when they were having "accidents" but I think the accidents may have been more about their dislike to the automated litter box which I've removed. The one thing I don't like about Elseys is the package it's a bit hard to carry to my upper floor condo. *laugh* I did, however, see that they have an upper respiratory litter that I might try out to see if that helps get this gunk cleared up.
Well this sounds familiar!

I used to use Dr. Elsey's but the weight of that 40 lb bag eventually got to me. Being the loyal customer, I found a shop that sold smaller bags of Dr. Elsey's and even though it was more expensive, I started using those. Then one time the shop didn't get their delivery. It was either go back to the 40 lb bags or try some other litter. So I tried Tidy Cat lightweight litter and .....big mistake.

I have since moved to grass litters such as the SmartCat that was mentioned above. It's lightweight - 20 pounds of grass litter is equivalent to 40 pounds of clay litter.

Grass litter is also not dusty and it's natural and biodegradable. Unfortunately it's more expensive but here's what you can do......SmartCat is the original grass litter but there are a couple of other brands now that are the same and cost less - Frisco grass litter (Chewy's brand) and SoPhresh grass litter (Petco's brand).

Finally, you can sign up for auto shipment and get litter delivered to your door. All the big stores do this. The only thing is you have to spend a certain amount to get free shipping. With grass litter you can buy 2 bags at a time and get free shipping.....with clay litter you have to buy a lot more bags at a time which you might not have enough storage space for.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

mrktpro

Lairian
Well this sounds familiar!

I used to use Dr. Elsey's but the weight of that 40 lb bag eventually got to me. Being the loyal customer, I found a shop that sold smaller bags of Dr. Elsey's and even though it was more expensive, I started using those. Then one time the shop didn't get their delivery. It was either go back to the 40 lb bags or try some other litter. So I tried Tidy Cat lightweight litter and .....big mistake.

I have since moved to grass litters such as the SmartCat that was mentioned above. It's lightweight - 20 pounds of grass litter is equivalent to 40 pounds of clay litter.

Grass litter is also not dusty and it's natural and biodegradable. Unfortunately it's more expensive but here's what you can do......SmartCat is the original grass litter but there are a couple of other brands now that are the same and cost less - Frisco grass litter (Chewy's brand) and SoPhresh grass litter (Petco's brand).

You can also sign up for auto shipment and it will be delivered to your door. You probably have to buy 2 bags at a time to get free shipping if that's the only thing you buy but it's super convenient.

Thank you for the insight. Today I picked up Arm & Hammer Clump and Seal, 100% dust free with the swap out today I'm already seeing a noticeable improvement with Diletto's eyes, I'm hoping this continues if not I'll certainly try the other litters you've recommended. Thanks so much :)

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Thank you for the insight. Today I picked up Arm & Hammer Clump and Seal, 100% dust free with the swap out today I'm already seeing a noticeable improvement with Diletto's eyes, I'm hoping this continues if not I'll certainly try the other litters you've recommended. Thanks so much :)
You're welcome :)

I edited my post but I think you had already replied. Basically I wanted to say that you can sign up for auto shipment from just about any big store - Chewy's, Petco, Amazon, etc. I'm sure they'll deliver the Arm & Hammer Clump and Seal. The only thing is to get free shipping you'll have to buy several packages of it so it's a matter of do you have enough storage space.

mrktpro

Lairian
You're welcome :)

I edited my post but I think you had already replied. Basically I wanted to say that you can sign up for auto shipment from just about any big store - Chewy's, Petco, Amazon, etc. I'm sure they'll deliver the Arm & Hammer Clump and Seal. The only thing is to get free shipping you'll have to buy several packages of it so it's a matter of do you have enough storage space.

Thank you, trouble with Chewy is when it's delivered they put it in our mail room and I still have to carry it to my condo. Eeek :) :)

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Yoda mom the Clump & seal wasn't one of the ones I recommended sorry!

Maybe we need a forum for product reviews. We cover everything on here from food to litter to toys to beds to stargates to shampoos to etc etc etc :0

Back