Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Amy31

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
i have a question on HCM, as I'm slightly confused, so, is this most common in Sphynx cats alone? Or just any breed of cat in general? I like to browse the Internet in my spare time just to see if there's anything I'm missing in the care of my little one, and often I read Sphynx cats have no real health issues..yet I've always thought this was a very series issue with the breed? or am I just reading to much into cases of Sphynx cats having it, I guess this goes back into the ketamine issue, but shouldn't it be a given for any breed if that's the case? And why oh why do vets look at me as if I'm totally crazy when I bring it up?! I'm frightened to death of my baby developing any issues, but I'm starting to wonder if I've just got myself far to worked up on this issue and it's not as common as I'm making myself think? Any light shed on this would be great! I'm just curious, but I want to enjoy my baby rather than being hung up on something so much! TIA :)

Trisha

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My Dexter was diagnosed with a heart murmur so of course I freaked. The more research I did, the more I saw it is very common amongst many breeds of cats. I've read several articles about it being most common in American Shorthairs and Persians. Thanks to the wonderful people on this forum, I've relaxed a bit - many cats can live long lives with a heart murmur - it doesn't always mean it's HCM.
Does your kitten have a murmur?

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
HCM can happen in any cat. It has become a very large focus because breeders can scan in hopes of not passing on heart issues through a responsible breeding program. There is no guarantee that HCM will not occur in a kitten/cat where both parents were scanned negative so it is sad and frustrating. Just like in people heart disease can occur. But knowing a breeder is spending the money to scan and trying to keep their breeding program as healthy as possible helps to weed out many BYB (back yard breeders) and less heartache for owners.

Patti

Amy31

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My Dexter was diagnosed with a heart murmur so of course I freaked. The more research I did, the more I saw it is very common amongst many breeds of cats. I've read several articles about it being most common in American Shorthairs and Persians. Thanks to the wonderful people on this forum, I've relaxed a bit - many cats can live long lives with a heart murmur - it doesn't always mean it's HCM.
Does your kitten have a murmur?
No nothing! I think I'm just reading far to much into it and just worrying to much! I'm good at that! This makes me feel a lot better though! Thank you :) do you have to have regular check ups for your baby?

Amy31

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
HCM can happen in any cat. It has become a very large focus because breeders can scan in hopes of not passing on heart issues through a responsible breeding program. There is no guarantee that HCM will not occur in a kitten/cat where both parents were scanned negative so it is sad and frustrating. Just like in people heart disease can occur. But knowing a breeder is spending the money to scan and trying to keep their breeding program as healthy as possible helps to weed out many BYB (back yard breeders) and less heartache for owners.

Patti
So it's basicaly a standard worry for most breeds? So if I worry for my sphynx I should worry about my hairy baby's to? I think because they are so baby like you feel like they are more delicate than fuzzy cats, that puts it into good perspective though with the human statement, I guess it's just the same kind of thing!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
It has become a very serious problem in the breed because there are many breeding them for the buck and not keeping the welfare of the breed in mind. As long as people research their breeders and look for breeders that protect the cats and not just the breeders pocketbooks with a solid contract it makes a huge difference.

Educating yourself is key as an owner when it comes to every aspect of your pet's health. We can't live in fear, but we can certainly stay in tune to their health and regular wellness checks often catch issues before we as owners know they are brewing.

Patti

Trisha

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Dexter is about 6 months old and he has been checked every month for the past 4 months. He had a clean bill of health from my Breeder's vet - no heart murmur. But then my vet heard a murmur. I've had 4 different vets listen since and some say its really soft, some say it's at a 2, possibly 3 and another said to not even worry about it because he is still a kitten, it's barely audible and it's likely to go away. His parents were scanned for HCM last January and they were clear. My only fear is getting him neutered. I'll be taking him in again this month to see where the murmur is at and figure out what I can do to get him fixed. Unfortunately, I have had a hell of a time finding a vet that is well versed in Sphynxes.

If I were you I would not worry about it unless the kitten becomes lethargic or short of breath after playing for a short amount of time.

Amy31

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
It has become a very serious problem in the breed because there are many breeding them for the buck and not keeping the welfare of the breed in mind. As long as people research their breeders and look for breeders that protect the cats and not just the breeders pocketbooks with a solid contract it makes a huge difference.

