Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

HCM scan price UK

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I just requested a quote from my vet for an echo/ultrasound scan for any HCM or heart related issues for my oldest boy Butchie, who will be 2 years old in Dec. Well,.. I wasn't expecting it to be cheap, but neither was I expecting a quote for £450 (USD 580) !? :eek::  (:ROFLMAO:

Are there any UK members on here that have had this done, and if so, how much did it cost for you? :confused: Thanks!

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
So I received a more detailed quote from my vet as you can see below. Just thought I'd ask again if other members think this is an average quote? I've come to realise that it probably is though... I can't claim on the insurance for elective or preventative treatments, but I asked the vet I saw for Butchie on Monday about it.

She listened to his heart and asked kind of matter of fact "...and he's always had a heart murmur..?" I said no, because first time it was mentioned was earlier this year I think. I said I'd got a quote for the scan, and wondered what their position was on recommending it, as I can only claim if recommended by the vet. She said she had no problem putting on his file that she would recommend it, as a heart murmur means something might be going on, so I'm hoping that'll be enough for my insurance. They won't pre-authorise anything so could still try to wriggle their way out of paying I suppose... Will wait until our house move is out of the way, and for the insurance to renew end of Feb, but will look to have it done then.

It's "only" been a grade 1 or 2 murmur so far, and it could be related to being at the vet and being stressed, but I'd like to find out early if it's something else.

1575572464884.png

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I don’t recall the exact amount...but as far as ours go we never need sedation. I go in and hold ours while they perform the scan. I do understand some cats do not tolerate the test so need it.
I agree with you to scan early...only 50% of cats with HCM exhibit a murmur, the others never even show a sign and that is why HCM can be a silent killer. Also note 50% that have a murmur is just that a murmur and nit HCM. We did our first scans at age 1 just to have a baseline. I think price off top of my bed is $450-$500.

Last edited:

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I don’t recall the exact amount...but as far as ours go we never need sedation. I go in and hold ours while they perform the scan. I do understand some cats do not tolerate the test so need section.
I agree with you to scan early...only 50% of cats with HCM exhibit a murmur, the others never even show a sign and that is why HCM can be a silent killer. Also note 50% that have a murmur is just that a murmur and nit HCM. We did our first scans at age 1 just to have a baseline. I think price off top of my bed is $450-$500.

Hmm, I don't know if they'd allow you going in with them here?? I remember reading that on @Bailey21 's thread and I was quite surprised that you could do that. It wouldn't do any harm asking, so I will, but I'd be surprised if they said yes :rolleyes: Well $500 USD is about £380 and that would be certainly be more affordable..!

Sheldon13

Staff member
That's okay, there's a lot going on on here, and I was hoping other UK members would chime in but noone did :oops:

Oh my gosh I feel so bad too! I try really hard to answer any and all medical threads that I can. I don’t live in the uk though. But I’m wondering why your insurance can’t preauthorize with appropriate veterinary documentation? Can you call and ask if it is covered at least? Or under what circumstances it would be covered?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Beckinboots

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I just requested a quote from my vet for an echo/ultrasound scan for any HCM or heart related issues for my oldest boy Butchie, who will be 2 years old in Dec. Well,.. I wasn't expecting it to be cheap, but neither was I expecting a quote for £450 (USD 580) !? :eek::  (:ROFLMAO:

Are there any UK members on here that have had this done, and if so, how much did it cost for you? :confused: Thanks!
Sorry, I didn't respond before because I haven't had a scan done before. I hope someone else from the UK can help x

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Oh my gosh I feel so bad too! I try really hard to answer any and all medical threads that I can. I don’t live in the uk though. But I’m wondering why your insurance can’t preauthorize with appropriate veterinary documentation? Can you call and ask if it is covered at least? Or under what circumstances it would be covered?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Oh, don't feel bad! :) Seems this thread went under everyone's radar lol
It seems it's their policy to not pre-authorise, end of :confused: They said it'd be covered if recommended by the vet, so I'm hoping that the endorsement I got last Monday will be enough. If I need to take Butchie again before I plan to have it done, I'll raise it again for a double endorsement!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Cinafina , awhh hugs ... not familiar with UK prices ... US prices I have seen from $500-800 each.
I will be totally honest, I have not scanned my crew, ages 6 to 9 years old.
My vet told me the murmur grading done by listening is 'Subjective" and can vary from vet to vet and from office stress, car ride stress etc.

following for updates!

hugs n head smooches !

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Cinafina , awhh hugs ... not familiar with UK prices ... US prices I have seen from $500-800 each.
I will be totally honest, I have not scanned my crew, ages 6 to 9 years old.
My vet told me the murmur grading done by listening is 'Subjective" and can vary from vet to vet and from office stress, car ride stress etc.

following for updates!

hugs n head smooches !

Yea, I know it's a bit weird when it comes to heart murmurs, but that thought in the back of my mind won't go away that it could be a sign of something... And £685 comes to about $900 USD. If I'm not mistaken @Zab mentioned the price of the scan in Sweden, and it was very affordable! Do I remember correctly? :unsure:

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Yea, I know it's a bit weird when it comes to heart murmurs, but that thought in the back of my mind won't go away that it could be a sign of something... And £685 comes to about $900 USD. If I'm not mistaken @Zab mentioned the price of the scan in Sweden, and it was very affordable! Do I remember correctly? :unsure:
Yes, I just called the vet about scanning my trio. The prices differ a little here and there, but not by much. My contracts state that I should make at least one scan when the kitty is 1,5-2 years of age. My preference is going to a cardiologist that is connected to pawpeds health program. The price right now was 150 euro (about 165 USD) for the first cat. The second one is reduced by 30 USD and the third also. I was so surprised to hear about the price tag you guys have to pay. On the other hand I was angry when I heard that if you choose not to register the result of the scan on pawpeds, the price goes up! Like if the result is a bad one, you can pay your way out and keep up breeding on those genes.
There you go, that's how it works here in little Sweden...

