Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

HCM

Hi everyone,
So Cassian went back today to see the cardiologist to have his heart checked and it looks like he might possibly have HCM!! He’s fine in himself, still a cheeky little kitten (10 months old now) was wondering if anyone has had similar? Obviously I’m worried, they want to rescan him in 12 months but to take him back sooner if I see any changes in him
Thanks in advance xx
83612114-54F6-4151-A891-43630BBC3226.jpeg B383313C-6CB3-4B2F-8C6D-3A18C4E58CBE.jpeg

Toa and Ross

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Cassian is such a handsome boy.

I don't know much about HCM so hopefully others will chime in.
But from what I read here online it's seen more that kittens show signs of a heart murmur. They say untill 1 years old a kitten can outgrow it. Mostly scans are taken after they 1 year old.

So all fingers and paws crossed Cassian will have a perfect healthy scan next year!

Cassian is such a handsome boy.

I don't know much about HCM so hopefully others will chime in.
But from what I read here online it's seen more that kittens show signs of a heart murmur. They say untill 1 years old a kitten can outgrow it. Mostly scans are taken after they 1 year old.

So all fingers and paws crossed Cassian will have a perfect healthy scan next year!
Thanks xx

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Like @Toa and Ross , I don't have experience with HCM, but I just wanted to say that Cassian is gorgeous and that I am sending you positive vibes. Others will chime in as there are a number here who have had HCM experiences.

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
I know it is scary. I am hoping vet suggested to keep a log of breaths per minute. That is the best way to determine if things have changed. I am assuming no meds yet by your post. Just remember every day is a gift keep enjoying.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Josie Ent , head smooches to Cassian

Did the vet say what "possibly" HCM was ?
Did they grade it?

Did they think he had "ghost heart murmurs" that kittens We have seen outgrew?

Positve vibes sent
I have dealt with HCM too ((hugs)

Kudos to you for getting the scan done and a baseline . Then with your vet you can manage accordingly - many of our kitties have lived happy long loves with management -
Stay positive and keep us updated often

Patti gave great advice about keeping a log - the vet can show you how to count the breathe per minute etc to keep an eye on

Last edited:
I know it is scary. I am hoping vet suggested to keep a log of breaths per minute. That is the best way to determine if things have changed. I am assuming no meds yet by your post. Just remember every day is a gift keep enjoying.
Yeah I’ve got to monitor it’s breaths just to get to know what’s normal for him, so if anything changes I’ll notice, and get him back in. No meds as they are not that worried just yet as it’s not progressing which is good.
xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Josie Ent , head smooches to Cassian

Did the vet say what "possibly" HCM was ?
Did they grade it?

Did they think he had "ghost heart murmurs" that kittens We have seen outgrew?

Positve vibes sent
I have dealt with HCM too ((hugs)

Kudos to you for getting the scan dome and a baseline . Then with your vet you can manage accordingly - many of our kitties have lived happy long loves with management -
Stay positive and keep us updated often

Patti gave great advice about keeping a log - the vet can show you how to count the breathe per minute etc to keep an eye on
I can’t remember the other condition they said it could be but it more than likely HCM. I’ll keep you all posted but hopefully I won’t have anymore news until his next scan fingers crossed
Thanks again everyone xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoda mom

Staff member
Head smooches sent ! I know the initial shock too
I took a deep breathe, follow my vets instructions and monitor - no meds to date .
I enjoy everyday as a gift .
the initial shock settled amd I monitor and go about sphynx life and love :)

Head smooches to adorable Cassian!

Lynn W

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I've never had to deal with HCM, so I'm not any help, but Cassian is a beautiful little guy! I hope it is something he will grow out of as he gets older. Cuddles and kisses to Cassian. :kiss: