Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Heated kitty beds? electric or microwave

Pyramid

Lairian
I was wondering how many of you use the heated kitty beds? I noticed there are plug in varieties, as well as some that are said to be safer as you microwave either wheat husks or a gel pack and put it under their bed. Apparently the microwave ones last for 12 hours.

So give me some reviews, good/bad what is your fovourite? I think it would be a good idea in our house in Dallas as we have the air conditioner on for obvious reasons, but don't want him to ever be chilly, I know I could put some fleece jammies on but have seen heated pet beds and wanted some input.

If you have a great one you are happy with, can you tell me where you bought it and post a link?

Thanks in advance!!!

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I use a heating pad under the cushion of the cat bed. All cats get in it a curl up. It ends up being a cat nest. So I have another heating blanket that I put on the sofa with a blanket on top of it.

susi794

Staff member
I use heated throws that I bought at WalMart--bought several last year during the black friday sales for $19.95. Some in their bassinettes, some on beds, and keep them plugged in year round without any problems at all. They are machine washable and the best things I ever got for my cats. They adore them. Think the regular price is somewhere around $39.95. They aren't electric blankets--they are heated throws.

ninja4her

Lairian
I use the heated cat mats. They come in a circle shape, plush outside and inside is a heated mat. I usually put it by a window and the cats love it. It's plugs in and you can wash the out side. I leave them plugged in all the time in the winter.

I saw one at Pet Smart that turns on when kitty lays on it and when kitty gets up, it turns off.

I think the heated throws are a great idea. Any worry about leaving them or a heated bed on all of the time?

Pyramid

Lairian
Thanks guys :) Our house is usually kept comfortably cool, as Dallas is ROASTING hot, but I am concerned about my new sphynxie getting chilled, just want to make sure I am being a good first time sphynx mom :)

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I have fleece blankets on all the beds and along the back of the couch and chairs,,,also keep a heating pad on low under their cat bed and haven't had any trouble with it at all.

susi794

Staff member
I saw one at Pet Smart that turns on when kitty lays on it and when kitty gets up, it turns off.

I think the heated throws are a great idea. Any worry about leaving them or a heated bed on all of the time?

I have had one of mine plugged in on high for almost three years. The only time they are off is when they are in the washer, and I haven't had any trouble at all. In winter my house is sometimes chilly and in the summer it's quite chilly from the a/c. So mine are almost always on high. I put a blanket on top, but most of the time, mine burrow under the blanket and lay directly on the throw.

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I LIVE SOUTH OF YOU AND WHAT MY DINKS LOVES IS A WINDOW BED THINGY. IT IS EASY TO PUT TOGETHER NO SCREWS TO DAMAGE THE WOOD WORK. THE COVER CAN BE REMOVED TO WASH. CATS CAN SUNBATH IN LOVELY WARMTH. IT IS AT MOST PET STORE AT DIFFERENT DESIGNS AND PRICES.:Smile:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I LIVE SOUTH OF YOU AND WHAT MY DINKS LOVES IS A WINDOW BED THINGY. IT IS EASY TO PUT TOGETHER NO SCREWS TO DAMAGE THE WOOD WORK. THE COVER CAN BE REMOVED TO WASH. CATS CAN SUNBATH IN LOVELY WARMTH. IT IS AT MOST PET STORE AT DIFFERENT DESIGNS AND PRICES.:Smile:

Yes,,,those are lovely!! I used to have one but my fat cat broke it and I just haven't gotten a new one yet,,but its on the list!!!!:ThumbsUp:

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Butterball loves his cat bed and when I put a regular reading lamp over it, he loved it more. A little 40 watt bulb puts off quite a bit of heat. I'm sure if Butternuts had his way, he would use a bulb with more watts. In fact, with winter approaching, I might find a bigger bulb. He has no trouble sleeping in the light.

When I was staying with a friend Butterball's favorite spot was the heating pad. We would put it on low and he loved it. The darn thing had a safety feature which turned the unit off after about 15 minutes so it wasn't very practical. However, I've heard that they can actually burn themselves on heating pads.

Anyway, it's just something to think about.

holly_savage

Banned
The pet heating pads and heated beds are set to warm to 101 degrrees...roughly feline body temperature. We have one and Hibou loved it. But it has been put away for the summer. We keep the house at 71 degrees year round and the cats seem ok with that, they tend to be quite industrious at finding somewhere to curl up under if they are chilly.

Back