Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Heart Murmur and Castration

gollumthesphynx

Lairian
Joined
May 16, 2019
Messages
7
Points
4
Hello my fellow Sphynx Lovers!

I'm starting this thread out of concern for my 6.5 month old male sphynx, Gollum. He is scheduled for his castration this Friday. However, when I took him to the vet yesterday evening for a general check up, they diagnosed him with a grade 2 heart mumur (he's had a heart murmur since he was a kitten). This vet doesn't know this since this is her first time with him.
She had provided me with a number of tests and scans that I should perform beforehand to see whether the heart murmur is simply physiological or a symptom of a heart disease. I guess this is to ensure that it is safe for my baby Gollum to be under anesthesia.
I had spoken to my previous vet this morning and he mentioned that he felt comfortable doing the procedure. He mentions that Gollum is still young and still has a chance to outgrow the murmur. And I was told by many people, and have also read on the forum that the recommended time for the first Ultrasound scan should be around 1 year of age.

I'm growing in anxiety. If only I had the financial support to go forward with the scans and tests, I 1000000% would. But the fact that I simply cannot afford to pay upfront $1300-1500 for these scans, at the moment, is heartbreaking.

If anyone has any advice or words of comfort and encouragement they could offer, I would be deeply appreciate it <3
 

Catzzzmeow

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jan 16, 2011
Messages
28,593
Points
673
Ideally it is great to wait until they are a year to scan them, but if your vet feels it is safer to get their baseline scan earlier before surgery they must be trying to protect themselves and your baby. I always ask for bloodwork before they get any anesthesia. Also a reminder to discuss with your vet not to use Ketamine as the anesthesia.

Your vet says they feel comfortable...perhaps talk about doing bloodwork and not using Ketamine. Ask how much risk is reduced by doing that. Neutering is very very fast.


 

gollumthesphynx

Lairian
Joined
May 16, 2019
Messages
7
Points
4
Ideally it is great to wait until they are a year to scan them, but if your vet feels it is safer to get their baseline scan earlier before surgery they must be trying to protect themselves and your baby. I always ask for bloodwork before they get any anesthesia. Also a reminder to discuss with your vet not to use Ketamine as the anesthesia.

Your vet says they feel comfortable...perhaps talk about doing bloodwork and not using Ketamine. Ask how much risk is reduced by doing that. Neutering is very very fast.



Thank you so much. I'm going to seek a second opinion, so I'm holding off his castration for another week. I feel like I need to do more research and figure out what's the best course for him and what I'm comfortable with.
I'll be sure to ask for the blood work to be done as well. Do you mean to include the ProBNP as well?
 

Sheldon13

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2014
Messages
5,984
Points
603
Your previous vet is right, he very likely will outgrow it. That’s not to say it for sure isn’t a symptom of heart disease, just that it is unlikely. Let me ask you this: if you got all of the tests done and found out he had heart disease would you still get the surgery? Having heart disease, especially early stages like his would be if he had it, is unlikely to cause him problems under anesthesia. They do have to monitor a little more and may give him a different drug regimen, but they could still do the surgery.

As a note for the future, I HIGHLY encourage you to purchase insurance on your little guy. At his age it will probably only cost $25-30 a month and I PROMISE you it will be worth it if he ever has any sort of serious issue.


Edit: I do agree that basic bloodwork should be done before any anesthetic procedure.
 

gollumthesphynx

Lairian
Joined
May 16, 2019
Messages
7
Points
4
Your previous vet is right, he very likely will outgrow it. That’s not to say it for sure isn’t a symptom of heart disease, just that it is unlikely. Let me ask you this: if you got all of the tests done and found out he had heart disease would you still get the surgery? Having heart disease, especially early stages like his would be if he had it, is unlikely to cause him problems under anesthesia. They do have to monitor a little more and may give him a different drug regimen, but they could still do the surgery.

As a note for the future, I HIGHLY encourage you to purchase insurance on your little guy. At his age it will probably only cost $25-30 a month and I PROMISE you it will be worth it if he ever has any sort of serious issue.


