Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Hedgehogs

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I forgot to tell you I have 4 hedgehog babies! There are 3 black and white pintos and one dark grey one. I have had one bad moment when I found she has pushed all the babies out of the nest and they were really cold which is bad, but I put them back in and they are doing well so far. That was this morning so that is why I remembered to tell you! They were born on July 24th. I was going to start handling them tomorrow as they will be 3 weeks old but I think I am going to wait and not mess with them until I feel they are ok from being too cold. Hedgehogs can die if they get too cold.

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
how cute!! my step kid's had one at their moms house. she was too cute. although, i think they ended up rehoming her because she was too much work for them.
congrats on your new babies

xxx_phoenix_xxx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
awwwwww how lovely congrats.:ThumbsUp:
i have an algerian hgrey pinto she is just beautiul they are the most cutest things ever arent they.
at 3 weeks i would say you would be fine to handle them if the mom doesn't show much sign of stress when you remove them from the nest. most of the breeders i know start to handle their babies at 2 weeks wrapped in a blanket just for a couple of minuits a day each and give mommy loads of treats to keep her occupied.
looking forward to pics i love to see pics of them when they are young its amaizing they look like little conkers awwwww i have some amaizing pics of my babies starting from when they were 2 days old i managed to get a sneaky pic while mommy hog was eating her dinner.:Laugh:
good luck with them all xxxxx

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Congratulations on the babies. I've never seen one in person but I love the pictures. Maine has a law about some exotics where you are allowed to own and breed them, but they are not allowed to be sold in pet stores. You said they don't tolerate the cold. What temp range do they like?

xxx_phoenix_xxx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Congratulations on the babies. I've never seen one in person but I love the pictures. Maine has a law about some exotics where you are allowed to own and breed them, but they are not allowed to be sold in pet stores. You said they don't tolerate the cold. What temp range do they like?

i keep mine at a constant 26 degrees c not sure what that is in f though lol she also has a cool end so if she feels a little to hot she can go to the cooler end which is 18 degrees c :ThumbsUp:

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
i keep mine at a constant 26 degrees c not sure what that is in f though lol she also has a cool end so if she feels a little to hot she can go to the cooler end which is 18 degrees c :ThumbsUp:

Thanks! I used a conversion site and the temp range is 64-79. Not too bad to maintain.

By the way, Phoenix, I love the hedgehog shot on your profile. What a well done picture.

Bella07

Banned
How cute! I've heard that a lot of people consider them to be great pets. When they are old enough, I would love to see pictures.

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
The mommy hedgehog is really protective and so I wanted to wait until 3 weeks because I was scared she would not tolerate me messing with the babies. I will take pics soon as she seems to not care really anymore if I am in there messing with them.

xxx_phoenix_xxx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Thanks! I used a conversion site and the temp range is 64-79. Not too bad to maintain.

By the way, Phoenix, I love the hedgehog shot on your profile. What a well done picture.

thanks hun , she's alot harder to get a pic of these days she never sits still. far more interested in exploring and finding something to chew :LOL:

Back