Educating yourself is key as an owner when it comes to every aspect of your pet's health. We can't live in fear, but we can certainly stay in tune to their health and regular wellness checks often catch issues before we as owners know they are brewing.

Patti
Thank you :)

Amy31

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Dexter is about 6 months old and he has been checked every month for the past 4 months. He had a clean bill of health from my Breeder's vet - no heart murmur. But then my vet heard a murmur. I've had 4 different vets listen since and some say its really soft, some say it's at a 2, possibly 3 and another said to not even worry about it because he is still a kitten, it's barely audible and it's likely to go away. His parents were scanned for HCM last January and they were clear. My only fear is getting him neutered. I'll be taking him in again this month to see where the murmur is at and figure out what I can do to get him fixed. Unfortunately, I have had a hell of a time finding a vet that is well versed in Sphynxes.

If I were you I would not worry about it unless the kitten becomes lethargic or short of breath after playing for a short amount of time.
Oh bless, well I guess that's sort of good news? Oh goodness don't even get me started on vets! They look at me like a fool whenever I memtion HCM to them, I've just found a vet that doesn't use ketamine as of all the bad things I've read, I'm defiantly going to have him checked over, at least it'll but my mind at rest even if for a little while, thank you so much for your help :)

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Just because kitten doesn't have a murmur doesn't mean they are clear of HCM, similarly, if a kitten does have a murmur it doesn't mean they have HCM.

Also, HCM can be symptomless, so I totally disagree about waiting to the point where the cat is lethargic and out of breath, by this point the HCM may be severe or even progressed into CHF!

One of my cats was diagnosed at 11 months, the vet had previously not found a murmur and there were no symtoms.

I would recommend getting kitties scanned at 1 year old for HCM, then afterwards every 1-2 years. There are some organizations that arrange low cost scanning clinics throughout the US, so you are not having to pay ~$500 at the cardiologist.

From what I heard, it can happen to any breed but is more common in sphynx, maine coon, ragdoll and persians.

Trisha

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Yes, I agree - HCM can be symptomless. I did not mean that the only signs were heart murmurs or shortness of breath and lethargy, but those are good indicators in a very young kitten.

Symptoms, no symptoms, heart murmur or not - it is totally not worth it to worry yourself over it right now. As Zoinks mentioned, get a scan at 1 year. I don't know if it's against forum rules to mention clinics specifically, but I can message you the name of a good one if interested.

Amy31

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Just because kitten doesn't have a murmur doesn't mean they are clear of HCM, similarly, if a kitten does have a murmur it doesn't mean they have HCM.

Also, HCM can be symptomless, so I totally disagree about waiting to the point where the cat is lethargic and out of breath, by this point the HCM may be severe or even progressed into CHF!

One of my cats was diagnosed at 11 months, the vet had previously not found a murmur and there were no symtoms.

I would recommend getting kitties scanned at 1 year old for HCM, then afterwards every 1-2 years. There are some organizations that arrange low cost scanning clinics throughout the US, so you are not having to pay ~$500 at the cardiologist.

From what I heard, it can happen to any breed but is more common in sphynx, maine coon, ragdoll and persians.
Yes Ive read there are no symptoms, I'll have to find a good cardiologist in the UK when he's of proper age, I was just wondering in general as there are so many conflicting views on the Internet, and obviously o don't want to miss anything that may harm my baby! I would like to believe he will be a happy healthy little thing but obviously ill do everything in my power to confirm that :) it's a very horrible thing!

Amy31

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Yes, I agree - HCM can be symptomless. I did not mean that the only signs were heart murmurs or shortness of breath and lethargy, but those are good indicators in a very young kitten.

Symptoms, no symptoms, heart murmur or not - it is totally not worth it to worry yourself over it right now. As Zoinks mentioned, get a scan at 1 year. I don't know if it's against forum rules to mention clinics specifically, but I can message you the name of a good one if interested.
Yes you're right, it's not worh the worry, there's not much I can do till he's at lease 1!! I live in the UK so if they are UK based that'd be great! Haha thank you for all your help, I shall sleep slightly better tonight :)

Back