Edit: I do agree that basic bloodwork should be done before any anesthetic procedure.
HI Sheldon13! Thank you so much for you insight.

And yes, I would still do the surgery. Originally, I had prioritized neutering him because I don't want him to start spraying. But after consulting this new vet, it's making me second guess. Don't get me wrong, eventually I will have the echo done, but I was told to wait until he reaches 1 year of age. It's also a matter of financial ability. For now, I'll move ahead with the surgery next Friday and complete the blood work. However, when you and @Catzzzmeow, mention getting blood work done, do you mean it to include the ProBNP?

And yes, I'm looking into getting insurance for him as we speak! Thank you :)
 

Sheldon13

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2014
Messages
5,984
Points
603
HI Sheldon13! Thank you so much for you insight.

And yes, I would still do the surgery. Originally, I had prioritized neutering him because I don't want him to start spraying. But after consulting this new vet, it's making me second guess. Don't get me wrong, eventually I will have the echo done, but I was told to wait until he reaches 1 year of age. It's also a matter of financial ability. For now, I'll move ahead with the surgery next Friday and complete the blood work. However, when you and @Catzzzmeow, mention getting blood work done, do you mean it to include the ProBNP?

And yes, I'm looking into getting insurance for him as we speak! Thank you :)
I’m not sure if it includes ProBNP or not. Just ask for the “standard” preanesthetic blood panel to be done.

I use Healthy Paws insurance and they have been great. Never given me any trouble whatsoever with claims.
 

Catzzzmeow

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jan 16, 2011
Messages
28,593
Points
673
Sorry, no I don’t believe the Pro BNP is part of the pre-surgery bloodwork. Pro BNP really targets the heart. You can discuss with your vet the cost and benefits to having it done in conjunction with pre-surgery testing. It is good to have a baseline but I understand you are trying to prioritize/ budget accordingly.

As far as insurance, with a murmur detected, most insurance companies will not cover as it is considered a pre-existing condition now that it has been detected. it’s something to definitely get clarification on.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 

Sheldon13

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2014
Messages
5,984
Points
603
Sorry, no I don’t believe the Pro BNP is part of the pre-surgery bloodwork. Pro BNP really targets the heart. You can discuss with your vet the cost and benefits to having it done in conjunction with pre-surgery testing. It is good to have a baseline but I understand you are trying to prioritize/ budget accordingly.

As far as insurance, with a murmur detected, most insurance companies will not cover as it is considered a pre-existing condition now that it has been detected.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
They would still cover some conditions “surrounding” the condition of a heart murmur. I know this because Ellie has her tail amputated before we got on insurance. Then later, but before she was diagnosed with feline hyperaesthesia, the vets were concerned her pain in her lower back was due to the surgery on the tail And they still covered the pain treatment for that. Including acupuncture. :)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 

Toa and Ross

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jan 23, 2015
Messages
26,181
Points
643
Great advice given. It’s great you’re doing research before deciding, Keep us updated.
 

Yoda mom

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Apr 23, 2012
Messages
18,164
Points
653
@gollumthesphynx ((hugs n head smooches))) great advice given..

I wanted to share my experience with my girl Yoda...
when I first got her ( backyard breeder surprise bday gift from someone) I took her to the vet for a spay at 8 mos... the vet listened to her heart and said she had heart issues... My vet used Isloflurane and propofol for the spay and pre surgery regular bloodwork.. nothing extensive..

she came thru like a champ and bounced back from surgery quickly..
I remember I was sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for the vet to call me when she was in for her spay surgery..



also ... I had the vet mark her chart NOOOOO Ketamine anesthesia
as well as marking her crate too NO Ketamine

you can also ask if you need to bring a blanket for the recovery cage and what the follow up care is..
mine have never needed the cone of shame...

My other adoptee neutered at 11 mos also had a grade 2 murmur.... he was neutered with isoflurane and propofol too and had no issues..
My Yoda man adoptee neutered grade 3 murmur just turned 9 last month and acts like a kitten

positive vibes! following closely for updates

lots of great info shared by members ...thanks everyone!
kudos to you for doing your research for an informed decision
Hugs n head smooches
 
Top