Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Hello from Louisiana!

MaddieP

Lairian
Well, I went and looked at reviews and they made me a bit nervous. Out of the 12 online I could find, 2 were about getting unhealthy/FIP positive kittens, which for a first time owner/buyer scares me. I wish I could find an owner in my area to mentor me or let me care for their nakid for a bit so I can better understand their day to day care.

Yoda mom

Staff member
Welcome to the lair family ! Look forward to updates :)
Jump in and enjoy this fun friendly bunch
There are a lot of great links to help with reputable breeders amd prep for gotcha day Sphynx life :)

Yoda mom

Staff member
@MaddieP soooo excited for you ! and for us!
Can’t wait for gotcha day pics tales and name reveal !

Ps retail therapy is great awaiting gotcha day! Christmas time is purrfect !

MaddieP

Lairian
It's so hard waiting but I know it's gonna be worth it. When we get our new little boy every second will be worth it. We have a few colors we would prefer (pointed, black, black and white), but we're fairly open to any boys.
I'm amassing a Chewy cart full for when I have an obligation-free check. The rescue I work with is currently in the middle of our biggest event of the year, an online auction and follow up in person event, so I'm already over 100 bucks into buying auction things, plus other bills for the next three weeks.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@MaddieP bless you for your volunteer rescue time helping all paws((hugs))’ and all paws crossed for a successful auction !
(I just went to the no kill animal shelter annual garage sale and love donating to them ... they are so appreciative ... I am donating more cat trees for their kitty room .)

Lol did u see chewy has a a new favorites tab lol

Any must haves favs?

Going to be one spoiled baby ! So excited for you !

MaddieP

Lairian
I do rabbit rescue, but I also support and know many volunteers at the local cat and dog shelters. It's so fulfilling and has brought three of my fur babies into my life, so I'm forever grateful to my rescue family! That's awesome about the cat trees, when I'm able I try to do as much as I can. I do cleaning of extra toy stashes and buy clearance at work to give.

I did not know that, but I'm glad you mentioned it. Right now I have a heated bed, Trizulta, Hylyt, their kitty gift box and a couple of toys in my basket. I've actually never ordered from Chewy, I work in a large chain store so I have an easier time buying at work. I also have bath gloves in my Amazon cart and kitty fleece sweaters and a harness saved on Etsy. Any other suggestions?

When it gets closer to breeding day I'll ask the breeder what her preferences are for bathing and feeding, as our 3 are currently on Authority Hairball and weight control.

Sheldon13

Staff member
I was going to suggest a heated bed, but you’re on top of that! Ellie simply loves hers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MaddieP

Lairian
I have a dumb question... Since I haven't interacted with a Sphynx since I was younger, I don't know if their skin is sensitive enough to be scratched by human nails when your scritching them? My hairy boys love their hardcore nail scritches. I'm sure when I get him that I'll learn their sensitivity quickly, but just out of curiosity... I don't want to hurt him.

Anita Eccleston

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm Maddie and I'm hoping to get a Sphynx within the next year. My boyfriend and I have picked out a breeder and are really excited to expand our animal bunch! If anyone can give any advice I would appreciate it!
Hello and welcome !
If you’ve found your breeder that’s the first hurdle over ! Now you can save and prepare for your little one to come home the rest is just the waiting game !
In which you can do as much research as you need . I hope you get your little one sooner rather than later
Massive hugs
From us xxx❤️❤️❤️Xxx

MaddieP

Lairian
Hello and welcome !
If you’ve found your breeder that’s the first hurdle over ! Now you can save and prepare for your little one to come home the rest is just the waiting game !
In which you can do as much research as you need . I hope you get your little one sooner rather than later
Massive hugs
From us xxx❤️❤️❤️Xxx
Thank you very much! I'm very much hoping that time passes quickly, as the parents aren't even due to be bred until July, so I doubt I'll have a chance to bring him home early.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@MaddieP , I have a heated k&h bed... they never use it lol maybe becz I am in Florida ..lol
I have found the 50x60 fleece blankets for about $10 bucks at Ross or Marshall’s are the favorite

I have fleece blankets on my bed and trained them to it at bedtime ..
They come chirping and meowing to be tucked in like sphynx burritos..
Mine prefer beeping next to me in their blamkies instead of the heated cat bed .

As for scritches with your nails ... I discovered mine like many here like to be spanked at the base of the tail! They get all excited for little spankings !

My Claire Bare prefers to lay on my chest at bed time ..head butting me smiling purring and falling asleep as I tell she “pretty girl Claire Bare .

MaddieP

Lairian
@MaddieP , I have a heated k&h bed... they never use it lol maybe becz I am in Florida ..lol
I have found the 50x60 fleece blankets for about $10 bucks at Ross or Marshall’s are the favorite

I have fleece blankets on my bed and trained them to it at bedtime ..
They come chirping and meowing to be tucked in like sphynx burritos..
Mine prefer beeping next to me in their blamkies instead of the heated cat bed .

As for scritches with your nails ... I discovered mine like many here like to be spanked at the base of the tail! They get all excited for little spankings !

My Claire Bare prefers to lay on my chest at bed time ..head butting me smiling purring and falling asleep as I tell she “pretty girl Claire Bare .
We have tons of blankets, I'm always cold and my dad prefers the cold, so I want to make sure that he's warm enough.
I'll try to stick with pats. I'm way too excited to get to know him. They all have such unique personalities.

Sheldon13

Staff member
No way is their skin too sensitive! They LUV scratches with nails! I would say their skin is similar to ours as to what pressure of scratching they can tolerate.

MaddieP

Lairian
Ok, I'm glad I won't be scraping my baby giving him scritches! Thanks for the advice!
On another note, the auction went extremely well... I bought nearly a paycheck's worth, including a rather stunning hand painted bowling pin and a wellness checkup my regular vet donated.

Attachments

• 0518191915.jpg
    0518191915.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 13

MaddieP

Lairian
I have a timing question... The breeder I am going to does not have her health guarantee listed on her site. When should I ask to see it? I think that was something I should have done when I first contacted her, but was so excited I didn't even think about it. Also, I asked my boyfriend to look through her previous kittens gallery to see which colors he liked. One of them he found we both fell in love with, but I didn't mention the color in our initial emails. I feel bad for adding a new consideration, and like I will be bothering her, which I know will not be considering I'm going to be purchasing a kitten from her. Any advice? I tried typing out an email but it just sounds demanding.

Sheldon13

Staff member
As long as you ask for it before any is put down it’s ok.

On the color, breeders do not mind this at all. The only consideration for you might be that you have to wait longer to get the color you want. Personally o wouldn’t have the patience.

Back