Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Hello from Australia

Elon

Lairian
Hello All, I've recently stumbled upon your community, in my search for information prior to receiving my soon to be 'no fur baby'.

I must say it has only encouraged me further, raised my preparedness, added excitement and ultimately cosy me a lot of money already.

I have a deposit on this guy who was born just after Christmas. (must of been having a party in there with his only brother) and hopefully by the end of march he'll be able to settle in to my home.

Included are some pictures of his mother and father. Father is 6 and an import from the Netherlands. Mother has had 4 litters and this was her last at 5 years of age. So it's highly likely his relatives are around Australia.

Now the wait begins... So I'll just smile at your no fur baby's in the mean time.

I have a couple of minor concerns. One being when questioned about parents and HCM history, his father has had it done some time ago, yet recently was going to have to be asleep for it so cost was higher and the breeder opted not to do so. Having said that, they appear to be of good standing as a responsible breeder. Perhaps a little busy on feedback and reassurances.. We all live busy lives and I get that. Time will tell if this improves. It's a massive comittment and there will be sacrifices and compromises no doubt, however.. I feel it's worth it.

Again thanks for all the useful advice shared on this forum.

Attachments

• Collage 2019-01-07 19_09_53.jpg
    Collage 2019-01-07 19_09_53.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 67

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello @Elon and welcome to Sphynxlair! So glad you found us! What a cutie you have there! As far as the HCM scan, there is no guarantee that the father, mother or kittens will never get HCM even with a scan but with that being said, its always better to ensure the scans are done yearly on both "breeding" parents. Here is some good info for you - What to expect from a responsible sphynx breeder. :)

Elon

Lairian
Thank you. My breeder has most if not all of the qualities listed in that thread. Besides the one noted earlier.

At what age is appropriate to get my boy tested, knowing as above there are no guarantees and anything can happen.? I have researched my breeder and have seen examples of relatives and haven't noted any concerns as of yet.

Just like humans really, you never know what health concerns may appear unexpectedly. I do just want what's best for my new addition. Certainly plan on adding him to my own health insurance policy.

Few other questions..
I am a shift worker and while away for work, reside at a second home. I intend to initially have him for an extended time at my main home while he settles.
Then make a few hour drive to my other work home. Which will be set up with many familiar, duplicated items (note the original cost comment). My other main concern is.
I work an alternating day /home/night work shift, 12 hr cycle for a week at a time.
I have no guarantees on how he'll cope adjusting to my altered circadian rhythm? I plan on keeping meal times consistent and anything else I can manage.
Have invested in automatic toys and do have occasionally occasionally, housemates around who adore cats.

Has anyone had simular experiences?. I think it'll be (hopefully) exciting for him having 2 homes. Could be wrong. Yet this is starting early in his life and has been mine for nearly 10 years.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to Sphynxlair. It sounds like you have a good plan mapped out. Cats like consistency so you nailed it about feeding tryout baby at the same time regardless of which home they are in.

They suggest the first time to get them scanned is when they are 1 years old. This gives a good baseline. .

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@Elon welcome to sphynxlair. The parents of your little boy are very beautiful! Is the other photo a photo of your little boy? I can't make it bigger on my screen so can't see it well.

If you're able to feed him at the same time that would be good. Maybe buy a automatic feeder? I'm sure he will adjust to your routine otherwise.

What an exciting time ahead of you!

TatyanaMassey

Lairian
Congrats on the new baby! So glad you found our community and we will be more than willing to help you wait for him to come home!

Elon

Lairian
Thank you for your comments and suggestions. Funny as I have already purchased a feeder that has a speaker, so a pre recorded message of my voice is played when it's lunch time.
I'll post some individual photos for you. Waiting to get more from the breeder.

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome to the lair and congratz on you new baby! Now the waiting and preparing begins, keep us posted!

Sheofthrone3

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Thank you and I will share his adventures here.
Hello! Welcome! Your future baby is adorable! I'm sure he will have an amazing life with you! It you do end up having problems with him being alone when you're gone and with your off shift schedule you can always get him a little friend to keep him company!
But im sure he'll be fine. They adjust really well. He'll just want your full attention when you are home. That voice recording feeder is such an adorable idea and I think that will help him. I can't wait to see him grow!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Elon welcome to the lair family! Your baby is adorable ! Can't wait for more updates !
glad you found the community helpful to prep for gotcha day!

Looking forward to your journey with us with lots of pics and tales!
Do you have a name list?

Looks like you have a great plan in place ! We have many Travelling Sphynx here
Highly recommend kitty proofing for life

Make sure your housemates are well versed on the Stealthness of Sphynx -
Watching opening and closing doors , dryers , stoves etc .

Are you planning on microchipping ?
Often done during neutering - amd remember to have vet Mark chart " NO ketamine anesthesia "

Do you have a hard case carrier ? I cover three sides with s towel and it makes a nice comfy cozy cave for Travelling . If you use a collar and I'd tag make sure it's s quality breakaway type is popular

So excited for you and this adorable baby boy !
Following for updates

Ps love the feeder with speaker !
I leave on a TV and or radio

Elon

Lairian
Thank you for the suggestions. I'll have to remember the ketamine, he'll come to me Microchipped.
I already have a carrier and a back seat cover/hammock.

His name is Elon and here are some recent photos I received from the breeder. Excited to see how his tiger stripes develop of the next few months.

Attachments

• IMG_3060.JPG
    IMG_3060.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3059.JPG
    IMG_3059.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3058.JPG
    IMG_3058.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3057.JPG
    IMG_3057.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3056.JPG
    IMG_3056.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3055.JPG
    IMG_3055.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 36

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Oh my goodness, what a cutie Elon is!!!! Congratulations! You sound thrilled and totally on top of things. You'll be a great Sphynx parent!

Please share your progress with us! Cheers.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Elon keep us updated often !
Look forward to lots of pics and tales
Good job to have vet mark chart "NO ketamine "

Also suggest wike at the vet have them scan for the microchip. I do this on vet visits .
I call the microchip company and make sure they have current information and update as needed (so many people move , change phone numbers ) is the microchip info in the breeders name or transferred to you ? Just a detail to share/check

Can't wait for gotcha day pics!

naomi

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi and welcome!
Your little guy looks like he will be a stunner! Too cute.

As an experienced cat foster and owner I recommend starting to travel back and forth with him as soon as he has had and adjusted to all his shots. Introducing travel early in his life will get him accustomed for life. Kittens adapt easily. If you wait you are more likely to run into issues.
Only for adult cats (especially females as they have small territory as opposed to larger ranges of territory for males) do I recommend extended adjustment periods.

That being said always keep an eye on the activity level and eating habits to make sure they are consistent. It is common for cats to get goopy eyes when the move. Check in if you notice this. It is normal but will need some monitoring.

Let me know if there is anything else you have questions about.
Congrats on your new addition !
-Naomi

Elon

Lairian
Thank you all again for your suggestions.
Here are some recent photos I received from the breeder.
Impressed with how his markings are developing.

Attachments

• _20190123_200737.JPG
    _20190123_200737.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 24
  • _20190123_200658.JPG
    _20190123_200658.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 25
  • _20190123_200636.JPG
    _20190123_200636.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 22
  • _20190123_200616.JPG
    _20190123_200616.JPG