Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Heating pad question

wright878

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Ok, it is below 80 degrees in Texas and Abby wants her warm bed. Last year I just left the electric blanket on for her, but it died over the winter. My question is, is it safe to leave a heating pad on low for her to lay on? I try to keep a towel between her and it, but she borrows right onto the flannel covering the heating pad.

Gizzymom

Banned
I will be curious to see what people say about this... I know someone whose kitten died from being on a heating pad, but I do not know how old the kitten was or what setting the heating pad was on.. I think it's ridiculous that "pet heating pads" are like 3-4 x the cost of regular ones, but I bought one because I was scared. But after 2 years, that one has died.. was debating on what to do now.

Why spend $80+ for a pet one when you can get a heating pad at walmart for <$20??

Jacquie

Lairian
I also considered one of those reptile heating rocks. Can you believe someone up here says that his 2 cats LOVE to play in the store. Sheesh if I put Ruby in the snow she would think I lost my mind not to say how deep her machete claws would scar me trying to get back inside . Then she would spend most of the rest of the day sitting with her back turned to me:Cry:

Morticia

Lairian
I have a heated cat bed for Morticia, it's really low heat only 4v (prob the same heat as your lap). The heat is enough to keep her warm and yes I leave it all day (turn it off for bed time as she sleeps under my covers at night)

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
I use a heating pad when we have kittens, just a regular one not one for pets I just keep it on low and it works fine, the only draw back is that it has a automatic shut off so after 2 hours we have to turn it back on.
Our cats always find a warm spot under a blanket and it gets cold here in NJ I have thought about trying the bean bag heating pads I use for me and you just put them in the microwave to heat them and they seem to stay warm for a long time but never really found the need.

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
The heated bed I bought wasn't very expensive and is made by a very reputable company. It is UL tested and only reaches a certain temp above the cats body temp. I try to shop on ebay alot to save $ and spoil Nudie. here is a pic:

TotenEngel

Banned
Smeagols 2 fave spots in our house are either on the radiators or under the duvet, we now have fluffy blankets on all the radiators in our place as I always get worried he will overheat!
I think even if we bought a heated pet bed, the radiators would be favourite as they are warmer!! lol

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
The only way an animal would overheat and die from being on a heating pad is if they had no ability to move themselves to a cooler spot. I have seen days-old kittens move from a warm heating pad to a cooler portion of their bed- so even very young animals have the instinct to move to where it is comfortable. That being said- even with newborns, you must create a 'warmer' area and then a cooler area for both the queen and the babies. So you'd put the heating pad on one area, with a blankie covering it and then the kittens can move onto the pad or off of it. My Sphynx babies always preferred to stay on it- but for example, with Bug, the Savannah- he preferred to mostly stay off of it (but he has fur).

We do not buy the expensive heating pads- you can go on Amazon and buy the ones that do not turn off for about $15. Now, common sense has to dictate how you use them- and you need to make sure the cords are not accessible for tiny teeth to chew up, but they've worked great for us in the past and hopefully, I will be using them with a litter of French Bulldog puppies due in January (hopefully- fingers crossed!).

BlueGirl

Lairian
I also considered one of those reptile heating rocks.

just wanted to say that personaly I wouldnt use a heating rock, not even for a reptile. They can get ridiculously hot and I've seen many reptiles with very bad burns because of them.

I use a microwavable heating pad if its really cold, as long as kitty can move if they get too hot it fine. :D

ckutkuhn7

Banned
My poor Iggy the Iguana died from a heating rock, I wouldn't use them either.

As for heating pads we use a human one, we keep it on low and it auto shuts off after 1 hour. We found it at CVS for $10,, much nicer then the one I had from the 70's that wore out! lol When I leave it out for the kitties I wrap the pad in a small fleece blanket, then put the cover on it and then the kitties can't borrow into direct contact with the pad and they stay roasty toasty!

Gizzymom

Banned
Thanks everyone! I am so paranoid about her getting hurt or lost that I am a crazy cat lady!

I hear ya! The first few months that I had Gizzy, I would come home and if he didn't come running, I would panic - afraid that he had gotten out. Now how Giz would be able to unlock and open a door or window is beyond me... But it was a fear of mine! :Hysterical:

TotenEngel

Banned
I wouldn't put anything beyond a nudie. My Little Ren used to be able to open any drawer or cupboard in the house - and that was after I put toddler locks on them AND velcro'd them shut.

lol, I have velcro on our wardrobe too!!! We have massive glass sliding doors and when Laz )our black and white furry) was about 4 months old, he could slide them open and go mental for my silicon ear jewellery (I have gauged ears) he ignored everything else and just went for them! It started being quite costly as he would always manage to get 2 out at a time, different colours :S
Velcro became my new best friend as none of the toddler locks let us still slide open the door!

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Being from Texas and all - I have a heating pad on the soa with a pretty throw over it, and a heating pad under the cat bed cushion, in the cat room and that is where all cats end up, on the warm spot.:Laugh::Laugh:

lawgrl

Lairian
I'm kind of weird about heating pads and stuff too (I worry about them getting too hot and about leaving them plugged in)...but I'm always looking for warm stuff for the kitties.

Anyway, I did see these microwaveable disks that you can put under blankets or in beds:

Snugglesafe1.jpg

They're supposed to stay warm for 8 hours after you microwave them. But, I've never used one before so I don't know how hot they get when they first come out of the microwave or if they really stay hot for 8 hours...maybe someone else has tried them and could say.

Gizzymom

Banned
I'm kind of weird about heating pads and stuff too (I worry about them getting too hot and about leaving them plugged in)...but I'm always looking for warm stuff for the kitties.

Anyway, I did see these microwaveable disks that you can put under blankets or in beds:

Snugglesafe1.jpg

They're supposed to stay warm for 8 hours after you microwave them. But, I've never used one before so I don't know how hot they get when they first come out of the microwave or if they really stay hot for 8 hours...maybe someone else has tried them and could say.

I tried them... wasn't very pleased. They didn't stay very warm and Giz was not thrilled laying on a hard disc (even if it was covered by blankets)..

I liked these better, but kind of a pain to warm up. They are filled with a gel / wax material and you have to keep moving it around and massaging it in between heating times in the microwave.

Thermo-Wave-Microwavable-Pet-Bed-Warmer.jpg

Not sure is the "perfect" sphynx warmer is out there... still looking. :Laugh:

lawgrl

Lairian
That does look more comfortable...I like that it's gel and has the terry cloth cover, it looks very snuggly for the kitties. I always wondered about the disk heater but I just couldn't quite bring myself to get one to try it out (it always looked like a really thick Frisbee to me and I couldn't quite imagine the kitties lounging around on it!).

NightSpidy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I have several heating devices now. I have 2 human ones that are set on low and have a blankie on top of them. I also have the pet one that you plug in and it regulates itself. I got it from Jeffers for $24.99. I also have a bean-bag thing that you warm up in the microwave for 30 seconds, but it doesn't stay warm for very long...maybe an hour? It a quick fix for heat though. Also have a huge electric blanket on our bed that's always on.

Back