Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Hell of a welcome

I've had cats with various infections that had a culture & sensitivity analysis done. The culture part of it is basically taking a sample of the infected tissue to confirm the presence of bacteria. The sensitivity part is to determine what antibiotic to treat it with; sometimes bacteria is resistant to a certain antibiotic and you need to know that so you can prescribe the right one. It might take a couple of days to get the results back from a lab.

Once the infection is under control, it's important to determine what caused it. Honestly, I would not feed any of the same food he's been eating. I would give him something else and make absolutely positively sure that he's fine and it really was just the food. It's an educated guess, but still just a guess at this point.

I found this link that might help Feline Upper Respiratory Infection
Totally agree. if it's bacterial and the food is suspish, I'm not going back to it until we can get answers. As I said, they're doing fecal culture, so hopefully that will tell us something, probably by tomorrow. We have preemptively bleached the cat room, including dishes and cat box.

With our chronic mucus factory, I've joked that he must be allergic to cat hair. I'll ask my vet if they can culture whatever his deal is and find out. I'm sure he'll love that :-/

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
By the way I don't mean to say that he MUST have a C&S analysis done. My regular vet was able to pick out the antibiotic for Henry that knocked out his bacterial infection just from experience.

Sure hope your vet doesn't get offended. My vet is really good and I ask him stuff all the time and he just patiently answers.

He’s home! Tiny bean...no answers yet from the fecal culture but he responded really well to antibiotics, fever dropped, so we sprung him. We’ll keep him on the prescription kitten food for a week and after that I don’t know - maybe use up the Darwin’s but cook it first (as they recommend)? I feel like I’ll have better ideas when we know more. But for now I hope he can forgive me for the worst daycare experience ever.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 11
A brief Bruce update -

No results from the fecal culture, I'm disappointed about that.

We're feeding commercial kitten food and cooked chicken. This little guy really is a good eater. I'm feeling hesitant about trying the raw again, even though I have 9lb of Darwin's frozen in the freezer. I'm in no hurry to try it soon, we'll stick to commercial for at least 2mos, as suggested (thanks).

After a 7 day course of antibiotics this magical little cat is truly a kitten again (he's either galloping through the house or sleeping). I love this little guy!

Attachments

• tempImage3Heih4.png
    tempImage3Heih4.png
    650.6 KB · Views: 6

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
It's GREAT he's back to his normal self. With kittens it's not always a slam dunk.

If he's fine for 2 months with what he's eating now, I would assume there was something wrong with the other food he ate and absolutely no way would I feed the leftovers. I would usually say to contact the company that made the rotten food it but since you fed him 2 different kinds of raw we don't have a way of knowing which one made him sick. If you want to go back to raw and save money, you can make the food at home. It really isn't hard if you start with a ground mix that includes bones and organs.