Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Hello from Chicago!

packbat

Lairian
Hi Sphynxlair!

My husband and I are currently living in Chicago and are hoping to be sphynx parents soon! We have both been doing research and simply love what we have learned about this awesome breed. Wanting to be responsible parents we want to know everything we can about them beforehand!

The only issue is that we have never met a sphynx in person. No pet shelters have any around us and we don't know anyone who has one. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to meet some sphynxes? Thanks in advance!

I look forward to getting to know this community!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome! Not sure if any a give members from Sphynxlair live by you, but maybe one will let you experience Sphynx Love first hand! Over the years we have shared our crew with first timers and it is wonderful to see their faces light up and their hearts ready to love one of their own. @packbat

packbat

Lairian
Welcome! Not sure if any a give members from Sphynxlair live by you, but maybe one will let you experience Sphynx Love first hand! Over the years we have shared our crew with first timers and it is wonderful to see their faces light up and their hearts ready to love one of their own. @packbat

Ah! That would be so wonderful! :happy: I will look for a thread to post in for that!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello @packbat and welcome to Sphynxlair! So glad you found us! Great advice thus far, I'm sure visiting a breeder would also be a great chance to hold and interact with a sphynx, good luck with your sphynx adventure! Please enjoy the community! :)

spottedsphynx

Lairian
I'm new around here too! And to the Sphynx world! Definitely visit a reputable breeder that you'd be interested in getting a kitten from! They should be happy to let you meet them. I went with my friend to visit her baby she put a deposit on and the breeder put the three in my lap that needed homes and I bonded with my girl immediately. Any good breeder will let you meet them and continue to visit them while you are waiting to pick them up :)

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome! So cool you've decided to love the sphynx cat breed. I promise, you won't be disappointed! I think it's so responsible of you to try and meet some sphynxes before getting one of your own. Kudos to you! Keep us updated how it goes.

Yoda mom

Staff member
You can post a thread looking for a reputable breeder in your area :)
The cat shows are another great way .. but most will not let the kitties at shows be handled .
(Cross contamination precautions ) same with catteries .
Also just because they are at a cat show does not make them a reputable breeder so do lots of research .
Many many years ago I was looking for a Bengal. A top winning Bengal breeder at the show actually had a kitty mill :( I went to visit and I was shocked .

Definitely recommend posting for a member breeder cattery recommendation to visit :)
(I imagine Some members may be on the side of caution for guests /visitors )

So happy you are doing your research :)
This site has a tom of great threads to prep for gotcha day !
Feel free to jump in and post with us and ask any questions :)
Do you have other pets you can share pics of ? All paws are lair family :)

The first time I got to actually feel a Sphynx is when I was surprised with my girl as a gift ..
Your hearts will be going pitter patter when you actually meet n greet this amazing breed :)

Keep us updated often! Welcoming you and yours to the journey :)

Last edited:

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@packbat welcome to sphynxlair. If you would live in the Netherlands I would invite you for a cuddle the 4 sphynx visit:).
A reputable breeder will allow you to visit the kittens when you live close enough. You can also go to catshows. Or post in which area you live and maybe someone close will invite you

susi794

Staff member
You are all saying any reputable breeder will allow you to come visit. That isn’t always the case. If the breeder has a litter of neonates, visitations can bring germs into the cattery that could kill tiny babies. A reputable breeder should welcome scheduled visits when all kits are at least 4-6 weeks old. At the cat shows I went to, owners didn’t allow people to hold or touch their cats. I would try asking a breeder without tiny kittens or visiting a friend who has sphynx. I am about 3.5 hrs. From Chicago. You would be welcome to visit. I do know some sphynx owners there, I could ask if they minded sharing contact info with you if you like.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@susi794 thanks for bringing this in. I did mean to see that a breeder will allow you to visit a kitten when you have an option/reservation and indeed when the kitten is old enough. I didn't mean to suggest that anybody who wants to pet a sphynxkitten will be welcome at the breeders home. Not all.
I didn't explain myself well enough so glad you stepped in. Thanks!

susi794

Staff member
@susi794 thanks for bringing this in. I did mean to see that a breeder will allow you to visit a kitten when you have an option/reservation and indeed when the kitten is old enough. I didn't mean to suggest that anybody who wants to pet a sphynxkitten will be welcome at the breeders home. Not all.
I didn't explain myself well enough so glad you stepped in. Thanks!

You were fine....I just get worried when I hear any phrase starting with: “Any reputable breeder...”. It is one of my pet peeves. As buyers, we tend to think ALL good breeders do the same thing, raise their kits the same way, etc. when that is not the case. I will agree that all reputable breeders have standards for cleanliness, and the health of their breeding stock and their kits (immunizations, cardiac scans, etc.). But on many matters, like mandatory sterilizations before the kittens leave the breeder, cage training or raising them underfoot, age the breeder will let the kittens go, visitations, etc., breeders differ. Because a breeder doesn’t do things the same way, if the sanitation and health standards are observed, then that doesn’t make them disreputable. Any group of breeders, of any breed of dogs, cats, etc. often think their way is THE way. If you are considering buying an animal from a breeder, go see for yourself how the kittens are raised, talk to past buyers, ask for vet references, ask to see actual cardiac scan receipts/reports for both the queen and the sire. Then YOU decide if you believe this breeder is reputable or not.

