Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

HCM Scans tomorrow!

Brooke

Banned
Walter and Helen are getting their echocardiograms at the University of Florida tomorrow...fingers crossed that they come back HCM clear! :Sweat: I'll keep everyone posted.

=======================================[frszzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Nelson wanted to add his comment above. He types with his big butt.

Brooke

Banned
Paws crossed!

How often do you have echos performed and at what age did you start?

Hi EmbraceMonChat,
Walter is 2 and Helen is 6, and I've just adopted them both earlier this year. Had I gotten them as kittens, I'd scan the first time around 18 months and if all is well, scan every 2 or 3 years after that because they are pets. This is the first time I'm having them scanned. (Breeders that scan their breeding cats do it every year starting from age 1).

I lost my first sphynx boy to HCM, so it's been really important for me to have this done, not only to make sure the guys are heart-healthy (or at least to catch it early) but also to give me some peace of mind...though I'm not sure how well I could handle another HCM diagnosis if they gave me one! Fingers and toes crossed!!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I dont know if you know about Classytouch Signature Series.
He died in July and is in the pedigree of my new sphynx.
He had HCM andsomething else.
I will be scanning my next sphynx once a year because of this.
With pedigree cats you can trace the lines.
The problem when you get from ad or a rescue is most of the time you do not know if HCM runs in the lines.
Make sure you order a 5 gen pedigree when you get your kitten.

Brooke

Banned
I dont know if you know about Classytouch Signature Series.
He died in July and is in the pedigree of my new sphynx.
He had HCM andsomething else.
I will be scanning my next sphynx once a year because of this.
With pedigree cats you can trace the lines.
The problem when you get from ad or a rescue is most of the time you do not know if HCM runs in the lines.
Make sure you order a 5 gen pedigree when you get your kitten.

Mews2much,
Classytouch Signature Series was in Harold's pedigree, too
(I'm going to PM you about it, since I don't know how to read the pedigree- maybe you can help me?)

But, you make a good point, I don't know the history on any of my 4 cats that I have now (except a little bit about Helen) so its important for me to have them tested for HCM because I don't know if it runs in their lines, and HCM is genetic. On the other hand, it isn't always genetic and can pop up out of the blue, too! Better to be safe than sorry and scan all of them.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I know a few others with Siggy in the ped also.
I know how to read them.
I will explain to you how to read the ped.

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Walter and Helen are getting their echocardiograms at the University of Florida tomorrow...fingers crossed that they come back HCM clear! :Sweat: I'll keep everyone posted.

=======================================[frszzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Nelson wanted to add his comment above. He types with his big butt.

No worries I'm sure they are perfect. If anything they may check on Helen a few times simply because of how chipper and young she acts :Laugh: Walter would probably just shake his head and meow " try living with her" So absolutely NO STRESSING!!

Brooke

Banned
Walter and Helen are both....

HCM NEGATIVE!!

:Laugh::ThumbsUp::Celebrate::BigSmile:

...big sigh of relief! ahhhh...
2 down, 2 to go. Having Nelson and Mandy scanned in November!

Brooke

Banned
Here's a photo of Walter in the waiting room, wide-eyed, anxiously awaiting his HCM scan today and a photo of him on the table getting his echocardiogram by Dr. Estrada at UF. It was dark in there, so the photo is a little grainy. Walter was growling the whole time so I was petting his little head (he's all talk, though!)

They were all really happy to be scanning sphynxes. They said it's a million times easier because they don't have to deal with all the fur! :LOL:

Attachments

• 9131_1254737167304_1195823479_762666_4862469_n.jpg
    9131_1254737167304_1195823479_762666_4862469_n.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 19
  • 9131_1254736367284_1195823479_762665_4061550_n.jpg
    9131_1254736367284_1195823479_762665_4061550_n.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 19

EmbraceMonChat

Lairian
Brooke!

I am so happy to hear that they are negative!

Tell me, did the Kits like the jelly stuff they put on them? My Mau had an echo recently and she could have killed them over the shave/gel alone! LOL "How undignified...humph!"

Brooke

Banned
Brooke!

I am so happy to hear that they are negative!

Tell me, did the Kits like the jelly stuff they put on them? My Mau had an echo recently and she could have killed them over the shave/gel alone! LOL "How undignified...humph!"

hehe..they didn't seem to mind the jelly, but both of them HATED being held down on the table! Helen was squirming all over the place (I knew she would) and Walter surprised me with all his growling.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My Coco has had heart scans before.
The gel stuff gets all sticky.
She did not care at all when she had a scan.
She was almost 14 at the time.
She is not a sphynx.
My vet charged me $150 for the scan.
I am going to call UC Davis and see what they charge.
I bet it will be between $400-$500.

Back