Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Hello from Chicago-new to sphynx lair

sphynxmommy

Lairian
Hello,

I am new to the forum and would like to say hello! My kitty Mia is 10 months old and she is just awesome! I never thought I could love another(let alone a naked one) after raising my 17 year old tuxedo from a baby! Well my tuxedo passed away about 7 months ago and shortly after a tortie was being thrown my way and then a sphynx! Both cute and lovable!

The reason I joined is because I have a couple of issues about the naked one! First, is it normal for her to be sooooooo attached to me? When I am not home she cries outside the bedroom door that is closed, when my husband lets her in to show her I'm not there and she finally realizes Im not there then she cries at him! She is very spoiled and will play on her own terms but is it normal for her to cry so much when I am not home, or for attention...because believe me she gets a lot of it!

Also, is it normal for the sphynx to get red bumps on their skin. The are not zit like bumps, more like hives. She is 10 months old, eats royal canin canned food only, she is spayed. The vet gave me an oatmeal shampoo, a soothing type of shampoo and it is better than baby shampoo. The vet also gave me hydroxyine to be used twice a day for maybe allergies. Now the hydroxyine helps a lot...it took away her redness and the bumps have gone down...but is this something common in this breed? She gets bathed every 5-7 days because she gets sooooooooooo dirty the day after a bath!
It is hard because I do not know if it is an environmental allergy or a food allergy, I would like to give her dry food because there are some days that I am not at home and I cannot feed the both of them in a timely manner. Im going to try royal canin dry rabbit and green pea.
Any informaton or link is helpful!
Thanks and hello!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome to Sphynx Lair.
Take her off the Royal Canin and try N/B Duck with Green Peas.
My older sphynx had some problems sso the vet put her on the Duck.
My 9 month old sphynx was getting hives all over so I figured I would give her Cleos Duck and within 2 weeks all the hives were gone.
Some sphynx are very sensitive.
My new kitten is fine on the Royal Canin.

kiennasmom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi & welcome to the site! I can't really give you any insight about the bumps, sorry. I think most sphynx are VERY affectionate and social--it seems more so than other breeds, at least to me. Blue will cry if one of us leaves the house, even though there's still someone here with him. Or, he will sit at the top of the steps and cry because I'm downstairs. If he could, he'd be with people constantly! I call him the Ankle Bracelet because everywhere you go, he goes too!

Again, welcome & enjoy the forum!!:ThumbsUp:

TanyaT

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome to the Lair!

My Snuggles does the same thing for my husband! But he will stop for a while when I go get him away from the door:Wink:

Snuggles got the red bumps when I used oatmeal on him too. I switched to Aveno bath, no more break outs!

nbolin

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Welcome to the lair ;) You will love it here! I don't think you will find a sphynx owner on here who doesn't have a spoiled rotten Sphynx lol. They can be pretty needy when it comes to attention. It's almost like having a real baby sometimes lol ;)

Allergies does seem to be common in the Sphynx breed from what i've read on here. Kreacher himself has seasonal allergies. Every once in a while we have to go to the vet for allergy meds ;)

lemmysmommy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hello and Welcome!! Lemmy also cries when I am not where he is. I often shut the computer room door while I am in it and he sits outside and meows so loud that you can almost hear him outside the house!! LOL

sphynxmommy

Lairian
Thank you for the warm welcome. I appreciate it. I recently ordered some more RC food but maybe I'll get RC duck or thy the natural balance. My tortie eats the natural balance. Now what are your guys thoughts on dry food vs canned food. My vet highly recommended canned food diet only. I'm wondering if RC or N/B dry food could be incorporated some how. I know where my vet is coming from about the dry food, it's just hard sometimes with work to be consistent with canned food. My vet recommended 180-200 kilocal up to the first year.
Plus my kiddies will overeat with the dry food, so that's another reason I'm hesitant.

Thanks again you guys, I look forward to reading and sharing stories about our lovable and spoiled sphynx kitties!! :BigSmile:

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi Sphynxmommy and welcome to the lair!

It appears quite natural for sphynx to want all your attention all the time! Mine will go out of the room your in, sit in another one and cry just because he wants a change of scenery and thinks you should too!!

I feed both wet and dry food, 1/2 small can in morning and whole can in the evening with biscuits available all day. My boy is 8 years olds though so won't need as much as your growing baby.

From reading other posts it appears the younger the cat the dirtier and more often they need to be bathed (this isn't something I experienced as I got my boy at 7) bt if you type bathing/bathtime in the search bar at the top I'm sure you'll come across some threads saying similar things.

I'm not sure on the skin problem but I wold listen to M2M as she knows a lot about the breed and has had cats with allergy problems.

Good luck and welcome again!:BigSmile:

X

gizmo6370

Banned
Welcome to the lair :Smile:

Sphynxcats sure are affectionate...i always talk about it.....like me and my shadow...i have 5 in the house...i'm never alone :LOL:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Welcome to the Lair! YES!! All of our kitties want us all the time! :) No advice on the bumps but M2M said some good things. She knows her stuff! Goodluck!