Sorry for the long rant. It’s not directed at you, @Toa and Ross, sweet friend. It just pulls my strings.:eek::eek::bored:
Much love to all,
Susi and the gang

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@susi794 can imagine it pulls your strings. Cause you're absolutly right! I'm glad you share this so we all get a little sharper when we say what 'all reputable breeders' should or should not do.
Sometimes I'm a hurry or I'm tired what makes it difficult to think/write in English and I go too short in what I advice/say. And that does not right to all the reputable breeders!

packbat

Lairian
@Yoda mom Thank you so much for the advice! I have been reading through all the info on here and it has been so helpful! I currently don't have any pets :[ One reason why I am so excited to add new family members! Thank you for such a warm welcome!

packbat

Lairian
@susi794 Thank you and that is all great information to know and now research more into!
Thank you for your help and generous offer! I would love if you reached out, 3.5 hours isn't impossible but we don't own a car. :(
But if anyone lived closer that would we could make something work!

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@susi794 I'm so glad you wrote that. I see "reputable breeder" tossed out as if being reputable is 0% or 100%.

But it's one thing to spay/neuter all your kittens before adopting them out, and quite another thing to take responsibility for vet bills if a kitten turns out to be sick. How many breeders are reputable about the latter? I would say zero.

susi794

Staff member
@susi794 Thank you and that is all great information to know and now research more into!
Thank you for your help and generous offer! I would love if you reached out, 3.5 hours isn't impossible but we don't own a car. :(
But if anyone lived closer that would we could make something work!

I will give it a shot and promise to get back to you, ok?

@susi794 I'm so glad you wrote that. I see "reputable breeder" tossed out as if being reputable is 0% or 100%.

But it's one thing to spay/neuter all your kittens before adopting them out, and quite another thing to take responsibility for vet bills if a kitten turns out to be sick. How many breeders are reputable about the latter? I would say zero.

It depends on what “sick” means and when it occurs. Breeders usually ask for a vet check within 24-48 hrs. to make sure the kitten is 100% healthy. If the illness comes from the stress of moving, it isn’t the breeder’s fault. Most breeders also offer a guarantee against congenital defects and most offer a guarantee against HCM for at least a few years. I have assisted with vet bills on many occasions. Just recently paid $700 toward some extractions one of my cats needed...and I sold him a few years ago. So I wouldn‘t say zero applies. Breeding sphynx kittens is very expensive, often heart breaking and difficult to do successfully on occasion. I can’t speak for all breeders, but many are fair, caring, and generous people, who do the best they can. Of course, there are rotten ones out there too....let’s hope no one gets one of those kind!

Much love,
Susi

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@susi794 I didn't know you were a breeder so I'm sorry I got involved in this discussion but anyway I stand by what I said - "reputable" is not all or nothing. Breeders can behave in a reputable manner about one thing but not another. I was agreeing with you that buyers need to decide who they think is reputable for themselves. I don't think someone such as yourself would need to worry but others....

You brought up how expensive it is to raise kittens. While this may be true I don't think it's relevant. It's ironic that the breeder I dealt with told me the same thing. Just imagine that you try to return something to a store and they tell you that they can't give you all your money back because it's expensive to run the store. Say what? Do they think you're responsible for the store staying in business?

Last edited:

susi794

Staff member
@Condo commando I agree with you 100% about the buyers deciding for themselves about who is reputable. I’m sorry you regret adding to this discussion. I never meant it to be the buyers vs. the breeders argument. It doesnt matter that I am a breeder. I have screwed up on occasion, I’m sure. And I get it that having a bad experience with a breeder can sour people. I bought a cat from a breeder in Iowa (or Idaho, I can’t remember for sure which). She was shipped and she was sneezing and coughing right off the plane. Made my whole clan sick. My vet called the cat Typhoid Mary. I was just starting my breeding program and that cat almost bankrupted me. That darn breeder refused me any assistance what so ever! Believe me, I get it.
Truce? LOL, I hope nobody’s mad...topics like these can become pretty passionate.
Much love,
Susi

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@susi794 I don't think you are part of the problem but there is a problem. The breeder I had my bad experience with told me some of the horror stories that happened to her. She was trying to rationalize why she couldn't do any more for me, which was a load of BS to me because I didn't do anything wrong. Anyway you had your breeder horror stories too...I guess it's an open secret. Buyer beware is the best consumer advice.

We're good tho, no worries :)

Yoda mom

Staff member
@packbat , keep us updated often
Please post any questions you are wondering about :)
I remember the first time I touched s Sphynx - it was on my surprise gotcha day
I thought they would be Sooo fragile - lol
More like monkey cat dog all in one

Back