Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Hello and advice please.

Denise

Lairian
I am buying a sphynx kitten and I need to choose the color. I have asked for a female and my choice is between a dark tuxedo and a light torti.

I really don't have any basis for comparison. Which do you think is more attractive?Cuter?

i will post more about this later. Thank you all and HELLO!!!!:BigSmile:

Last edited:

EmbraceMonChat

Lairian
When you say a dark tuxedo, do you mean a black and white tux?
I like bicolors, high white especially...but I like torties too, I just never seem to end up with one!

Are you purchasing her for a companion or to show and breed?

If you are hoping to show then you need to look at how well each kitten meets the standard...then pick a favorite flavor.

Congrats on having a big decision to make!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Denise and welcome to Sphynxlair! I like the black and white tux myself. Good luck on your new Sphynx when you get him or her!:Laugh:

J

Jinxlover

Welcome!!!
I love a Tortie, but my girl is a tortie SOOO maybe I'm bias..lol.. Good luck.. You will love who ever you take.

firehillqueen

Banned
Don't worry about the color. IF you can go see them and hold them and get a feeling of their personalities. I wanted a seal point, planned on a seal point, but when I held Ciel, who is white and seal tortie point, NOT the solid seal point I planned on, she won my heart with her sweet personality. With Sphynx its not about the outside but the heart on the inside.

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
They are both beautiful, meet them if possible, if not get lots of pics, look for that *thing* in their eyes that speaks to your heart, that's your kitten.

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Yeah, I'm no help... I love every single Sphynx I meet- I have yet to meet an ugly one. When I THINK I just love one color or two, I'll see an example of another color and think, "I just love this dude!"

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Here is my actual post from before I got Cleo.
Like you I was stuck between a Tortie and a Black and White.
I am stuck between 2 kittens now!!!
They both are girls.
One is black and white and the other is tortie and white.
I ended up with the black and white kitten who is my Cleo.
Most people told me to go for the black and white one.
Then I got a another sphynx last sept.
She was suppose to be seal point and white.
Well guess what she is.
She was a thermal and ended up being seal tortie point and white.
Do you want to show?
If so go by what the breeder says is better for showing.
I just got a white sphynx and I let the breeder pick the best one for showing.
I wish I could have taken both the totie and black and white at the time but I could only get one of them.
Here are some pictures of my black and white and my tortie.

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Although it doesn't matter really, because they're all SO awesome! but i want a tortie SOO badly! :)

ckutkuhn7

Banned
It's my dream to have one of each color! lol I have a tortie already and she is absolutley awesome! Goodluck with your choice and welcome to the Lair!

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm not sure you'll get much help here. Everyone seems to have their own opinion. I'm partial to the tux's.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

Everyone told me to take them both also but I could not.
I wish I could have now.
Oh well I do have related cats anyway.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome. I'm no help at all as I love them all. Although my eye is often caught by a cute face, its usually the personality that wins my heart.

Bella07

Banned
Welcome to the site! Choosing between 2 kitten colors---Yikes, nearly the impossible :Wink:

If it is possible for you to meet the kittens, then I would do so. That way, you can see them in person, and hopefully it'll make it that much easier to choose! Or have the breeder tell you about their personality's, and see which one fits your lifestyle better. Maybe you want a lapcat, or one that is more adventurous, etc....

Good Luck in your decision! If it were me though.....well I'd need pictures to decided :BigSmile:

susi794

Staff member
Me too! I adore them all, but have just a wee bit of a special place in my heart for the torties....and the pinkies....but I love the tuxes and the Vans and the seal and blue points....and the ...and the.....and the...!

Denise

Lairian
Thank you all for your kind welcome and advice.

I have a few problems regarding this transaction. I live in Ontario,not far from Toronto. This breeder lives very far up in Northern Ontario and it is not possible for me to visit. She ships the cat at 14 weeks of age.

I have NEVER owned a purebred cat but I have always owned cavalier king charles spaniels(lost my precious boy in Feb),and I am so accustomed to the rigorous procedure that their breeders do to insure you are a good owner. Maybe this breeder is like a puppy-mill breeder,a cat-mill? Is that a problem in the purebred cat world too?

She didnt ask me ANY questions,just seems interested in the deposit.

More advice needed here ,thanks guys!

I have added a pic of the kitten to my avatar as I don't know how to add pics.

What do you think,this is the torti? She only sent pics of the whole litter and individuals of this one. I do have a pic of the mom too.

Thanks again! D

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Thank you all for your kind welcome and advice.

I have a few problems regarding this transaction. I live in Ontario,not far from Toronto. This breeder lives very far up in Northern Ontario and it is not possible for me to visit. She ships the cat at 14 weeks of age.

I have NEVER owned a purebred cat but I have always owned cavalier king charles spaniels(lost my precious boy in Feb),and I am so accustomed to the rigorous procedure that their breeders do to insure you are a good owner. Maybe this breeder is like a puppy-mill breeder,a cat-mill? Is that a problem in the purebred cat world too?

She didnt ask me ANY questions,just seems interested in the deposit.

More advice needed here ,thanks guys!

I have added a pic of the kitten to my avatar as I don't know how to add pics.

What do you think,this is the torti? She only sent pics of the whole litter and individuals of this one. I do have a pic of the mom too.

Thanks again! D

I've never encountered a breeder that didn't ask ANY questions. Her being only concerned about the deposit is concerning. I would ask her several questions to ensure I was choosing the right kitty and breeder for me. Does she do HCM testing? If so can she provide you with copies of the negative scans? Are the kittens registered? When would she send you paperwork of their registration? Is their a contract involved in receiving your kitten? Are their certain guidelines you need to follow when you receive your kitten such as a vet visit within a certain number of days? If serious sickness is found does she have a certain protocol for them? Does she send the kitten after its been spayed/neutered or does she trust you to have the procedure done? I'm sure there are more questions you could ask but its still early for me and none are coming. I'm sure others on here will have additional suggestions. Goodluck - keep us posted on how it goes.

Back