Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

help - blood in grims stool

sphynxjinx

Lairian
hey lairians i’m posting here to see if anyone had a similar experience / knowledge about this.

grim is turning 5 this month and has had mostly regular bowel movements his whole life. he has been on purina vet brand gastrointestinal food for over a year and it’s been going well. a few weeks ago i began to notice red bloody mucous at the end of his stool, and brought him to the vet for a check up. they recommended we feed him the wet version of the gastro food along with some fortiflora. i began to notice some improvement and then a week later it’s been back and there’s bright red streaks in his stool. i’ve noticed blood on his anus and there were even drops of fresh blood on the floor outside the litter box. he’s not having diarrhea, the stool is very normal looking aside from having blood on it. im kinda freaking out. i am taking him to the vet this week but im wondering if anyone can soothe my anxiety or share a similar experience.

also - what should we test for first? what is most important? i am in a very tight financial situation and cant afford numerous tests and check ups, so if anyone knows what to prioritize in terms of tests please share ! thank you so much

Attachments

• 02544644-D305-41A2-B1D9-EEF70B941606.jpeg
    02544644-D305-41A2-B1D9-EEF70B941606.jpeg
    283 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1426.png
    IMG_1426.png
    804 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1420.png
    IMG_1420.png
    750.4 KB · Views: 3

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Bright red blood usually means there is irritation at the lower/end of their gastrointestinal tract. Your vet will probably talk to you about food again. You might try adding a spoonful of canned pumpkin to their wet food. Not pumpkin pie filling, just pure pumpkin. This can help the gut like probiotics do especially if the blood is caused by constipation .

fd668aebd1fc4136589c05315c9c3b08.jpg

sphynxjinx

Lairian
Bright red blood usually means there is irritation at the lower/end of their gastrointestinal tract. Your vet will probably talk to you about food again. You might try adding a spoonful of canned pumpkin to their wet food. Not pumpkin pie filling, just pure pumpkin. This can help the gut like probiotics do especially if the blood is caused by constipation .

fd668aebd1fc4136589c05315c9c3b08.jpg
thank you so much i will be trying this

Back