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Zab Wow... I could get return flights to Sweden AND a scan for the same price as a scan here in the UK!! :0 :  ( And as well, I'm not happy about the sedation being included as a matter of fact! It should be optional, and you should be allowed to come in with your cat :mad: I'm going to ask about that and let you all know what they say. Butchie is a very chilled cat and I think if I was there to hold him, he would be fine, as long as noone tried to stick a thermometer up his bum..!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Zab , thank you for sharing... this is very helpful to members in your area ., geez, think I should book a plane ticket and head your way ..
unreal the difference in pricing

keep us updated ((hugs ))) and head smooches to all paws :)

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Zab Wow... I could get return flights to Sweden AND a scan for the same price as a scan here in the UK!! :0 :  ( And as well, I'm not happy about the sedation being included as a matter of fact! It should be optional, and you should be allowed to come in with your cat :mad: I'm going to ask about that and let you all know what they say. Butchie is a very chilled cat and I think if I was there to hold him, he would be fine, as long as noone tried to stick a thermometer up his bum..!
I agree with the sedation. I talked to the vet we are going to in februari for scans and I get to be there, to hold them. Also, they don't sedate if not needed.

JessicaRosexo

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hi sorry for the late Chime
I am just undergoing tests ect for Suspected HCM. I have a ultrasound tomorrow which is £150 with animal trust. If this helps :)

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi sorry for the late Chime
I am just undergoing tests ect for Suspected HCM. I have a ultrasound tomorrow which is £150 with animal trust. If this helps :)

Wow, THANK YOU so much for that! {} It's never too late to chime in :) It would be amazing if I could get it done there!! Amazingly their Leeds clinic is really close to the house we're buying, so I will definitely be looking in to that! I really feel the price I was quoted is so ridiculously high, and the vet just totally milks it for stuff like this, relying on people's insurance policies. I mean, it's just an ultrasound!!! :mad:

JessicaRosexo

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Wow, THANK YOU so much for that! {} It's never too late to chime in :) It would be amazing if I could get it done there!! Amazingly their Leeds clinic is really close to the house we're buying, so I will definitely be looking in to that! I really feel the price I was quoted is so ridiculously high, and the vet just totally milks it for stuff like this, relying on people's insurance policies. I mean, it's just an ultrasound!!! :mad:
Yes I am sorry but I am all for vets are very money orientated kind of thing I know not everyone will agree justly how I feel especially here in the UK. Very very pricey
Cost me £365 to keep my cat in ICU
£37 for 6 days worth of tablets
£150 for a ultrasound.
And will be more I suspect for his medication he needs putting on I dread to see what that will cost!

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Yes I am sorry but I am all for vets are very money orientated kind of thing I know not everyone will agree justly how I feel especially here in the UK. Very very pricey
Cost me £365 to keep my cat in ICU
£37 for 6 days worth of tablets
£150 for a ultrasound.
And will be more I suspect for his medication he needs putting on I dread to see what that will cost!

Hmm, really hope that any medication your boy will need long term won't be that pricey... :rolleyes: When my boy was hospitalised for 2 days just over a year ago, it ended up costing us an eye watering £890 in total. Do you have insurance? I have it for both my boys, but the condition that caused his stint in hospital is sadly considered pre-existing :(

pattyleo182

Lairian
Hi @Cinafina sorry for the late reply. I live in London and most of the echocardiograms I found were £300 (Goddards Wanstead hospital and wood street hospital) Although they all come with something “extra”, but in the end I went for the best, the RVC in potters bar as I my baby boy Max had a very rare heart condition (you can check It under the Tetralogy of Fallot thread).
unfortunately he didn’t have insurance as he wasn’t technically mine (he was owned by a neighbour who we sort of rescued him from) and once they found the murmur it was too late for insurance.
The echo at the RVC cost also £300 but the consultation £275 plus all the other bits ended up costing £750 (again these were specific to what Max needed which was more advanced). If he would’ve been drained that was another £300 but we used medication instead.

At the RVC he didn’t need to be sedated but we certainly couldn’t come in at all just drop him at the parking lot. It all took about 3 hours give or take but the doctors there are so so caring. They did a pre-assessment with me over the phone for about 30 min to find out everything about Max and then after his tests the doctor came out for about 45min and explained everything to us. After that he called me the next day for about an hour with the diagnosis from the tests and the best treatment available (even the best combination of medication and best prices available!) in total I spent about £250-£300 in medication tho it was for months).

All this great care bought me another 2 precious weeks with our dear Max which were absolutely priceless.

Previous to this he was taken to the blue cross charity hospital in Victoria and got the echo and stayed one night as he needed to be drained and monitored and to this we didn’t pay anything at all as the owner was on benefits and qualified for this free charity hospital. But I wanted the best care for him hence I ended up at the RVC.

Hope this is of some help I know it’s very specific to my story. I’m attaching the quote as well.

Attachments

• invoice procedure itemised tax-102002.pdf
    130.8 KB · Views: 35
Back