Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Hello from Lauren, Martini and Mimosa

Lauren Smith

Lairian
F18E3E1B-BA97-4937-B036-9126FB6C8135.jpeg

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome welcome. Your babies are gorgeous. Tell us a little bit more about them, and please post more pictures! We never get enough pictures. :)

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Lauren Smith , welcome to the lair family ! Martini and Mimosa are so adorable !
Great picture of them together ! Cute names!
Are they littermates? How old are they? What's their favorite toy amd funniest habit ?

Hope you are active with us with lots of pics and tales!

Lauren Smith

Lairian
Hi and thank you!
I did not name them- I purchased them from a wonderful person who had her hands full about 4 months ago. Fortunately, I love their names!
They are littermates, and they turned three years old this month. They have completely turned my (and my daughter's) life up-side down; we thought we knew what we were getting into but we didn't have a clue. We fell in love with my best friend's sphynx, which have very different temperaments and behaviors than ours. They have been the sunshine in a dark time for us both, and give us endless entertainment and frustration and snuggles. We can not imagine life without them.
Mimi loves to chase a laser pointer, and Tini loves those feather on a string on a stick things. Mimi is fairly calm and sweet, and Tini is unhinged and naughty and aggressively loving. It has been a total trip watching Tini figure things out- using his paws as hands, trying to open doors, playing fetch...he's brilliant, but in a monkey trouble maker way. Mimi is somewhat chubby and lazy but has a wild streak herself.
My daughter and I are now trying to get them used to going outside- I wish we could have acclimated them as kittens. We take short walks up to Starbucks to show them off on harnesses and leashes, but we end up having to hold them because Mimi falls over like a lump when we try to urge her to "walk". They get ALL the attention, which they love.
My (11 year old) daughter's favorite thing to do is allow them to get under her blankets at night to sleep, and we both love kissing their wrinkly faces. They tolerate us.
I will be searching around this forum for advice on how to get them to NOT SHRED MY COUCH AND HEADBOARD, and what I can do to lessen litter tracking on fake hardwood floors.... and maybe what else we can do to make them more comfortable outside, and maybe more information about food that would be good for them that doesn't cost half a paycheck, if such a food exists.
Thank you for letting me in, I look forward to making friends and learning more about these crazy aliens!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Welcome to sphynxlair! Mimi and Tini are gorgeous and adorable. Loved your story about them. I can feel your love for them.
Maybe you could try going out with a stroller if the don't get used to a harness? Mine hate the harness to but love the stroller!

3Keys21Mind

Lairian
Ms. Menhit eats Royal Cannin Sphynx formula and PC pates. I probably spend $80 a month for her, but understand that might get a little pricey for two chubby babies.

The only thing I could think of to fix the litter tracking was to get an outside mat with the really thick grooves. It helps. And I just take it outside and clean it when I clean the box.

A little foghorn made her stop stratching at furniture (making it go off when I caught her, but made sure she couldn't see me making the noice so she thought it was the thing she was scratching). Make sure you have something vertical and horizontal to scratch on though. Try some different textures too.

TheZu

Lairian
You can also try applying doubles sides sticky tape to those places ... It's supposed to discourage them cause they don't like the feeling.

They are so adorable though, and I love their nicknames! Falling in love seems to be a pretty common occurrence for sphinx owners XD

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
You found the right place! Welcome! Tell us all about your babies and share, share, share everything!

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Welcome to the Lair! This is the best resource for sphynx care and maintainence on the web! Your babes are beautiful!

@Yoda mom is a great member to provide advice on training and care tips! She gave me scratching post advice, and we proudly have had zero issue with Kenzo scratching things he’s not supposed to! Basically, provide many different kinds of scratchers for your kitties. When they are showing behaviors like they are going to scratch something they aren’t supposed to, move them to the posts and scratch it with your hand and then praise them when they follow. Set-in bad behaviors may be harder to correct, so you will need to be very diligent to get the point across. I know they sell like anti-scratch spray, but I have no experience with it. Hopefully, someone else will chime in!

As far as food goes, there are plenty of quality foods available at reasonable cost, in my opinion. Especially, here in the states! Look for local companies. Raw is also an option. In my previous experience with my pit/boxer mix, going raw was actually cheaper than his current diet of Blue Buffalo food. Not sure if that’s the same with a sphynx’s diet. If you have Netflix, please watch PET FOOLED. It’s a very informative and revealing documentary about certain (expensive) big brand pet foods... that’s all I will say, as to not ruffle too many feathers of other posters. :angelic:

Another GREAT product I just found is the Black Hole Litter mat! We had another brand before, and it wasn’t doing it’s job. We have nearly black, sleek hardwoods here, so every little crumb of litter is extremely visible. The Black Hole mat is fabulous! It’s a little pricey, but I’m literally about to order a second one for our upstairs box since they are so effective. :cat:

Back