Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Help! Am at my IBS wit's end and do not know what to do anymore.

Laura

Lairian
Hi all and thank you for letting me post here. My beloved Sphynx, Harold, is almost 6 years old now, and he's owned me since he was a baby.
Harold has had IBS since he was about 1 years old. It was never terribly severe until the last few months.
One bout a few years ago was so severe he was hospitalized for several days until he could be stabilized. As time went on, these episodes became more and more frequent.
In November he had another one, and the vet decided to do surgery since he threw up a piece of ribbon and they were worried there was more in there. He had stopped eating again and was vomiting several times a day. They didn't find anything, but of course his bowels were inflamed. I think it was another episode and am so guilty he had to go through such an invasive surgery for nothing.
Since then it has become much worse. He even vomits blood sometimes. I feel like I've earned a Doctorate in studying IBS online. I have tried every diet and supplement out there. At best, one will work for a few weeks before the cycle starts all over again. We have done grain-free, raw diet, prescription diet, pumpkin, slippery elm, limited diet, bone free raw, no dry food, specialized dry food. Handmade cat food diets, Pepcid, Prednisone. I would estimate that he has been to at least 7 different vets.
The vet bills have reached into the thousands and the food bill is astronomical. I have happily spent all my money trying to get him healthy, I can't take his suffering anymore. I am literally in tears, feeling like I've failed him miserably. I find myself considering giving him up in hopes someone else can help him since I obviously have failed, and that thought is like giving up a child, I can't even imagine it. But he can not suffer like this anymore.
Harold is the love of my life, and has the sweetest, most loving personality ever. I do not know what to do.

Anita Eccleston

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Laura

Hi there oh love your post as me heartbroken !!
Now I can only ever be one way ! And have to say it as I see it !
So I apologise in advance !!
How on earth can you think you have failed him ?
7 vets which = thousands of $
All the foods you’ve tried !
The love and care you have fished out freely to him !
How on earth could you think that way ? It’s silly ! Your upset and feeling down probably at your whits end !
But your in this for the long all !!
Just imagine how empty your life would be if you gave him so somebody else !
Imagine his IBS then wondering where his loving loyal devoted mum as gone !!!
Love I can totally understand how you feeling but mine is because of other issues
But you need that little man as much as he needs you !!
Now if I was there I would now give you a massive hug !
And I’d make us a pot of tea ! ( only Yorkshire tea would do )
There is nothing in this world that sorts out problems like a good cuppa tea and a massive hug !!
I feel it’s great you’ve come here to have your little rant . Because every member will have empathy for you in your situation
Some of our more knowledgable members will join in and may have some advice
But more than that we are here to help build you back up , no one except a sphynx lover could understand
Most people are pet lovers
But we are totally owned by our little ones it’s like they are one of our children ( I should speak for myself and say I instead of we ! But I know we all have similar feelings towards our babies )
So by now you’ve had that hug you’ve had a cuppa tea and I know your looking at it all with fresh eyes ( I really really hope you are if your ever down give us a pm )
Massive hugs
Anita & Cleo xxx❤️❤️❤️

A pot of tea could sort world problems lol xx

Lucifers Mom

Lairian
@Laura I agree with @Anita Eccleston. You have not failed your boy in any way, shape or form. IBS is an issue that's incredibly hard to treat and control and you are doing your best and giving it your all. I don't really have any advice for you, but like Anita said, we're all here to support you and I'll chime in with the PM thing. If you need a rant or a chat or something.

Sending hugs and loves to you and your boy.

Laura

Lairian
Hi all and thank you for letting me post here. My beloved Sphynx, Harold, is almost 6 years old now, and he's owned me since he was a baby.
Harold has had IBS since he was about 1 years old. It was never terribly severe until the last few months.
One bout a few years ago was so severe he was hospitalized for several days until he could be stabilized. As time went on, these episodes became more and more frequent.
In November he had another one, and the vet decided to do surgery since he threw up a piece of ribbon and they were worried there was more in there. He had stopped eating again and was vomiting several times a day. They didn't find anything, but of course his bowels were inflamed. I think it was another episode and am so guilty he had to go through such an invasive surgery for nothing.
Since then it has become much worse. He even vomits blood sometimes. I feel like I've earned a Doctorate in studying IBS online. I have tried every diet and supplement out there. At best, one will work for a few weeks before the cycle starts all over again. We have done grain-free, raw diet, prescription diet, pumpkin, slippery elm, limited diet, bone free raw, no dry food, specialized dry food. Handmade cat food diets, Pepcid, Prednisone. I would estimate that he has been to at least 7 different vets.
The vet bills have reached into the thousands and the food bill is astronomical. I have happily spent all my money trying to get him healthy, I can't take his suffering anymore. I am literally in tears, feeling like I've failed him miserably. I find myself considering giving him up in hopes someone else can help him since I obviously have failed, and that thought is like giving up a child, I can't even imagine it. But he can not suffer like this anymore.
Harold is the love of my life, and has the sweetest, most loving personality ever. I do not know what to do.

