Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Hello Sphynx Family!

neyris

Lairian
Hi all! My name is Kelli, and this past weekend I had the pleasure of adding a new family member to my household: Migi! He is a 1 year old Sphynx who I adopted from a loving family that is having to move soon and sadly cannot keep all of their cats.

I have had cats nearly all of my life but never this breed. It is a learning curve as I'm doing as much research as I can to make sure that I give him the best quality of life possible. He is a HUGE cuddlebug, pressed up against me whenever he has the chance and has even climbed and perched up on my shoulders a few times. His vet appointment is next Tuesday and he'll be getting a wellness exam and neuter consultation (sorry bud!). I'm so happy to know that there is a forum dedicated to this amazing breed and I'm excited to connect more with the rest of you!

20231001_174959.jpg

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Congratulations…your life has changed forever! We will gladly help you along the way with any questions you might have. This community is full of lots of info you can research. Sphynx Cat Help Center
This link is an area you will find LOTS of info. A few things I will share up front are if you can swing insurance, definitely look into it. Kudos to you in knowing to spay/neuter. Be sure to share with your vet not to use Ketamine in this breed because if there is an underlying heart issue (the breed is unfortunately showing an uptick in it) it can be fatal if it is used. Lastly due to the heart disease we are seeing more of in this breed called HCM…if you can get a echocardiogram to get a baseline it is advised when they are a years of age. Wait….one more thing…don’t forget to bring a poop sample to the wellness exam lol.

Above all…you are going to experience how amazing this breed is. You are truly blessed. Please share your journey with us…and of course LOTS of pics. @neyris

neyris

Lairian
Congratulations…your life has changed forever! We will gladly help you along the way with any questions you might have. This community is full of lots of info you can research. Sphynx Cat Help Center
This link is an area you will find LOTS of info. A few things I will share up front are if you can swing insurance, definitely look into it. Kudos to you in knowing to spay/neuter. Be sure to share with your vet not to use Ketamine in this breed because if there is an underlying heart issue (the breed is unfortunately showing an uptick in it) it can be fatal if it is used. Lastly due to the heart disease we are seeing more of in this breed called HCM…if you can get a echocardiogram to get a baseline it is advised when they are a years of age. Wait….one more thing…don’t forget to bring a poop sample to the wellness exam lol.

Above all…you are going to experience how amazing this breed is. You are truly blessed. Please share your journey with us…and of course LOTS of pics. @neyris

Thank you so much for the warm welcome! I will be sure to remember everything you've said regarding the insurance, getting his heart looked at, bringing a stool sample to his appointment and also reminding the clinic to not use ketamine for his neuter once that is scheduled.

I have some ReNewed branded shampoos, conditioners, and other things on the way so that I can make sure his ears and skin stay clean. The only "odd" thing I've noticed so far is that he's getting some dirt collected on his cheeks, I've been trying my best to keep them clean but they are stubborn stains! Not sure if this is from his food or not but that makes the most sense to me. I will be sure to mention/show this to my vet, and share more pics here as well

Yoda mom

Staff member
@neyris , Hi Kelli ! welcome to the lair family! hugs to all parties involved , happiest adorable Migi Gotcha.! bless you heart to open your heart and home to Migi. He settled in soo nicely. I swear this breed is cat, dog monkey, baby all in one for life.

I have all adoptees. many years ago, I adopted a bonded pair from a couple moving overseas. I joined here over a decade ago. You will find it is truly a down to earth caring knowledgeable bunch. we look forward to lots of pics and tales!
Kudos to you for having vet appt scheduled and echoing catzzzmeow's reply. I have vet mark charts NO Ketamine anesthesia. I discussed and asked my vet what anesthesia they use. mine uses isolflurane or another one that she uses on exotic breeds.
**If Migi is microchipped already you can ask the previous owner to contact the microchip company to transfer ownership and you will be able to add your information contact info.

(If Migi is not microchipped or cannot reach out the previous microchip company, You can ask to have him microchipped during his neuter surgery which is a good time to do it. one of my pups actually does have 2 microchips. one from the breeder and one from me. she later transferred to original chip to me. I had vet scan for both chips and confirmed the companies had my info. often times microchipping does not include the separate microchip life time registration fee , so be sure to check with vet and microchip company I call directly.). One of pets in the past was microchipped that included the registration but when I called and checked, the front desk typo'd my address and phone number. once a year I double check their chips and have them scanned on routine visits. - lol sorry for the long write on the microchip info, wanted to share some of the things I came across with adoptees).

keep us updated and jump in and enjoy this fun friendly bunch. the info center link shared and on top right of main page is a great resource as well as the top right search box for previous thread topics.

hugs n head smooches Team Migi! soo happy hearts aligned. they are sooo velcro!

ps, dirt on face can be from food and or mine gets from rubbing his face on rugs and scratching post, etc. great idea to have vet take a look during his wellness check.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you so much for the warm welcome! I will be sure to remember everything you've said regarding the insurance, getting his heart looked at, bringing a stool sample to his appointment and also reminding the clinic to not use ketamine for his neuter once that is scheduled.

I have some ReNewed branded shampoos, conditioners, and other things on the way so that I can make sure his ears and skin stay clean. The only "odd" thing I've noticed so far is that he's getting some dirt collected on his cheeks, I've been trying my best to keep them clean but they are stubborn stains! Not sure if this is from his food or not but that makes the most sense to me. I will be sure to mention/show this to my vet, and share more pics here as well

If you can share dirt on their cheeks with a pic we might be able to help. These guys keep us on our toes. What material are their food bowls as well? This can also factor into residue on their chins/cheeks. We opted for shallow stainless-steel bowls which has helped with acne. Ceramics and stainless-steel are recommended by most.

nudebea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome Kelli and Migi(he is beautiful!) I can see you've already had some brilliant advice from members of sphynxlair , there are some very experienced people on here and their tips and advice has been so helpful. This breed will certainly take you on a great adventure and although they do require a little more "maintenance", they can reward you ten-fold . Another great tip, which I learned fro S.L, is to rinse them well after bathing to remove soap residue as this seems to help reduce the brown trademarks that some of them leave behind wherever they lay(like white sheets, your arms etc

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Welcome to sphynxlair. Migi is very handsome! And cute too. Cuddle bugs they are and little monkeys too, my girl loves to sit on my shoulder too sometimes. Enjoy all the love you'll get from Migi

neyris

Lairian
Thank you all so much for the very warm welcomes! I will absolutely be asking the vet about microchipping him during his neuter, as his previous family confirmed that he does not have one.

He is very affectionate, I keep calling him velcro kitty! I am still waiting for his shampoo, conditioner, ear cleaner, etc. to arrive in the mail but for now I am using earthbath branded sensitive cat wipes to keep his tail, cheeks/face, and feet clean. I am seeing the brown dirt mostly in those areas, and it doesn't come off super easily. I'm trying to be as gentle with him as I can be! He currently has elevated plastic bowls but I did go ahead and order some shallow stainless steel ones which should be here tomorrow. I appreciate all of your advice and the fact that you've taken the time to comment and help Migi and I.

Here's a photo showing the dirt from yesterday:

20231003_122544.jpg

And a cute one for good measure:

20231001_225639.jpg

Yoda mom

Staff member
@neyris melt my heart. You are a great sphynx mum. I also use shallow stainless dishes . Many of us keep on hand vetericyn plus spray. I like it is non toxic. I keep waterwipes on hand too. He is just a handsome boy!! So glad you joined us
Hugs n head smooches keep us updates often .

Back