Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Heated Blankets?

BusterTheCat

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hello all. At the beginning of winter, I bought Buster his very first heated blanket. It's amazing and super cozy! Has anyone else gotten one for their Sphynx? I am always very nervous about having it on when I'm not laying with him. I also get nervous about it getting too hot (I can control the temperature). I know he can always leave if he gets too warm, plus we've had a heated cat house his whole life which he's obsessed with. So, who else uses a heated blanket? Do you leave it on when you're not in the room?

Here it is!
B0BTTLF.jpg

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Wow that really is a comfy heated blanket. I never saw one like this. Have to go look for one.

Jaden

Lairian
I got my little guy one he's loves it mine is a king size so I can control the temp on both sides with two different controllers is really fluffy too!

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Oh, we've been looking at getting a heating blanket for Loki and Gatsby, I think they would LOVE it!!!! I would love to find one that has an auto turn off after about 2-3 hours.

Where did you find one like that @Jaden?? Sounds amazing!

Jaden

Lairian
I got mine at bed bath and beyond, it auto shuts off after 6 hours, its just really big so it has two plug in sides I leave the one side I sleep on lower than my boys side so he sleeps over on the other side than on me lol

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Jaden, Thanks for the reply! I will have to go to Bed Bath and Beyond then and look for some! I know they will love it, and glad to know it also has an auto shut off! :):)

BusterTheCat

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Mine has an auto shut off as well, I guess I just am unsure of how much I trust the technology of it :shy: but it was pretty expensive and I'm sure it works as it's supposed to. I just have to get used to the idea of it!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Mine has an auto shut off as well, I guess I just am unsure of how much I trust the technology of it :shy: but it was pretty expensive and I'm sure it works as it's supposed to. I just have to get used to the idea of it!

I completly understand your concern about the auto shut off. I don't know if you can teust this kind of technology. I know it's supposed to be safe but don't know if I would dare to leave it on when I'm not at home.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I completly understand your concern about the auto shut off. I don't know if you can teust this kind of technology. I know it's supposed to be safe but don't know if I would dare to leave it on when I'm not at home.

I would definitely turn it off, when, I leave home. Anything can happen.

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
There is a heated blanket on the couch for TV watching and we have heated mattress pads on the beds. But we don't leave them on when now home. They all love them..

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Love the pic! Buster looks soooooo comfy.

Hubby and I have used heating pads and blankets for years due to various physical maladies. When Max came into our lives over a year ago we set up a number of cave beds with a heating pad on the bottom, encased in a pillow case, and another blanket over top. The heating pads (by Sunbeam) have auto shut off or permanent, plus temperature control. We leave certain ones on during the day and others on at night, setting the temperature according to how cold/warm it is in our place. We check them throughout the day.

Bottom line: we've never had any issues. I do notice that sometimes it seems like the heating pad is a little cooler than it should be, but it's never hotter. And as you say, if too warm, they can leave or self regulate (both Max and Min will start hanging over the side of their cave beds if too warm which I take as a hint to turn the pad down LOL).

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@BusterTheCat, I used to use a pet safe heated pad that turns on automatically when the cat steps onto it...and shuts off automatically as well when the cat steps off of it. It never got HOT. It was a safe temperature for pets. Not like a heating pad for humans which can get very hot.

I knew that it would take some time to heat up once a cat stepped onto it, but that's what I used at the beginning. Then one day a long time ago, I brain-stormed what would be big enough for all my nakeds to lay on and be warm and cozy and I came up with an electric blanket throw (not a full size blanket). I keep it on my bed just for my nakeds. They lay and sleep on it and under it. I have a cover over it plus put a regular blanket throw over it always.

It's got an auto shut-off at 10 hours, but it has a lot of heat settings. I have no carpets in my house...all floors are either hardwood or porcelain tile and that can be cold in the winter or even in the summer months with the air-conditioner on.

I keep the heated throw "on" throughout the entire night. When I go away I have whomever is watching my nakeds...turn it on each time they come into my house (2X a day). My husband said that it's completely safe to do that...and he even gave me a reason why which I don't recall at the moment. It's UL Tested and I would ONLY use a heated throw blanket that was made by a well-known company that is UL Tested.

My nakeds love that heated throw almost as much as they love me. LOL

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@BusterTheCat, I used to use a pet safe heated pad that turns on automatically when the cat steps onto it...and shuts off automatically as well when the cat steps off of it. It never got HOT. It was a safe temperature for pets. Not like a heating pad for humans which can get very hot.