2baldies

Lairian
My girl Nova "sings" like lady gaga at night when I'm not in bed and she wants me to come to bed so she can snuggle with the back of my legs. Sounds kind of like rah rah rah rahhhwwwww. So funny! How can I resist not going to bed!:LOL:

hotmooncat

Lairian
Welcome
At this forum a lot of information, and most importantly responsive people!
Show photos of red bumps, then who has seen this problem could help you.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I'm not an expert but this is my two cents worth.......They do not look like hives to me. They look more like cystic bumps under the skin or maybe deposits of fatty tissue. I'd have a biopsy done and see if the vet could turn up anything.

jovanna

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hello,

Welcome to the forum! Mia is beautiful! It sounds like she has separation anxiety. I'm sorry about her skin problems. Perhaps it's an allergy to something.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello sphynxmommy and welcome to Sphynxlair! It sounds like an allergy is causing the red bumps. Different food or trying Johnson baby shampoo may help.:Laugh:

susi794

Staff member
Maybe sebaeceous cysts from clogged pores? Try using Dawn dish soap to cut the oil lots of us swear by it here. I don't know if I welcomed you here or not, LOL, so I'm doing so now. We're glad you joined our little family of "crazy cat people"! The folks here are very friendly and anxious to share both your sorrows and your joys. Go Sphynx Lair!!!

sphynxmommy

Lairian
Thank you for the info, and the welcome,now these cysts...is this something that should be a major concern? Before I go running to my vet, which I normally do! I would like to try to take care of it at home. Previously she had this red color to her pink skin along with these bumps my vet gave me hydroxyine and the redness cleared up and I stopped giving her kibble food.
It is hard to keep her on canned food because I am not home to feed often so I started giving her some RC kibble-Rabbit and green pea, no redness but still these little bumps only in this area.
The bigger bumps are the ones that are more of a concern-my vet said not to use the johnson and johnson shampoo, but maybe I will try the dishsoap. If these things do not go away and in fact are cysts, will I need a biopsy? What is the outcome of this? Will they need to be removed, if they are not removed will there be a problem? Anytime anyone says biopsy....I think the worse. Any thougths or experience with this will be helpful! Thank you

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with Susi, they look like cysts. I would have the vet do bloodwork first and consult with him or her about removal.

Attachments

• user768_pic4705_1272161834.jpg
    user768_pic4705_1272161834.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 41

sphynxmommy

Lairian
Thank you for the info, now the only problem with removal is that she DOES NOT do well with anestesia. During her spay surgery she was a mess, she was so hyper from the medicine and was banging her head against the cage. They had to keep her there all day, they almost admitted her to the emergency vet. When we got home she had to be monitored all night, we had to hold her so she could rest...anyways it was a mess so do you know if it is necessary for them to be removed? thanks for all your help!:Hysterical:

admin

Administrator
Staff member
A feline cyst is a small bump that can be felt through the skin. Cysts can be caused by a number of things and are often harmless, but its best to have them checked out by your veterinarian to make sure.

They may develop as a result of an infection, a clogged oil duct, or a foreign body in the skin (such as a splinter). Cysts can be composed of dead cells, fluid, or semi-fluid matter.
Cysts go by several names although the symptoms, diagnosis and treatment is the same:

Sebaceous Cysts (epidermal inclusion cysts) — this is the most common type of cyst in cats and appears anywhere on your cat's body. The cysts can be up to 1 inch in size and needs drainage to avoid infection (it is filled with a something called sebum). They are usually benign (not cancerous).

Keratinous cysts — contains a grayish cheesy material

Follicular cysts — caused by retention of fluid or skin material

Pilar cysts (trichilemmal isthmus-catagne) — material from hair follicles

Dermoid cysts – Hereditary cysts

Apocrine cysts — multiple cysts that are adjacent (also called apocrine hamartomas or nevi)
Symptoms of a Cat Cyst
A cyst is usually a small bump and may seem to roll around under your touch like a small pea or marble. They are generally slow-growing and smooth to the touch. They are usually painless, unless they are infected. However, sometimes they will grow fairly large and will become bothersome even if not infected. They can occur on any part of the body. You are most likely to discover them while petting your cat.
Diagnosis of a Cat Cyst
A cyst is easily diagnosed. If you find an odd bump on your cat, visit your vet to get it checked out. Depending on the location, shape, look, and feel of the bump, your vet may recommend a biopsy or may simply diagnose a cyst on the spot. A biopsy involves using a needle to remove some cells from the lump or cutting away a small bit of skin from the lump to be examined by a pathologist. The biopsy will determine if the lump is a cyst or some sort of tumor, perhaps a form of cancer, and let your vet know what kind of treatment is needed. Alternatively, your vet may opt to simply remove the lump right away.
Treatment of a Cat Cyst
If your vet determines that the lump is just a fluid filled cat cyst and that it is not causing your pet any problems, he or she may advise leaving it alone. Cysts will often rupture and heal on their own without any treatment.
If there is an infection, the fluid will need to be drained or the cyst may need to be surgically removed. If the cyst is causing your pet discomfort, if will also need to be removed. If there is any question about the nature of the lump, it should also be removed in order to make sure it is not cancerous or otherwise harmful to your cat.

Procedures used to remove cysts include electrocautery (process that uses heat generated by electricity) or cryotherapy (freezing). Your cat will need to be sedated to minimize movement during the procedure. Your cat may require anesthesia.

Back