Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Heart murmur at 9 months

scots

Lairian
hi friends

My kitten cocaina went for his first echocardiogram, just for routine.
The vet heard a heart murmur but could not go trough with the echocardiogram, since the kitten was very nervous and wouldn't go still.
I will go back next week and he will perform the exam while kitten is sedated.
Im terrified that he has HCM at such a young age, i was going to have him neutered, but now im just so very afraid to do whatever :( :( :(

Your thoughts or experiences please

Attachments

• IMG_6459.JPG
    IMG_6459.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 33

Kate

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Don't panic yet ... heart murmurs are pretty common, and they aren't always a death sentence. Try to remain positive until you have the final results of the echo. Maybe you'll be surprised, and it'll be nothing.

Sending hugs, I know how stressful this must be. My little guy was diagnosed with a murmur when he was just under a year, and doesn't seem to be bothered by it at all. He'll be turning 4 this year.

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
I agree with @Kate. We had a boy with a heart murmur since he was a kitten and lived 13 wonderful years. The echo will give you a lot more information. In the mean time, just be sure your vet is not using Ketamine an an anesthesia. Please update us.

Patti

Toa and Ross

Staff member
As the others said heart murmers are very common with kittens. The heart murmur can go away when your baby gets older. Or it can stay. But it can still be a mild heart murmur that will cause no health issues.

All paws and fingers crossed next week you'll get good news.

Natasja

Elaina

Lairian
Try not to panic! I've been told Gabbi has a heart murmur one visit and the next they cannot hear it! Two echocardiograms, one showed she did, the other she didn't! It can be down to the stress of getting to the vets and the uncertainty of being at the vets. Your kitty will be OK! :)

Yoda mom

Staff member
Agree with the Great advice and experiences shared
((Hugs)) keep us updated
Head smooches , great picture :)

MarleneQ

Lairian
My kitten was also diagnosed with a heart murmur and we are getting an ultrasound done just to make sure that she is ok. She seems to be the only one with anything "wrong" from her litter (I reached out to her breeder for any info that he may have) so I am hoping that maybe it was just because she was stressed out. She did however have a URI and is being treated with antibiotics. But hey, I am not in panic mode, things happen. If anyone here has children, you'll understand that PLENTY of things go wrong, are treated, and then you continue on just fine. There is no need to freak out. Just another bump in the road. Best of luck!