Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Heart Murmur Question

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Ok, so we are still hunting for a kitten that we can afford. I found a Cornish Rex, here is the email about him:

One is a 5 month old kitten with a heart murmur. He is neutered, dhot UTD and microchipped. In good general health. Very sweet. $175. Heart is a level 3 of 6 possible. Undetermine life expectancy. Have not spent the money for a echocardiogram

He would still need to be shipped, that's another 250, and I worry about the stress it would cause him also. I don't know what level 3 means, if anyone has any info. opinions, or advice it is appreciated.:Laugh:

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Ok level 3 is kinda bad.
My Meeko has a 2/3 heart murmur.
That cat should be scanned for HCM.
If he has HCM it will progress farther.
Shipping can cause stress and yes I know of cats that died being shipped.
Do you want me to talk to my friend who is a cornish rex breeder?
She will give you great advice and may have kittens for a good price?

Fester

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
After a quick consult with Dr.wikipedia:Smile:, Murmurs are rated on how loud they are. A level 3 means wherever the doc puts his stethoscope on the chest, it can still be heard.

As far as I can tell the louder it is, the more concerning. but it's kinda like describing a noise to a mechanic:
"my car makes a little noise"
"okay, let's set up an appointment to check it out"

compared to
"my car sets off other people's car alarms"
"I'll send a tow truck"

only a cardiologist can say what the murmur means.

I dont know much but you asked for opinions! I personally wouldn't do it. The heart murmur from the posts here doesnt sound good and I wouldn't put that extra stress on shipping the kitty. Just my thoughts! Good luck :Smile::Smile:

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Ok level 3 is kinda bad.
My Meeko has a 2/3 heart murmur.
That cat should be scanned for HCM.
If he has HCM it will progress farther.
Shipping can cause stress and yes I know of cats that died being shipped.
Do you want me to talk to my friend who is a cornish rex breeder?
She will give you great advice and may have kittens for a good price?

Yes M2M that would be great, We would consider an adult also, but really would prefer a kitten. Sex and color are unimportant

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Ok I will talk to her.
In fact I will see her May 8th at the show.

I am going to write her now.
She may have a older kitten you never know and she cares about HCM.
She used to breed sphynx.

I don't really have an opinion either way...you have to do what feels right for you, your family and your circumstances. Tough decision.
I don't evny you.
But I do wish you all the best in whatever you decide.:Laugh:

With my cats, one had a level 3 and one had a level 2. Both had echos before I committed to buying them. Both cat's murmurs went away completely by age 1.5 - 2, which happens a lot with cats and dogs.

A big reason you should insist on an echo is because when cats are stressed (like in a vet's office) their hearts can sound like they have a murmur or more of a murmur than they really have. Having the vet visualize them with an echo will give you a more concrete idea of what you may be dealing with if you choose them.

Good luck! I bought mine even with the murmurs because I was in love with them and didn't want someone to snatch them up merely because they were "discounted."

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
With my cats, one had a level 3 and one had a level 2. Both had echos before I committed to buying them. Both cat's murmurs went away completely by age 1.5 - 2, which happens a lot with cats and dogs.

A big reason you should insist on an echo is because when cats are stressed (like in a vet's office) their hearts can sound like they have a murmur or more of a murmur than they really have. Having the vet visualize them with an echo will give you a more concrete idea of what you may be dealing with if you choose them.

Good luck! I bought mine even with the murmurs because I was in love with them and didn't want someone to snatch them up merely because they were "discounted."
This is very helpful, I have never even seen a picture of the kitten so am not in love with him. I am in love with the idea of having a kitten. I do worry about shipping stress on this little guy and the breeder is not wanting to do an echo. So taking all into account I think I will pass on this one. I hope that someone near him will meet him and love him and he won't need to be shipped anywhere. I shall continue looking:Smile:

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

Maybe my friend will have something that may work out.
You never know.

Harry has a level 3, he take 1/2 an atenol every morning, goes for regualr chest xrays and bllod worka nd heart scans. He will be turning 5 in May. One day at a time. He as been unchanged for the past almost 4 years. He can stay that way and live a long normal life or it can get worse, you jsut don't know. We will be purring and praying for you all.