Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

HCM Diagnosis... now what?

SDepalo

Lairian
Hi everyone!

I'm new to this forum and unfortunately posting because we need some advice or even just some good vibes sent our way!

One of our cats has been diagnosed with HCM. We don't have much experience with this disease.

The vet has prescribed plavix and basically told us there is nothing more we can do at this point.

I've attached the report they sent us and would appreciate any advice or thoughts anyone wants to pass on. Is there more we can do? Would you recommend the $850 + tax ultrasound every 6 months?!?!

Thank you!!
IMG_1450.JPG
Shannon

Attachments

• 05-15-20 Moseley Depao.pdf
    147.4 KB · Views: 20

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@SDepalo Welcome to Sphynxlair. You came to the right place for extra support and members are friendly and will gladly give advice. I have on with RCM and one with HCM. Both are on meds. The norm has been scanning every 6 months after they were diagnosed. They can see if the meds need to be upped or changed by monitoring through echocardiograms, so yes that is the norm that vets suggest. Our one girl had some progression last test so they recommended next in 3 months. I know it is shocking and devastating to hear the news. Take a few days to let it settle in and you will see that your baby knows nothing different than being happy and loved by you and that is all that matters to them. We are here for you.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Welcome to sphynxlair. Sorry to hear one of your cats is diagnosed with HCM. I have no experience with this but @Catzzzmeow gave great info.
Hugs for you and try to take it day by day

SDepalo

Lairian
@SDepalo Welcome to Sphynxlair. You came to the right place for extra support and members are friendly and will gladly give advice. I have on with RCM and one with HCM. Both are on meds. The norm has been scanning every 6 months after they were diagnosed. They can see if the meds need to be upped or changed by monitoring through echocardiograms, so yes that is the norm that vets suggest. Our one girl had some progression last test so they recommended next in 3 months. I know it is shocking and devastating to hear the news. Take a few days to let it settle in and you will see that your baby knows nothing different than being happy and loved by you and that is all that matters to them. We are here for you.
Thank you! This is very helpful. How long ago were your cats diagnosed?

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you! This is very helpful. How long ago were your cats diagnosed?

3+ years for the 1 with RCM ....and close to 1 1/2 years I think for the other diagnosed withnHCM. It is a fine balance of the heart, mind and wallet. There is no clear map to follow as we all are in a different place mentally, emotionally and financially. Just know you are not alone. Many of us walk this journey together. The best advice I can give is do not feel alone...this community is very unique and we know not everyone can afford every aspect of ultimate care...we are real knowing if you can afford, it does not mean one will be given more time...none of us know our expiration date. Did your vet discuss logging breathing rate?

Sheldon13

Staff member
Hi! My kitty has right sided cardiomyopathy (HCM is left sided) but I think the treatment is similar. Being on Plavix is good, but I think there other meds that would help in addition to it. My vet has my kitty on Plavix (for blood thinner), Enalapril (to help the heart pump stronger), lasix (to pull fluid off where it doesn’t belong) and Pimobenden (specifically for heart failure). Now I know your baby may not be in heart failure yet so that may be why the vet has not added these, but I think it’s worth an ask. Is the vet who diagnosed a cardiologist? If you have one near you that would be the preferred way to handle the illness. Also as @Catzzzmeow mentioned, taking a respiratory rate regularly (at rest but not purring) can tell you a lot about his current condition. My vet has me doing it 3x per week but if it starts to elevate above 30 I do it every day for a bit. It should be no more than 30. If it gets above 35 you really need to consult your vet.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome
This is not a death sentence and there are lots of good medications that can help regulate your cat.
Echos are expensive but give a great baseline for treatment. You may want to reach out in your area for a vet that will be a bit more approachable about differnt medications.
We use a DR here that uses ultrasounds to monitor my cat with HCM.
I have had 4 sphynx with cardiac issues and have been able to find a good regimen to manage their issues. There does come a time when you have to weigh what your cat or your wallet can take but I read the report and your cat with treatment could have lots of quality time with you.
I have a girl now and she is 11 years old now and was diagnosed at 8 yr. She is on two meds and has had very little progression of the disease.

Yoda mom

Staff member
welcome to the lair family! great advice given. what are your babies names? look forward to you being an active member with us with lots of pics and tales.

SDepalo

Lairian
3+ years for the 1 withnRCM ....and close to 1 1/2 years I think for the other diagnosed withnHCM. It is a fine balance of the heart, mind and wallet. There is no clear map to follow as we all are in a different place mentally, emotionally and financially. Just know you are not alone. Many of us walk this journey together. The best advice I can give is do not feel alone...this community is very unique and we know not everyone can afford every aspect of ultimate care...we are real knowing if you can afford, it does not mean one will be given more time...none of us know our expiration date. Did your vet discuss logging breathing rate?
Thank you! I’m so sorry to hear about your little ones. The vet mentioned we should monitor his breathing rate when he’s sleeping and so far his breathing has been normal. He's bounced back very quickly, but we're being very cautious and soaking up every minute with him. Thank you again for your support!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you! I’m so sorry to hear about your little ones. The vet mentioned we should monitor his breathing rate when he’s sleeping and so far his breathing has been normal. He's bounced back very quickly, but we're being very cautious and soaking up every minute with him. Thank you again for your support!

You bet, we are all here for one another. This group understands these precious babies are family members.

SDepalo

Lairian
Hi! My kitty has right sided cardiomyopathy (HCM is left sided) but I think the treatment is similar. Being on Plavix is good, but I think there other meds that would help in addition to it. My vet has my kitty on Plavix (for blood thinner), Enalapril (to help the heart pump stronger), lasix (to pull fluid off where it doesn’t belong) and Pimobenden (specifically for heart failure). Now I know your baby may not be in heart failure yet so that may be why the vet has not added these, but I think it’s worth an ask. Is the vet who diagnosed a cardiologist? If you have one near you that would be the preferred way to handle the illness. Also as @Catzzzmeow mentioned, taking a respiratory rate regularly (at rest but not purring) can tell you a lot about his current condition. My vet has me doing it 3x per week but if it starts to elevate above 30 I do it every day for a bit. It should be no more than 30. If it gets above 35 you really need to consult your vet.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need
Thank you for the information! I'm sorry to hear about your kitty. I'll definitely ask the vet about these medications. The vet we see isn't a cardiologist. I'll be sure to look for one in the area. Thanks again!!!

SDepalo

Lairian
Welcome
This is not a death sentence and there are lots of good medications that can help regulate your cat.
Echos are expensive but give a great baseline for treatment. You may want to reach out in your area for a vet that will be a bit more approachable about differnt medications.
We use a DR here that uses ultrasounds to monitor my cat with HCM.
I have had 4 sphynx with cardiac issues and have been able to find a good regimen to manage their issues. There does come a time when you have to weigh what your cat or your wallet can take but I read the report and your cat with treatment could have lots of quality time with you.
I have a girl now and she is 11 years old now and was diagnosed at 8 yr. She is on two meds and has had very little progression of the disease.
Thank you for sharing your experience! This is very helpful. I'm sorry to hear about your little girl.

Back