Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Help a potential new sphynx owner please

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Greetings,

I received an email from a potential new sphynx owner through Youtube and he was interested in possibly becoming a new owner. I'll reprint his email here. Please comment.

"hi, i spoke to you a while ago about sphynx and you educated me a lot on them.
today i finally went to visit a sphynx i want to buy. they feel so cool and look so neat. i am set on getting it but the only issue i have is this, theyre are 2

1. the cat is 2 years old and i am afraid it won't bond with me the same way it would have if i had it since a kitten.

2. the cat is small, but its only 2 years old, im not sure if its going to grow more or if thats its normal size, it doesnt have a belly gut yet.

can you take a look at the pics and tell me if you think it'll get bigger? also, the owner says you have to bath them once a week or they get dirty and especially their behinds because it will smell like pooh

the dark grey one is the one i want to get: http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-pets-cats-kittens-for-sale-2-Sphynx-cats-male-neutered-vaccinated-750-850-W0QQAdIdZ195898346"

97299mi_19.jpeg

3675d4g_19.jpeg

30311kf_19.jpeg

Oh and anyone who might be interested this little guy is also available
2997acb_19.jpeg

My initial feeling is this:

The cat will bond to you. It may take a few days but the kitty will latch on and never let go. I really don't think that will be a problem.

If the cat is two years old, his growing days are probably over. He should be between 8-12 pounds.

You do have to bathe them. It's different for all kitties but I bathe Butterball once a month. As long as kitty is on a good diet and doesn't have runny stools, then he won't smell like pooh. They do secrete an oil that needs to be cleaned off occasionally. If kitty finds a comfortable place and you don't want that place to be discolored, then yes you probably should bathe him once a week. But my feeling is they are cleaner than dogs.

I would say it sounds pretty good. But the $850 price tag is a little high for a two year old. But, he might be worth it. Try to deal him down a little bit. Maybe $100 bucks.

He should be up to date on shots and clear from any health issues. Ask about an HCM scan too.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Your reply is good.
Most breeders I know sell the the 2 year olds for $500 though.
Have them ask if he is registered also.
If he can not be registered then the price should be less then $500.
A HCM scan is very important.
Tell them the claws need to be cleaned also or they oil up.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Hey did you give them our info for the site????

Greetings,

I received an email from a potential new sphynx owner through Youtube and he was interested in possibly becoming a new owner. I'll reprint his email here. Please comment.

"hi, i spoke to you a while ago about sphynx and you educated me a lot on them.
today i finally went to visit a sphynx i want to buy. they feel so cool and look so neat. i am set on getting it but the only issue i have is this, theyre are 2

1. the cat is 2 years old and i am afraid it won't bond with me the same way it would have if i had it since a kitten.

2. the cat is small, but its only 2 years old, im not sure if its going to grow more or if thats its normal size, it doesnt have a belly gut yet.

can you take a look at the pics and tell me if you think it'll get bigger? also, the owner says you have to bath them once a week or they get dirty and especially their behinds because it will smell like pooh

the dark grey one is the one i want to get: http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-pets-cats-kittens-for-sale-2-Sphynx-cats-male-neutered-vaccinated-750-850-W0QQAdIdZ195898346"

97299mi_19.jpeg

3675d4g_19.jpeg

30311kf_19.jpeg

Oh and anyone who might be interested this little guy is also available
2997acb_19.jpeg

My initial feeling is this:

The cat will bond to you. It may take a few days but the kitty will latch on and never let go. I really don't think that will be a problem.

If the cat is two years old, his growing days are probably over. He should be between 8-12 pounds.

You do have to bathe them. It's different for all kitties but I bathe Butterball once a month. As long as kitty is on a good diet and doesn't have runny stools, then he won't smell like pooh. They do secrete an oil that needs to be cleaned off occasionally. If kitty finds a comfortable place and you don't want that place to be discolored, then yes you probably should bathe him once a week. But my feeling is they are cleaner than dogs.

I would say it sounds pretty good. But the $850 price tag is a little high for a two year old. But, he might be worth it. Try to deal him down a little bit. Maybe $100 bucks.

