Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

HCM

Sphanks

Lairian
Hey guys!

So Oli has just turned one year old :)

What is the deal with HCM testing...is it normal/standard to get your Sphynx tested for HCM around one year of age? If so, where does one get one of these testings?

The breeder who I got him from claimed that his parents were clear of HCM but I just am an overprotective mom and want to make sure that his health is 100%. If anyone has any advice on this matter at all it would be greatly appreciated :) Thanks!

Oh and also, I need to switch his food from specifically kitten food to a regular cat food. Any suggestions on brands of food? Or raw food? He is currently eating Royal Canin Kitten wet and dry.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
You can switch the kitten Royal Canin, to adult dry and wet in Royal Canin.
I don't know if you know how to switch slowly or not. But, this is the best
way.
1st week : 1/4 New wet and dry mixed with 3/4 old.
2nd week: 1/2 New and 1/2 old
3week : 3/4 New and 1/4 old
4th : week all new.

As far as the HCM Scan, you have to go to a Board Certfied Cardiologist.
They need to be scanned between the ages of 2-3 years old.
If everything is good, again between the ages of 5-6 years.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys!

So Oli has just turned one year old :)

What is the deal with HCM testing...is it normal/standard to get your Sphynx tested for HCM around one year of age? If so, where does one get one of these testings?

The breeder who I got him from claimed that his parents were clear of HCM but I just am an overprotective mom and want to make sure that his health is 100%. If anyone has any advice on this matter at all it would be greatly appreciated :) Thanks!

Oh and also, I need to switch his food from specifically kitten food to a regular cat food. Any suggestions on brands of food? Or raw food? He is currently eating Royal Canin Kitten wet and dry.
As @Hairless Blessing had mentioned any BC cardiologist will be able to scan. Breeding parents are normally done at 1 year of age and every year there after in most cases, I would imagine if your seriously worried about the disease and piece of mind and your not breeding you could get it done at that time as well. There are affordable clinics if you search around, also some cat shows offer discounted pricing, check in your local area. :)

Here is a good poll on food - http://sphynxlair.com/community/threads/what-brand-cat-food-do-you-use.60/