@Laura

Hi there oh love your post as me heartbroken !!
Now I can only ever be one way ! And have to say it as I see it !
So I apologise in advance !!
How on earth can you think you have failed him ?
7 vets which = thousands of $
All the foods you’ve tried !
The love and care you have fished out freely to him !
How on earth could you think that way ? It’s silly ! Your upset and feeling down probably at your whits end !
But your in this for the long all !!
Just imagine how empty your life would be if you gave him so somebody else !
Imagine his IBS then wondering where his loving loyal devoted mum as gone !!!
Love I can totally understand how you feeling but mine is because of other issues
But you need that little man as much as he needs you !!
Now if I was there I would now give you a massive hug !
And I’d make us a pot of tea ! ( only Yorkshire tea would do )
There is nothing in this world that sorts out problems like a good cuppa tea and a massive hug !!
I feel it’s great you’ve come here to have your little rant . Because every member will have empathy for you in your situation
Some of our more knowledgable members will join in and may have some advice
But more than that we are here to help build you back up , no one except a sphynx lover could understand
Most people are pet lovers
But we are totally owned by our little ones it’s like they are one of our children ( I should speak for myself and say I instead of we ! But I know we all have similar feelings towards our babies )
So by now you’ve had that hug you’ve had a cuppa tea and I know your looking at it all with fresh eyes ( I really really hope you are if your ever down give us a pm )
Massive hugs
Anita & Cleo xxx❤️❤️❤️

A pot of tea could sort world problems lol xx

Ah so sweet! It helps just to have someone listen. Thank you!

Laura

Lairian
@Laura I agree with @Anita Eccleston. You have not failed your boy in any way, shape or form. IBS is an issue that's incredibly hard to treat and control and you are doing your best and giving it your all. I don't really have any advice for you, but like Anita said, we're all here to support you and I'll chime in with the PM thing. If you need a rant or a chat or something.

Sending hugs and loves to you and your boy.

Thank you so much for your support! It is so kind of you!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Laura , big (((hugs)) to you amd head smooches to Harold - love your avatar pic !

We are here for you amd Harold! Your love for Harold leaps off the page!

I have an adoptee Bengal with IBS - I was not told about her condition.
I was wondering to myself.. hmmm .. Why a gal who works at a vets office couldn't find anyone there or network to adopt this gorgeous girl . Now I know why ..
I was at wits end -- I swear I could open my own store aisle of cat food for all the ones we tried and failed or she refused to eat.

I got a care credit card to prep for vet bills amd tests -
At least 7 vets for sweet Harold - oh my - (((hugs)))) to you
OMG I can't even imagine !

I started feeding her Fromm Game bird recipe that I read had good reviews for IBS kitties -

(I read till I was exhausted - and the vets always offered up the things you probably were told too..
Wow - 7 vets! )

Fromm game bird recipe - fed small periods a few times a day - worked well for a long time - yippie!
Then Fromm pulled out from Chewy and it was not available at my local store .
I wanted to sit down and cry

i ordered Fromm Gamr Bird recipe (avialable at k9cuisine.com)
but for the heck of it - I decided to try feeding her what my sphynx do great on with no vomiting , no poo or skin issues -

** Nutrisource cat and kitten in the blue bag
It has no recalls and is actually grain inclusive

It's been 6 months so I think We have happily passed the typical 12 week food trial period -

She is doing great on the Nutrisource cat and kitten kibble
I order at k9cuisine.com
There is a store locator available

She actually does better on the Nutrisource and likes it better than Fromm
Even her coat has become sooo soft and shiny

This has been the first time ever I can relax knowing we Finally found a food that gave her relief -

You have all our thoughts and Positve vibes for Harold!
We are here for you !

For the heck of it have you contacted a local vet university ? They may have programs available

Again, your loooooove for Harold leaps off the page - he is blessed to be your baby
I know he returns that love to you ten fold

With my girl, I took a long shot on the Nutriosurce amd absolutely no treats or snacks
Amd I have seen a word of difference

No , Nutrisource , is not grain free ,not well known by most , but it has no recalls ..and it has worked amazing for my IBS kitty
Cat & Kitten Chicken Meal, Salmon & Liver Cat Food - NutriSource Pet Foods

My new kitty food philosphy started last year to keep it simple amd see how it goes

I actually got turned on to the brand by a show dog breeder I adopted from .

Just wanted to share , amd let you know you are in the best of company here on the lair with lots of support !

PM me Anytime !
Amd extra smooches to Harold!

Keep us updated!
((Hugs))

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    33 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@Laura What a wonderful sphynx mommy you are to Harold! You're doing everything you can. Hope the advice given here by others will help you. I don't have experience wirh it but wanted to chime in to sent you hugs.

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
We have experience with IBD - is it IBS or IBD? Have you guys done any probiotics (not counting fortiflora, its not great)? There is some experimental trials happening with poo pills now - yes, fecal pills to transplant the good bacteria. People are reporting good results. They do a similar thing for humans with stomach issues. Anyways, join this facebook group: Raw Feeding for IBD Cats. If anyone can help Harold, it will be these women. They know Every. Single. Thing. about cats' digestion and gut issues. Feel free to message me if you need!

Back