He should be up to date on shots and clear from any health issues. Ask about an HCM scan too.

Madoff

Lairian
Your reply is good.
Most breeders I know sell the the 2 year olds for $500 though.
Have them ask if he is registered also.
If he can not be registered then the price should be less then $500.
A HCM scan is very important.
Tell them the claws need to be cleaned also or they oil up.

hi, it was actually I who asked him those questions thru youtube

what is a HCM scan and why is it so important to have the registration papers

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hey did you give them our info for the site????

You better believe I did. I'm waiting for him to comment on this post. I recommend the lair to everyone who asks about Butterball. Not to toot my own horn but I think I'm responsible for a dozen or so members.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
He just posted right before you did.
HCM is a heart problem sphynx get.
Cats should be scanned once they are about 1.5 years old.
By having the reg papers you would be able to check the lines of the kittens/cats.

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Im half asleep while reading this so maybe I missed the answer but are these actually retired breeders??
I thought it was just someone getting rid of their sphynx, in which case, I would want to know WHY they are selling the cat/cats. Are they allready neutered?
$850 is definetely too much for an unregistered, mature cat but I would pay $500.
They are very cute cats!

Adventures of A Naked Cat

holly_savage

Banned
Im half asleep while reading this so maybe I missed the answer but are these actually retired breeders??
I thought it was just someone getting rid of their sphynx, in which case, I would want to know WHY they are selling the cat/cats. Are they allready neutered?
$850 is definetely too much for an unregistered, mature cat but I would pay $500.
They are very cute cats!

Adventures of A Naked Cat

I emailed the seller today and he said they are both still available...and I'm with you, $500 is about what I was looking to pay...I emailed him back and asked all those questions, where he got them, registered, why selling...I don't think they were breeders, the ad said they were pets and with a new toddler they couldn't take care of them anymore...:Angry:

But I guess, if they really can't / don't want to care for them anymore, it's better that they find them a new, loving home right?

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I emailed the seller today and he said they are both still available...and I'm with you, $500 is about what I was looking to pay...I emailed him back and asked all those questions, where he got them, registered, why selling...I don't think they were breeders, the ad said they were pets and with a new toddler they couldn't take care of them anymore...:Angry:

But I guess, if they really can't / don't want to care for them anymore, it's better that they find them a new, loving home right?

So, I dont know if Im the only one, but it REALLY BOTHERS ME when cats get rehomed seperately!!! I think its so sad that these two cats have been together for 2 yrs and the owner isnt even SUGGESTING they go to the same home?
I know a good home is most imporatant and most people cant take 2 cats but think of it from the cats point of view.....
They've spent every day and night together for 2 yrs and are about to be seperated from their people, which is scary for them enough, but also seperated from eachother...
I dont think many people consider animal's feelings with regards to seperation...
Dogs can develop severe seperation anxiety which can effect their behavior for years! Just because cats dont "Act out" the same way dogs do, doesnt mean they arent affected by this sort of thing.
Sorry, I hope you all know Im not picking on whoever buys this cat or cats, I just see lots of Sphynx being rehomed which is great, but splitting up sphynx that have been together for more than a year is something I needed to vent about.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
So, I dont know if Im the only one, but it REALLY BOTHERS ME when cats get rehomed seperately!!! I think its so sad that these two cats have been together for 2 yrs and the owner isnt even SUGGESTING they go to the same home?
I know a good home is most imporatant and most people cant take 2 cats but think of it from the cats point of view.....
They've spent every day and night together for 2 yrs and are about to be seperated from their people, which is scary for them enough, but also seperated from eachother...
I dont think many people consider animal's feelings with regards to seperation...
Dogs can develop severe seperation anxiety which can effect their behavior for years! Just because cats dont "Act out" the same way dogs do, doesnt mean they arent affected by this sort of thing.
Sorry, I hope you all know Im not picking on whoever buys this cat or cats, I just see lots of Sphynx being rehomed which is great, but splitting up sphynx that have been together for more than a year is something I needed to vent about.

I know what you mean and feel the same way. As a buyer I would feel obligated to take them both just so they wouldnt be apart.

Back