Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Hello from Texas!

TortieTerror

Lairian
My Sphynx Tail!! I could write a book!!

We were blessed with our first baby in 1998, husband had seen them on TV a few years earlier and had always wanted one. We finally decided to become a Sphynx Owner, little did we know how wrong we were about the owner part!! I saw a picture of our baby that the breeder sent with the contract. I am thinking this is something only a mother could love, he was blue and completely bald. Settled on a name Ramses and went to get him at the airport. I saw that sweet little pixie face and completely fell in LOVE. Here is the part I could go on and on....

We lost Ramses to HCM in 2002 he was 3 1/2, it nearly killed us. We knew nothing about this. What he went through, no one 4 legged or 2 legged should ever have to endure.

Being without a sweet Sphynx was almost as bad. We went in search of another, I had a computer then. Still didn't know much about HCM in the breed, but felt confident that Ramses was a fluke. We picked up our B/W boy Cairo in 2002, he was a ball of fire and the sweetest boy ever!! We then decided to get another, Egypt came to live with us in 2003, she is all Black and was soooo tiny. It was Wonderful, we were in Sphynx Heaven!! We had never been owned by a 4 legged before!!! It takes a lot of learning, but Cairo and Egypt kept at it!!

We lost Cairo in 2007 to HCM. Part of my heart gone again. At least by this time we had learned a lot, I had posted on the Sphynx Breeder Groups about my Ramses and Cairo and came to know 3 breeders quite well. 1 in particular has now become very Dear to me. Mary, you know who you are! Without her we would not have our sweet, terrible, loving, naughty and nutty Calli. Yes she is the Tortie that I got my ID from TortieTerror!!!

Believe it or not that is the short of it. LOL Will give more detail as needed!!
I am so glad to be here, I love the work that SphynxLair is doing, we need more people like this. Again, thank you for letting me join.
Hugs, TortieTerror

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

Welcome to the site Tammy.
Post the pics so everyone can see how beautiful your cats were and see your other cat.
I am showing Wrinkles this weekend.

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Welcome! I have on cat with HCM and one that died of suspected HCM but I denied the necropsy.

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome to the lair! Sorry to hear about the loss of your sphynx due to HCM- it is a terrible thing. I can't wait to see pics of your tortie:BigSmile:

TortieTerror

Lairian
Hello Jacky! Great to see someone I know! I can post pictures of Cairo, but sadly I don't have any digital pics of Ramses. I still need to scan some of the pictures, hope I can get to a scanner sometime soon.

Melonie, thank you! Both the boys could not be denied. It was there in all the scans. So far my girls are great.

tessblack

Banned
Welcome

Your story is just heart breaking! I too did not know anything about HCM until I found this site. Can't wait to see pics of your babies.

Harry Spotter

Lairian
I am sorry you have gone through so much pain. Harry and our recent rescue both have HCM. It's a a terrible health problem with the Sphynx and some other breeds as well. We will be purring and praying for you and your family.

TortieTerror

Lairian
Thank you all for your welcome messages.

If I had not happened on the Sphynx Groups I probably would not have known about HCM either. Through a few breeders they talked me into posting about Ramses and back then there wasn't a lot of talk about it. As I said you got the short version, as some of you here are aware, the details can be very hard to read.

I am just trying to get through the site and will post pictures soon!
Hugs, Tammy

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome to Sphynx Lair. I'm sorry to hear about Ramses and Cairo, but am glad to know the holes in your hear have been filled with Egypt and Calli.

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Sorry to hear about your losses. Sphynx are addictive. I am on my fourth sweety. I am hooked on Sphynx. Enjoy the Lair - it is a real treat.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Welcome to the Lair!!! Sorry to hear about your loses to HCM, its such a tragic disease. However, I can't wait to see pics of your babies. I too currently have a "tortie terror". =)

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello TortieTerror and welcome to Sphynxlair! So sorry to hear of your misfortune. I hope the site will help bring good things for you and thank you for the kind words! Please enjoy!:ThumbsUp:

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome to the lair TortieTerror. Sadly many of us here can relate to the pain of losing a kitty to HCM; I've lost seven Maine Coons to it.

For sphynxies, I lost my heart kitty last spring to abdominal cancer and am down to just one girl. She's 8 years old and no problems so far (knock on wood). I've been on a waiting list for a kitten since last July and the breeder recently had kittens so it won't be long now.

You'll find a ton of info here, and the Lair is the most caring group of online people I've ever met. Can't wait to see pictures of your babies!

laurame

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Welcome fellow Texan! So sorry for your loss :( Lots of great people on here.

Hello and welcome! Glad that you found us! Sorry to hear about your loss. Look forward to seeing lots of pictures and hearing more about your nakeds!

firehillqueen

Banned
Welcome fellow Texan. I lost my beloved Singe, my first sphynx, to HCM when he was only a year and half. It was heart breaking and so unexpected. My heart goes out to you.
I now own four lovely Sphynx and have hairless babies on the way the end of Feburary.
If you get to a point where you are ready for a memorial picture of your beloved kitties please contact me. You can find my art in the Sphynx Lair Mall under Crescent Moon Designs.

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome to the Lair of Nakeds! Naked cats that is. So true about the tortie terror thing....love the username.

pooner

Banned
Welcome to the Lair. I am so sorry to hear about your losses :Cry:
My little sweet Pooner has HCM and I fear the day I lose him, I know it will just break my heart :Cry:
It really helps to here stories of others who have been able to move on and love another sphynx after losing one to HCM.

Gizzymom

Banned
Welcome to the Lair, Tammi!! So sorry about your losses of Ramses and Cairo...-would love to see pics of them...As well as your babies, Egypt and Cali:ThumbsUp:

JacksMom

Banned
Welcome to the lair! When I got my boy, Jack, I never heard of HCM. Now, every time I read a post about it, which seems to be alot, I freak! Jack's my first and is almost 8 months, and I just pray (literally) that he does not have nor will ever develop it. I am so sorry for your loss...these little nakeds are so addicting and can so add such fulfillment to ones life; I am living proof! Welcome, again.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome, I am so sorry for your loss as well. I know you had to be heart broken and probably you still are. But, maybe your other babies will help some. Would like to see pics.

TortieTerror

Lairian
Thank you all for your kind words. We still miss the boys, but yes the girls do help it a lot. I will be working on more pictures tomorrow. I did put up an album of the boys. Only had one of Ramses, it is the very small picture.

For all of you who have known the loss of a sweet kitty, my heart goes out to you to. Can't wait to go through the site more tomorrow and to get to know all of you. I am sure I will find some old friends as well.:BigSmile: