Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Hello hello!

Danielle

Lairian
I am just 6 days from picking up my new baby from the airport.

It happened like this, my husband and I have 2 cats, Guppy is an 8 yr. old male tuxedo that we've had since he was about a week old(bottle fed and all that good stuff) and Moxie a 1.5 yr old black female that we've had a little over a year. Our friend found eating some trash surrounded by barking dogs. She is a sweetie and fits in with our little family perfectly. Fast forward a year, my husband(Ed) was working on a very intense project that required almost all of his time and I don't remember exactly how "the deal" came about but it was pretty much that at the end of the project I get a shpynx.

I've loved Sphynx since I was young and used to call breeders(to their dismay) in the back of Cat Fancy magazines and ask questions in my most adult voice :x It was in the middle of the project that I realized I could ask for something fairly pricey, so I asked for my dream cat! I think I may have just threw the idea out there and it stuck.

The project that ed was working on was a video game being released on xbox live arcade and the pc. The day after it came out while everything was crazy(it still is) i happened to look at the website of the breeder I had already decided on and saw that she had just the day before updated the kitten page! it seemed meant to be. I sent an email, picked my girl out, and made a deposit.

It's getting so close that it'a almost painful. I am SO excited and when I'm going to sleep at night I imagine picking her up at the airport and then cant sleep for an hour. Something I'm feeling nervous about that I'm hoping you can help me with is how the whole airport thing will go down, if you've had your kitten shipped. I'm very concerned about how early we should get there...

Thank you for reading all of this and I look forward to being a part of this forum!

Last edited by a moderator:

Inferno12

Banned
Welcome and I am excited for you! I can her the excitement in your post :Laugh:. I cant help you with the shipping since I have never had a cat shipped but many people in here have and they will help you. I just wanted to say welcome and congrats on your baby she is beautiful!

I dont have a blog but my Johnny has his own facebook page!

Johnny | Facebook

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hello and nice to meet you! Have you picked a name for your little girl or are you going to wait until you get her?

When I was flying cats around I used to get to the airport about 15 minutes before the plane landed. But I haven't done that for 15 years so things may be different nowadays. Be sure to take identification with you, that much hasn't changed.

My girl Pedda has her own Facebook page but I profess, I really don't get FB and am not very fond of it. She also has a blog which is long overdue for updating.

Good luck and post pics for us to see when she gets here!

gizmo6370

Banned
Welcome to the lair:BigSmile:
She looks like a little cutie...post pics when you've got her :Wink:
Can't really help on the airport thing...i once get a cat shipped...but he was brought to us by courier....so we were waiting on the airport for her phone call ( about a 30 min. before the plan landed )...and had to walk to the right gate :Smile:

Gizzymom

Banned
Welcome, Danielle!!! And congrats early on your new baby!!:ThumbsUp:

I picked my Gizzy up from the breeder, but I had to pick up my friend's american hairless terrier at the airport a few years ago. Not sure how your airport is, but at O'Hare in Chicago "freight" comes to a different building... People from freight drive over to the airport and pick up the pet and bring it to the freight facility. I arrived 15 minutes before the flight... but that was even too early since then the pet has to be driven over to me. I did not get her till about 30 minutes+ after the plane landed, but I didn't have to deal with the business and security at O'Hare. I would call your airport and ask. :Laugh:

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I see you are in California also.
I picked 4 of my cats up at the Airport.
3 in Cargo and 1 inside the Airport.
Get there around 15 minutes before the flight lands.
Also you will have to wait at least 20 minutes after the plane lands for the kitten to come off the plane.
Track the kittens flights also so you can go later or earlier if you have to.
I just picked up my new kitten the day on Nov 24th from the airport.
If you want to know anything we all can help.
Welcome to the site.
Make sure you have a I.D with you.
You need to show it to the agent when you pick the kitten up.
It is really easy.

Danielle

Lairian
Thank you all for the warm welcome and easing my mind :) I will def call the airport etc. and thank you for the tip about tracking the plane! I can assure you there are LOTS of pics to come. Ooo about her name, it's a daily discussion but I don't think we can decide on one until we meet her.

I know she is white with blue eyes, is there a special name for this or is it just white when people ask :Study:

5174112012_1b6fdc86ae.jpg

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
They call them white points when they have blue eyes.
It is the blue eyes that make her a point.
Wrinkles mom is a white point.
Your kitten is pretty!!!!!!!
BTW I got my oldest sphynx Cleo on Dec 10th 2008 after the breeder called off shipping her twice because it was to cold on his side.

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Yay another California girl:BigSmile: She is beautiful- how exciting for you. I picked up Nudie at the airport and it went suprisingly easy. I tracked her flight and called the airline to determine whether I would pick up at the cargo desk or the baggage claim office. Then I arrived 20 minutes before the plane landed to be sure I was in the right place and get parking (plus I was too excited not to be early:BigSmile:). Keep us posted...

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Sphynxie the kitten is from Wrinkles and Nudies breeder.
I recognized the back ground and the look of the kitten so I just asked Janice and she sent me the pic.

Danielle

Lairian
Yay another California girl:BigSmile: She is beautiful- how exciting for you. I picked up Nudie at the airport and it went suprisingly easy. I tracked her flight and called the airline to determine whether I would pick up at the cargo desk or the baggage claim office. Then I arrived 20 minutes before the plane landed to be sure I was in the right place and get parking (plus I was too excited not to be early:BigSmile:). Keep us posted...

Thank you :) I think she is just gorgeous too and I'm getting a little irritated at certain friends that don't agree. It's so irritating!! some of our friends and family don't really "get it" but they see how excited I am and how much I love her and shut up. I just know at some point I' m gonna snap! (but i'll cover her ears first :)

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Your kitten is Wrinkles half sister.
Tinkerbald is Wrinkles Dam.
Many people said nasty things about Cleo when I got her and now they have sphynxs also.
Ignore what people say.
One day I was at the vet with Cleo and this lady made nasty remarks and shook her head when she saw Cleo.
I was pissed but now I just ignore people like that.
When I saw show most people want to touch a sphynx because they have never touched one.

Back