Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Hello again❤

Cydney

Lairian
Well.. I have my 10 year old boy that I have had since he was 6 months. We have keeping an eye out for any breeders and one landed in our lap. Our neighbor is friends with him, his sphynx parents had 4 babies 2 girls and 2 boys. I am VERY excited to hear this. I talk with the guy .. he said they will be 1,500$ each which holy moly have I been lucky in the past. (Delilah was 450$, Jynx was 250$, and I got Tokoz and Kazul for 450$ total package deal) But money isn't the issue. My baby Kazul passed away at 4 years old with HCM. . Needless to say, we never want to experience that again. This guy has not tested for HCM nor does he seem to have any clue what it was. But agreed easily to getting them tested and the parents. Has anyone actually tested their cats for HCM? How does the testing work? Is it expensive? Can kittens be tested or is it just heart murmurs ? All Answers are appreciated. Thank you for your time

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Cydney , hello, glad you are asking questions. ((hugs)) I lost my yoda girl early too from HCM complications. she did not come from a reputable breeder and my heart was shattered . I personally would never pay 1500 for a sphynx who did not come from a reputable breeder who should be HCM testing etc before breeding. and you mention he has no clue. big red flag for heartbreak inmho.

Letitia

Lairian
That's a lot of money to pay to someone who doesn't know what HCM is. I don't think any amount is worth dealing with this breeder. I understand he is willing to do the testing, but it doesn't sound like he knows what he's doing. This makes me very nervous for you.

Sheldon13

Staff member
I am worried for this too. My red flag instincts are waving. Even if this breeder is well intentioned it’s very concerning that they are breeding these cats but don’t know about HCM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
For a breeder to have no idea of what HCM is, and not already scanning breeding cats, I personally would walk away. Do they even have a contract to protect the kitten?

Cydney

Lairian
isn't it so frustrating that it is just legal for anyone to breed animals like this.. it's like a double sword .. you want to take them to get them away from people like this.. but by taking you enable and encourage them to do it more. Thank you all for your advice. I very very much appreciate it.

Back