Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Heart problems/coughing

CorennaRoyal

Lairian
Is coughing a sign of heart problems? Iv never had a sphynx with hcm or any other issue for that matter, but I am soon welcoming a beautiful new sphynx into our family that does have a cough.. a previous vet had apparently said 'it may be heart related' but nothing was done after this.. Any ideas? I'd spend whatever money to help/ease/cure any issues just wanting some advice really

Josie Ent

Lairian
Hi coughing is usually a sign of a heart problems in dogs more than cats. But if your worried I’d still get him checked out, my boy had a cough and I thought the same his heart. I booked him in for a scan and he does have HCM but totally unrelated to the cough that was a bacterial infection!? So kinda lucky he was coughing maybe x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoda mom

Staff member
@CorennaRoyal , welcome to the lair family
Bless you for opening your heart and Home To this sweetie - do you have a pic ? How old is she ?
Are you adopting her ?

I have adoptees - when I adopted Toby I asked if she could take him for a wellness check -
For a listen to his heart , lungs and his vaccinations . She emailed me a copy of the vet visit notes. She actually took him with a free vet cost coupon to Banfield .

Have you met this kitty? Any signs of upper respiratory infection? Any reported sneezing or watering eyes?
A cough could be several different things - heart , allergies etc . Even have seen so,e Sphynx here with asthma
We have had several kitties here that have lived long lives with certain heart issues , some helped with medication.
3 of my 4 adoptees have heart murmurs -
The HCM scanning prices vary - you can call your vet amd ask for an estimate for a HCM scan - often times they have a trav,sing cardiologist .

Do you have a video of the cough?

Also , it is not uncommon for kitties to have a stress related murmur during vet visits thst on rechecks may be gone. Kittens can have ghost murmurs they outgrow.

When I adopt I kindly request a copy of their vet chart notes emailed to me .
I have always had aweso,e people I adopted from with full disclosure -

Insurance will not cover preexisting
With adult adoptees just about everthing could be pre existing so ... I got a "care credit "card -
It's awesome if you stay on top of it - their are 6 mos promos - I use it for my crew and have never paid a dime of interest - it can be used for people stuff too - dental glasses etc .
Just wanted to share -

Will be following closely for updates

CorennaRoyal

Lairian
@Yoda mom thankyou for your lengthy reply.
I went to reserve a baby sphynx the woman had lots of sphynx she quite obviously looks after. All appear well. I spent 5-10minutes with the stunning girl not the kitten we persevered haha.. he ran off, she seemed calm, just clung to me. No weezing no cough no watery eyes. She just seemed a very quiet cat, a small lump on her neck is all I noticed really which could be anything.. I was later informed she was up for adoption so I messaged the next day to say I would like to take her too.. She said she has a cough.. and a previous vet said it could be a heart issue but never said any more/no more vet visits since I think.. even if this baby has hcm I want her I'm totally in love.. I have taken out insurance as it has not been confirmed that she has any illness. Once she's home I will monitor her and if I notice any worrying signs will then contact my vet. If anything is discovered I will contact the insurance company x

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Yoda mom thankyou for your lengthy reply.
I went to reserve a baby sphynx the woman had lots of sphynx she quite obviously looks after. All appear well. I spent 5-10minutes with the stunning girl not the kitten we persevered haha.. he ran off, she seemed calm, just clung to me. No weezing no cough no watery eyes. She just seemed a very quiet cat, a small lump on her neck is all I noticed really which could be anything.. I was later informed she was up for adoption so I messaged the next day to say I would like to take her too.. She said she has a cough.. and a previous vet said it could be a heart issue but never said any more/no more vet visits since I think.. even if this baby has hcm I want her I'm totally in love.. I have taken out insurance as it has not been confirmed that she has any illness. Once she's home I will monitor her and if I notice any worrying signs will then contact my vet. If anything is discovered I will contact the insurance company x
This seems like a great approach. Congrats - they say a cat picks the person, not the other way around. You're it :love:

CorennaRoyal

Lairian
Her name is Neegan, I don't have het yet I pick her up in a few days, I do have photos of nova and Travis though ☺ novas in colour Travis black and white photo

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1541539606057.jpg
    FB_IMG_1541539606057.jpg
    359.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 20181105_164303.jpg
    20181105_164303.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 27

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Welcome to sphynxlair. Congratulations with your soon to be new addition Neegan. It's great she choose you and you fell in love with her. Nova and Travis are super cute!

CorennaRoyal

Lairian
Hey, update

I got a photo of Neegan today, and a message to say she tends to cough after eating? X

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181108-211116_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20181108-211116_WhatsApp.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 21

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
That's quite the trio! All very beautiful in their own unique ways!
My family has been looking for a second sphynx for sometime now.... Everyone warned me that they are 'Pringles cats' (once you pop, you can't stop)! You and your crew seem to have really taken that term to heart! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: 1, 2, & 3 sphynx, just like that. Hopefully, we will be catching up to you soon, lol.

Sheldon13

Staff member
Awww what a sweet girl! She will be so happy with her new family!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back