Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

HCM free pedigree

my12monkeys

Lairian
I have a question (mostly for the breeders out there) I keep reading that you should check your cats pedigree to look for HCM carriers. How do you do that? The actual pedigree paper doesn't include health information does it? Is there a database somewhere to look up specific cats? Or are we relying solely on communication between breeders? That doesn't seem like it would be very effective. You mite be contacted by the breeder that sold you your cat regarding a diagnosis but what about your cats great grandmother? That could be a long chain of people before the info would reach you. I feel like maybe I'm missing some key piece of information when it comes to this subject. Please advise if you can.

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
We are not supposed to name specific names of services, but if you google "HCM database cats'", several pop up. It is a place for people to register if issues and yes you are correct that the database is only as good as the information reported and often many do not report. So there is a big gap unfortunately. Still the best way to protect is to research and go through a reputable breeder but still there is no guarantee. But with great breeders will do their best to keep healthy bloodlines which can mean retiring a cat if it's offspring developed HCM or another genetic defect and many out cross to bring in a wider gene pool. Just like with people, heart disease can happen so there is no 100% Guarantee.

Patti

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Most reputable breeders, have a contract and they tell you, they scan for HCM in the contract.
They will give a guarantee for different health issues, for xxx amount of time.
They scan their breeders yearly. But, it is best to have someone to recommend a reputable breeder to you.
Then, again, nothing is 100 %. But, if it happens in the time frame a reputable breeder will, replace the kitten.
They, will stand behind their kittens, I suggest you ask for help finding one.
We can't mention breeder's here but, where are you and where are you willing to travel?
I seen you are in Los Vegas. Are you still in that area? I might be able to help you.

my12monkeys

Lairian
Most reputable breeders, have a contract and they tell you, they scan for HCM in the contract.
They will give a guarantee for different health issues, for xxx amount of time.
They scan their breeders yearly. But, it is best to have someone to recommend a reputable breeder to you.
Then, again, nothing is 100 %. But, if it happens in the time frame a reputable breeder will, replace the kitten.
They, will stand behind their kittens, I suggest you ask for help finding one.
We can't mention breeder's here but, where are you and where are you willing to travel?
I seen you are in Los Vegas. Are you still in that area? I might be able to help you.
Yes, I am living in Vegas. I would be willing to travel quite far to get a really good quality kitten. I won't be ready to buy till around March though. Right now just doing a lot of research. But suggestions on who I should be looking into would be super helpful.

my12monkeys

Lairian
We are not supposed to name specific names of services, but if you google "HCM database cats'", several pop up. It is a place for people to register if issues and yes you are correct that the database is only as good as the information reported and often many do not report. So there is a big gap unfortunately. Still the best way to protect is to research and go through a reputable breeder but still there is no guarantee. But with great breeders will do their best to keep healthy bloodlines which can mean retiring a cat if it's offspring developed HCM or another genetic defect and many out cross to bring in a wider gene pool. Just like with people, heart disease can happen so there is no 100% Guarantee.

Patti
Thank you Patti! That's what I needed to know. I'll see if I can find the site.