Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

HCM Study - request for participants

Allison

Lairian
Can you help our Sphynx friends?
by VCGL 26. September 2009 09:10

The Sphynx is a wonderful breed of cat! It is beautiful and sophisticated but is also very friendly. We always look forward to opportunities to meet a Sphynx cat when it comes into the clinic because of their wonderful personality, but really we wish we saw them less frequently than we do because cats rarely come to the clinic just to visit! They come to the cardiology clinic when they are sick and unfortunately, we see quite a few Sphynx because they suffer from an inheritable form of cardiac disease called Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy. Cats with this disease may present with clinical signs such as shortness of breath. Some cats die suddenly without ever showing any clinical signs which is very devastating to everyone in the family! Although the disease is inherited, the cat does not usually show any signs of heart disease until they are at least 1 year of age.

We would like to be able to help our Sphynx friends by studying hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. At this time we are in particular need of DNA samples and information from Sphynx cats with and without this disease. If you know of a cat with this disease will you please consider helping us out by completing the questionnaire that is attached and consider sending us a blood sample for DNA extraction? We also need samples from Sphynx cats without this disease, however since this disease often does not show up until the cat is a few years of age, we would ideally have samples from unaffected cats that are at least 8 years of age.

This is a picture of Skinzin Bling of Destyny's, who does NOT have heart disease. Judy Gunby was kind enough to allow me to use her picture for this blog . Thank you Judy!

Last edited by a moderator:

Brooke

Banned
Thanks for posting, Allison! Just wanted to add a bit more here...

they are working on finding the DNA marker for HCM in the sphynx cat (since unfortunately, it is different for each breed). If this marker is found, the HCM test will be as simple as a blood-test that can be sent off from any vet's office instead of the more difficult (and more expensive) echocardiograms that have to be performed by a board-certified cardiologist.

If this is accomplished, it will (IMO) revolutionize breeding practices for our sphynxes and also make HCM testing much more accessible to the rest of us after we take them home! It could hugely reduce the numbers of sphynxes that are passing this disease to their kittens and further down their lines.

They've successfully identified this HCM marker in some other breeds already, so it WILL happen - but not without our help.

I wish I'd known about it when Harold was still alive, so I could have added his blood sample to the study. If they are still collecting healthy samples in 2 years, Helen will definitely donate to the cause when she's 8.

gizmo6370

Banned
All the more reason to buy a calender.....the money will go to the Winn Feline Foundation for the research against HCM :Wink:

http://www.zeropelagio.be/KalenderEN_2010.html

Cover2010.jpg

Brooke

Banned
So, I recently got Helen's pedigree and papers from her breeder (long, strange story how it came to be, because I got her for $50 off of craigslist) anyway...I just found out she is actually 8 YEARS OLD, and since I just had her HCM scanned a couple weeks ago, she can participate in this HCM study! yay!

Helen has her appointment with the vet tomorrow and will be donating blood to this wonderful cause (in her "brother" Harold's honor). We encourage everyone who can participate to join in. Actually, we aren't above begging!! :LOL:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
So, I recently got Helen's pedigree and papers from her breeder (long, strange story how it came to be, because I got her for $50 off of craigslist) anyway...I just found out she is actually 8 YEARS OLD, and since I just had her HCM scanned a couple weeks ago, she can participate in this HCM study! yay!

Helen has her appointment with the vet tomorrow and will be donating blood to this wonderful cause (in her "brother" Harold's honor). We encourage everyone who can participate to join in. Actually, we aren't above begging!! :LOL:

Poor Helen she has been old young and now back to old:Surprise:
It's A good thing age is just A number!
Be strong tomorrow Helen and make sure mommy gets you A treat after you are done!

Brooke

Banned
Poor Helen she has been old young and now back to old:Surprise:
It's A good thing age is just A number!
Be strong tomorrow Helen and make sure mommy gets you A treat after you are done!

I know! She's going to have an identity crisis...I found out her registered name, too, is "Mosaic"...isn't that cute?

PitRottMommy

Banned
I just wanted to let everyone know that I've worked with Dr. Meurs recently on a boxer cardiomyopathy case. She's wonderful. If you're able to help, please consider. Blood draws are generally not too stressful on cats and it takes about 5 minutes of a doctor or technician's time to get the blood needed.

If nothing else, pass this information on to other owners and sphynx breeders.

HappyLilSphynx

Lairian
Does anyone know if the study is ongoing and if more blood samples are needed? My girl was diagnosed with HCM when she was about a year and a half. My thought is they may be able to get samples from the various cats used in the program and see if they can isolate the gene(s) responsible (the breeder claimed she had never had issues before with HCM in her lines)

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Does anyone know if the study is ongoing and if more blood samples are needed? My girl was diagnosed with HCM when she was about a year and a half. My thought is they may be able to get samples from the various cats used in the program and see if they can isolate the gene(s) responsible (the breeder claimed she had never had issues before with HCM in her lines)
Sorry to hear this news. I do believe so, this thread is 6 years old however. There is ongoing studies my Dr. Kate Meurs in NC State Vet hospital I believe. Sphynx Cat Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Study « NC State Veterinary Hospital :)

Roki

Lairian
Anyone know if anything became of this research? Paris has some slight thickening at her young age already :( & I'd love to find out more info or help with a sample.

Back