Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Heating pad with automatic off??

Crombie00

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Anyone know of a good heating pad with automatic off and chewable resistant cord?? I saw one for a dog on amazon....

PrimateLove

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
That sounds awesome, what brand is the one you saw, I might be interested in picking one up.

We have a 24/7 pet heating pad by Sunbeam from PetSmart. It is very low power and puts off just enough heat to keep the girls warm, but not hot.

Crombie00

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
It was on amazon called Playapup warmer I believe.Maybe I should try petsmart? They have great sweaters!!

Taraforweb

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
We use a hot water bottle for Neenee so we don't have to worry about electricity at all. Just put under a thin blanket.

JoannaH91

Lairian
I have the "pet zzz" heating bad which is great! You keep it plugged to an outlet at all times BUT it only activates when the pet sits on it! They have different sizes according to weight and I bought the smallest one so it was able to sense Scarlett's little 5 pound butt lol so it stays warm while she sits on it and then it turns off when she steps off. And the cord has a safety thing around it so no chewing. You have to google it and it can only be bought online bc it's one of those "as seen on TV" things. Totally worth it!

Ollie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Would a sphynx chew the cord? I just put heating pads on low in Oliver's bed wrapped in flannel. Should I be concerned about anything? Just wondering wh the pet specific ones....
@ JoannaH91 Love the idea of pet zzz! Auto on/ off cool!

Luv Sphynx

Lairian
I've tried the kind that only get warm when they sit on it but my cats never got it that it would get warm and would get off of it :) I use a twin size bed heating blanket. I only have it on at night when I'm home. It turns off in 10 hours. I just keep the cord concealed so they don't chew it. So far they never have. As far as chewing cords mine have chewed all kinds of things. My husbands head phone cords, computer mouse cords, etc. We have never seen cats that chew like these do. :)

Brickers

Lairian
It was on amazon called Playapup warmer I believe.Maybe I should try petsmart? They have great sweaters!!

I have the playa pup, mine just figured it out today. I have the small and medium. I like the small one better because it fits better in his cat things: bed and play cube. People complained the small was too small for a cat but I personally disagreed as it fit kitty spaces better, unless you have a big boy (mine is still a little kitten).

the heat is really low but my boy likes it. I've seen heating pads at other places and they cost much more than the playapup on amazon.

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
We used a regular people heating pad for our super-elderly long hair cat. Bob kept it on warm and it automatically turned off after 10 minutes. It was kept in Bob's office, where he could easily turn it on whenever Kermit asked him.

Now we have a self-heating bed that Marcus has pretty much taken over. You can get them at pet shops and online (ours came from Dr. Foster's and Smith's). The advantage is that there is no electricity and they are washable. I think that we will have to get at least one more this winter, with 2 naked cats and one old one.

Marcus sometimes chews cords--he likes the ones that I have put protective covers on, because they make a great crunch sound! Any cat can chew cords, but it is usually most likely to happen when they are teething.