Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

HCM

saffwolf

Lairian
Hi everyone!
Yesterday we found out little ducky has a heart murmur
We have just moved to a new vets and they are much more knowledgeable on the breed than our previous vets.
The vets didn't say too much about it other than that they would keep an eye on it.
Does anyone know of anything I can do to help keep her healthy? She's only 10 months old and full of beans at the minute!

Attachments

• IMAG0077.jpg
    IMAG0077.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 43

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Glad you found a vet you are more comfortable with. I noticed you titled your thread HCM. But just because your baby has a murmur it does not necessarily mean HCM. My boy has had a murmur since he was a kitten and now he is 13 years old. It wasn't until 4 moths ago that he was diagnosed with true heart disease which at his age is not necessarily abnormal. At a year of age getting your baby HCM scanned would be my recommendation. Did your vet say what stage the murmur is? Some have stress murmurs from going to the vet sand are very slight. Also some kittens outgrow small murmurs by the time they are 1. If diagnosed with HCM they will recommend meds to slow down any the progression. BTW Love the pic of your baby @saffwolf.

Patti

Last edited:

saffwolf

Lairian
Thanks Patti we are going back with her in three weeks so I will have to remember to ask about the murmur because the vet didn't say much about it so I'm not sure what stage it is. I'll see if we can get her booked in for a scan too while I'm there
I think the our problem was not knowing about any of this and I do feel more informed now so thank you for that. :cat: big kisses for your boy xx

Frankiesmum

Lairian
I had a cat with a heart murmur (inbred) who, with good diet and care in his old age, reached 17 before his failing kidneys caused his death. It doesn't necessarily mean HCM, and may simply clear up in time. My cat's did not, but it caused no ill effects at all.

mms1972

Lairian
We also found out our 6 month old kitten has a heart murmur recently. It's significant and possibly stage 4.... Our breeder suggested for us to wait until she is a year old and do the heart scan and go from there. My girl acts completely normal so I think we will listen to her advice and do it toward the end of the year.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@saffwolf Just a reminder that if your baby ever needs anesthesia for a procedure, be sure to tell them NOT to use Ketamine. It has been known to be an issue/fatal to this breed especially those with heart issues. Ask for ISO to safe.

Patti

saffwolf

Lairian
@saffwolf Just a reminder that if your baby ever needs anesthesia for a procedure, be sure to tell them NOT to use Ketamine. It has been known to be an issue/fatal to this breed especially those with heart issues. Ask for ISO to safe.

Patti

Thanks I'll ask the vets to make a note on her records about this. We will be taking her to be spayed soon too so I'll mention it to make sure

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@saffwolf when any cat is being examined by the vet and especially when the vet is listening to the cat's heart, always pet your cat's head and calm him/her down.
The vet that I used for over 30 years had a ton of experience and he taught me that many, many years ago. What sounds like something could be wrong with a cat's heart ... could just be from their heart racing so from fear. Once you calm your kitty down, the vet will be able to hear a true heart problem.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@saffwolf , welcome! She is a cutie! Keep us updated-
Fwiw, my vet also like @GoldHazel mentioned the same about excitement.
On re-exam they are often calmer and check fine andor with time outgrow slight murmurs by the time she is spayed - Also agree NO Ketamine because of rebound effect on heart and have them write it in big letters on their chart

I ask for "ISO" isloflurane gas anesthesetic- have used this with my young heart condition kitty to my old old dog when he had a dental done

Looking forward to pics and your journey with us!

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
As other have said a murmur doesn't mean hcm. One of my Sphynx was 14.5 years old and she had had a murmur all her life. I have had 2 other hcm positive cats and one had no murmur at all until severe heart ideas was present.
She is a button. Hope she continues to fill your days with joy

saffwolf

Lairian
As other have said a murmur doesn't mean hcm. One of my Sphynx was 14.5 years old and she had had a murmur all her life. I have had 2 other hcm positive cats and one had no murmur at all until severe heart ideas was present.
She is a button. Hope she continues to fill your days with joy
I feel Much more informed now I'll keep you all updated on our journey

Back