Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Hello from Adam and Magi

SylvrTitoijava

Lairian
My name is Adam, less than a month ago I rescue Magia-Prieta. She is three years old, a don sphynx, all creme colored and all sweet. Her previous owners had completely declawed her, front and back paws. She was very small and kind of food aggressive but has gotten better. She's still terrified of water, so bathing her is much like bathing Sulu Parrot and Queen Noelle, my two furry cats.

She is the first sphynx I've ever owned and as a rescue cat, I want to make very sure that I do right by her. Any tips for how to calm her to bathing would be helpful.
Thanks.

Adam

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Congrats on your new kitty. sounds like she finally found her LOVING home!
i dont have any great advice about bathing.. 2 of my kitties hates baths, and the other is ok with them. but usually bathtime ends in me being SOAKED.

i started a thread a while back about bath time, because i struggle with my kitties. to help get an idea of a schedule. lots of people use coconut oil to help lift the dirt which makes bath time easier/quicker-i believe. i haven't tried it yet though.

http://www.sphynxlair.com/f20/bath-time-poll-3800/

good luck with your new kitty :) and welcome to the site!

So far all I can say is putting enough water in the tub or sink that it comes to their chest can keep them calm. And try giving a treat or moist food after the bath so they have something to look forward too.

That's all I have because Alice isn't hard to bathe, we'll see about Dita though, this threat might come in handy because she bites when water comes near her (when you're bathed once a month for 8 years you don't want a bath.....)

kiennasmom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi & welcome to the Lair. I don't have a lot of bathing tips since (knock on wood), my babies have all been pretty cooperative about it :ThumbsUp:

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I admire you for the rescue of Magia-Prieta. I make clean up time quick because my Dinka does not like water either. Sometimes I use coconut oil if he is really oily and dirty. I rub it all over him. Then I put a towel on my shower seat and put Dinka on it. I turn on the shower, check the temperature then get him wet quickly then turn off the water. I soap him all over then turn on the shower - hold him and spray him off. Piff, Puff, Poof - It is all over and he is dried and given his special meal. The shower is so quick and easy for us:ThumbsUp:.

Nice to meet you. Welcome to Sphynx lovers paradise.:Smile:

Hello Adam and welcome to you and Magi!

My two do not enjoy baths but they are cooperative. Most just a lot of crying and mewing. They do enjoy being wrapped up and held in their warm towel (I put it in dryer before bath) and getting treats after.

As Sianne said, make sure to have plenty of water. Both of mine try to climb out of I don't have water to their chest. You may also want to try sink if you are currently bathing in tub, or vice versa. My Gable does NOT like beathing in the sink.

Talk quietly and calmly to soothe her when preparing her for bath as well as during and after the process. Special treats after will help reinforce that bath equals yummy stuff.

She may not come to actually enjoy it but at least find it more tolorable in time.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome Adam and Magi! Congrats on your first sphynx.
If she is not used to her bath it could take a while for her to get used to it.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Adam and welcome to Sphynxlair! Good luck with your new kitty! Try a search on bathing at the top of the page, there are lot's of answers here!:ThumbsUp:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Welcome to the Lair and congrats on rescuing one of these gentle souls!

Advice on a more calming bath, make the entire process a routine. From filling the water deep enough to go up to her chest, to shampooing, everything in the same process every single time. Eventually she will recognize the routine and calm down some. She may never "like" her bath but eventually she should learn to tolerate it atleast. Remember to talk to her during her bath in a calming voice and reward with treats afterwards. I hope this helps.

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome Adam, it's nice to meet you and Magia. You should find plenty of bathing tips here, that's a favorite topic of discussion for us.

Bella07

Banned
Congratulations Adam! I don't own a Sphynx yet, so I can't offer you much personal advice on bathing one. But, Sphynxlair has a ton of wonderful information, that I'm sure you'll find of great use :ThumbsUp:

Fester

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
For my guys, the most important things for bath time are, in no particular order:

Preparation -- I have every thing in place and water at the correct temperature(I use 95-100 degree F) drawn before I get the kitties to bathe.

Attitude -- Sphynx are smart -- if they discover a behavior that allows them to get away, they will repeat it next time, so I stay calm, and inescapable-- closed bathroom doors are a great help.

Bribes -- I give them treats before and after bathing -- the logic is they'll look forward to the treat, and the second on is so they forget the 'trauma.'

As old as your new kitty is, she can probaly go for two weeks or more between baths, but I'd recommend weekly so that she become used to it.

Back