I knew that it would take some time to heat up once a cat stepped onto it, but that's what I used at the beginning. Then one day a long time ago, I brain-stormed what would be big enough for all my nakeds to lay on and be warm and cozy and I came up with an electric blanket throw (not a full size blanket). I keep it on my bed just for my nakeds. They lay and sleep on it and under it. I have a cover over it plus put a regular blanket throw over it always.

It's got an auto shut-off at 10 hours, but it has a lot of heat settings. I have no carpets in my house...all floors are either hardwood or porcelain tile and that can be cold in the winter or even in the summer months with the air-conditioner on.

I keep the heated throw "on" throughout the entire night. When I go away I have whomever is watching my nakeds...turn it on each time they come into my house (2X a day). My husband said that it's completely safe to do that...and he even gave me a reason why which I don't recall at the moment. It's UL Tested and I would ONLY use a heated throw blanket that was made by a well-known company that is UL Tested.

This is all great to know @GoldHazel! Do you have any brands you can recommend for the heated blanket? We really want to order two and have been looking on Amazon and reading reviews. We want to make sure to get a good one, and a safe one. :)

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
This is all great to know @GoldHazel! Do you have any brands you can recommend for the heated blanket? We really want to order two and have been looking on Amazon and reading reviews. We want to make sure to get a good one, and a safe one. :)

The heated throw blanket I have is by Serta and I got it from Brookstone's. I'm sure it's sold in department stores and/or bedding stores.
I'm sure there are other good ones out there, but I only have a few by Serta.

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
The heated throw blanket I have is by Serta and I got it from Brookstone's. I'm sure it's sold in department stores and/or bedding stores.
I'm sure there are other good ones out there, but I only have a few by Serta.

Thanks for your reply @GoldHazel! I will search on Amazon and see if I can find anything by Serta. I like knowing that other people have good reviews about a product that will be safe for babies! :)

SphynxKid

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
We have two heated blankets and two heated beds. The blankets both have automatic turn off and I usually turn them on when I get home and then they shut off after 8 hours so they turn off by the time I leave. If I am gone for only a short period of time, I will leave them on. One if the same as Goldhazel, a Serta and one is from Target. They both have temp controls and get VERY WARM. Too warm for me and they cats will lay on top of they get too hot.

I don't remember he names of the beds as I bought them about 4 years ago, but they both have pressure sensitive heating systems- in other words, they turn on when they kitty lays in them, turn off when they get out. They are fabulous for them. They LOVE them. I leave them plugged in from September until June or so, and they have lasted us YEARS. The outsides are brown and can be washed and I can take the pressure sensitive heating elements out during the washing. Such helpful little beds!

Jen, Moses and Fluffy

HappyLilSphynx

Lairian
I had a heated blanket on the couch. Even better, though, was getting a heated mattress pad for the bed - in cooler months, I would turn it on before bed a night, and turn down the temp so it wouldn't be too hot (for me or my kitty baby) overnight. When it was cold, I would turn it off and on again in the morning before I left for work to make sure she had a warm snuggle spot for the day ... it had 10 settings, and also turned off automatically in 10 hours. I never got a single complaint from my little peanut!

Theedaysleeper

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian

I would love to know where I can find one of these blankets. Got a name so I can goggle it? A 10 hour auto shut-off sounds perfect!

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I LOVE the look of that blanket @BusterTheCat.

I have a heated mattress pad in my bed (it gets a bit nippy here) and one on the sofa. Pixie also has my heated back warmer in her bed on my desk.
The back warmer turns off after 45 mins, which can be a pain when you have to keep turning it back on. There are several heat settings on all of the pads.
The one on the sofa is nearly covering the entire sofa and some of the back rest. It's a 6 hr shut off. I put it on there, and throw a big fleece over the top, because Pixie likes to claw the pads.
The one in bed is under the (fleecy) mattress cover and has not only different time settings (3 / 6 / 12 hrs), and temperature settings, the foot area is also warmer than the body area. The bed one is generally only on for 3 hrs, because otherwise I get too hot. Pixie loves to snuggle in bed, so I have a self heating suede hot water bottle cuddled to my side anyway. :p
Actually, she insists that it's time to go to bed, if I don't go when Madam would like to go to sleep for the night lol.

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
For the aromatic turning off issue, there are these boxes that plug into the outlet that are timers, you then plug whatever needs to be on the timer into it. I'm not sure how they are set to the times, as I havnt personally set one up, but my family uses them for our geckos lights if we are away. They work amazingly well.

Sunbeam makes nice heated throws, three heat settings and I'm not sure how long mine stays on for, but it's for sure a couple hours before it auto-shuts off