Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

HCM registry in Ontario Canada.

Pbinky is now a year and a half and after reading all the horror stories about HCM i'm worried. I don't know if the breeder did HCM scans on his studs and queens and i just sent an email to find out. BUT, i don't think i would feel comfortable until i had concrete evidence. i've booked Pbinky with a cardiologist consult on March 24. Does anyone know if and how i can find out if my breeder really does HCM scans???

Pbinky is now a year and a half and after reading all the horror stories about HCM i'm worried. I don't know if the breeder did HCM scans on his studs and queens and i just sent an email to find out. BUT, i don't think i would feel comfortable until i had concrete evidence. i've booked Pbinky with a cardiologist consult on March 24. Does anyone know if and how i can find out if my breeder really does HCM scans???
If the breeder gets back to you, they should be able to supply you with copies of the negative scans for each of Pbinky's parents. There is an HCM database, but not everyone submits their scans to it, so even if the breeder isn't listed, that doesn't necessarily mean they don't scan.

Here's the link to the most comprehensive database:
http://sphynxrexbreeders.nl/HCM/hcm_database_lang_EN.php

For peace of mind, though, I would ask for a copy of the scans from your breeder. If they can't supply them, it's safe to assume they did not scan.

Good luck with your scan! Now is the perfect time to do it.

Thanks so much for the list Brooke.
I didn't find the breeder on the registry :Sweat:

Thanks so much for the list Brooke.
I didn't find the breeder on the registry :Sweat:
Like I said, that doesn't necessarily mean they don't scan. Don't sweat it just yet - wait until you hear back from the breeder and ask them to send copies of the scans.

I agree with Brooke. Either way, HCM - parents dont mean they'll product HCM- young. Having each cat scanned is the best way to go. Doing this annually will keep you ahead of the game.

Good luck!

Thanks everyone. The breeder hasn't written back yet but it usually takes him a couple of days to write back. I agree about scanning both my boys. Skinny will be 1year old in May so i'll have him scanned later this year.