Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

HCM Scanning Poll (buying a sphynx kitten)

I would buy a sphynx kitten if the breeder...

• Scans the breeding parents yearly for HCM

Votes: 20 90.9%
  • Scans the breeding parents every few years for HCM

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Doesn't scan the breeding parents for HCM at all

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • If the kitten was a really good deal, I wouldn't care if they scan the breeding parents for HCM

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Do you or would you expect a breeder to scan for HCM before you would purchase a kitten from them? Feel free to comment. (forum rules apply here.)

Lickleone

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I would expect them to scan before the kittens where conceived. Do I expect them scan the kittens? No (sorry can't do polls from Tapatalk) I don't expect them too there is only so much a breeder can do as it is I think there is to high expectations on breeders. We don't expect human babies we adopt to be scanned and come with a Heath guarantee .. We don't hand babies back to orphanages when they pick up colds yets we do so with pets we claim to love. Don't get me wrong I do not judge anyone who makes use of that in their contract. Breeders the good ones take enough preventative measures in my opinion. I am answering this after only getting an hours sleep so excuse if I'm misunderstanding the question :)

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Updated the poll answers for clarity, "scans the breeding parents..." :)

Gesundheit

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I thought the condition was static; kitty either has it or doesn't, and you'll know with one scan. Guess I need to do a little more reading.

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Gesundheit it can show up at any point in a sphynx's life so you need to scan yearly to check

Our Alfie was positive at 1 year whereas a friend's sphynx scanned positive at 7 after 6 years of scanning clear.

Of course this means a negative scan doesn't mean the cat will never get HCM but it's still responsible of the breeder to scan so they know if/when their cats have HCM. Usually they are retired and fixed if they test positive for HCM.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I would want the parents scanned yearly. Then, if their parents were
scanned yearly also, I would even feel better.
But, even though their parents are scanned and are negative, that,
doesn't mean 100% your kitten can't get it. Or have it. But, I prefer
it. I admire breeders whom breed for the better of the sphynx or anything
they choose to breed and raise.
As far as that goes. I hope one day, hcm, will be a very rare disease
and they will have a cure for.

ilovedirt

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I expect the parents will have been scanned.

captain_tinky

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I would expect the parents to be scanned and to have a health guarantee on the baby. If you are paying $1000+ you would expect the breeder to use some of the money towards getting the scan as well as taking care of the mom and the babies. That's just my opinion though!

1sphynxlover

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I wouldn't get a kitten whose parents haven't been scanned yearly or one that didn't have a health guarantee. We should all strive to have the sphynx breed as healthy as possible. I don't want anyone to have to go through the heartbreak of losing their precious loved one.