Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Heat Rash/Bumps over my poor kitty.

EmilyAnderson

Lairian
Hi there! I'm new to the forum & this is my first post.

My sweet 1 year old sphynx developed a rash. The rash doesn't seem to bother her at all. I've taken her to the vet, who did give her antiobiotics (with my insistence) but didn't offer much advice other than an oatmeal bath.

She is currently on Blue Buffalo Basics. She spends most of her down time lounging in our window cat bed. I'm almost positive the bumps are caused by a heat rash. Does this look similar to a heat rash you've encountered? If so, what do you recommend I do for it (other than limit prolonged heat exposure)?

I do give her a bath with either oatmeal shampoo or a waterless bath with an oil solution made for the sphynx breed.

I'd appreciate your thoughts & recommendations!

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_4040.JPG
    IMG_4040.JPG
    170.4 KB · Views: 883
  • IMG_4041.JPG
    IMG_4041.JPG
    156.7 KB · Views: 822

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I would seek a second opinion. This is quite excessive for a skin issue. I am not a vet but our one boy had something similar and it was a bacterial or staph infection. The vet prescribed Chlorhexidine pads with Neoprefdef powder that we sprinkled on after using the pad. He did have to wear a cone while being treated. @EmilyAnderson

Yoda mom

Staff member
@EmilyAnderson , welcoming you to the lair family -
What is her name ?:)

I too agree with a second opinion
Sure others will chime with their experiences , some ideas to have your vet rule

We have seen some kitties get yeasty infections from certain litters - worlds best Was one I can think of thst some csts are sensitive too..

Please keep us updated often and a lair full of positve healing vibes you get your girl a diagnosis amd skin issue resolved

Looking forward to your journey with us
Jump in and enjoy this fun friendly bunch :)

Sphynx Skin Conditions

Be sure to read to the bottom of links for "similar threads" amd the upper right search box is a good tool too for more info

Last edited:

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome to sphynxlair, good to have you.
It looks like a yeast infection to me also.
I would get a second opinion.
Ask them to to check for a yeast infection.
Also, of course whatever else they, want.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi there! I'm new to the forum & this is my first post.

My sweet 1 year old sphynx developed a rash. The rash doesn't seem to bother her at all. I've taken her to the vet, who did give her antiobiotics (with my insistence) but didn't offer much advice other than an oatmeal bath.

She is currently on Blue Buffalo Basics. She spends most of her down time lounging in our window cat bed. I'm almost positive the bumps are caused by a heat rash. Does this look similar to a heat rash you've encountered? If so, what do you recommend I do for it (other than limit prolonged heat exposure)?

I do give her a bath with either oatmeal shampoo or a waterless bath with an oil solution made for the sphynx breed.

I'd appreciate your thoughts & recommendations!

Thank you!
Great advice thus far, have you been using the same food or has that changed recently? Many times it seems to be a food allergy when rashes occur. Switching to a grain free diet can sometimes help - L.I.D. Limited Ingredient Diets® Green Pea & Duck Dry Cat Formula | Natural Balance Pet Foods :)

EmilyAnderson

Lairian
Thank you for your posts! I have an appointment for a second opinion with a vet this week. I'll let you know what they say. Gertie is currently on a no grain diet - Blue Buffalo Basics. Thankful the rash doesn't seem to bother her, but hoping it gets resolved soon!

Back