Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Help.... Chub rub

curlysue

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
So as you all know Violet has done amazing on her weight loss journey..... Now I have a issue with what I would call "chub rub" however it's mostly extra skin in her case. She has had moist dermatitis (basically a hot spot) all her life and she will have flare ups about every couple months. This past week (I think due to the weather change and all the pollen) it has been a bad flare up. We are using Tritop ointment that was send with her when she came to live with us (they sent 5 tubes from the vet). The Tritop clears it up pretty quick however the fold of skin on her tummy stays moist and ooze. This maybe TMI but it's like boob sweat (ya know). Anyway when she was fluffier the skin didn't fold on its self so when the flare ups happened it wasn't to bad. She got the cone of shame yesterday and was not happy at all but it is the only way I can brake the cycle of her licking it.

So my question or any input is what do you think I can do to help with the folding skin (short of a tummy tuck). Poor baby needs a body life due to all the extra skin everywhere (tommy, elbows, neck & face). I went to the natural food store and got a natural drop (you put in her food) that they said they can't keep on the shelf for cat and dog hot spots. I am going to keep the cone on her and try diaper rash crème once the red spot goes away. This usually take two days once I start the Tritop and I am on day two now (it looked 80% better this morning). I thought attaching pics but didn't want to freak anyone out because it looks so bad when it flares up.

andreanar

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Is there anything on the market you can use to keep the area dry? Monkey Butt powder, or an antipersperant maybe? They sell something at sporting stores that athletes use for preventing friction rub rashes.

curlysue

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Is there anything on the market you can use to keep the area dry? Monkey Butt powder, or an antipersperant maybe? They sell something at sporting stores that athletes use for preventing friction rub rashes.

Good idea! I was thinking Gold Bond as well. Would hope I could find something that I could use long term so she wouldn't have to wear a cone of shame when it flared up.

andreanar

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
If you keep some thing on it all the time to reduce friction and moisture, she should avoid flare ups. But finding something that would be ok if she licked it is the issue. Hmm

Yoda mom

Staff member
00h. I know about hot spots on Dogs .. and what has worked here after numerous ointments etc from vet..

Anti monkey butt powder and vetericyn wound spray

I wash the area (on fur DOGS ) with two sparingly drops of Providone (that red stuff- not sure on nekkeds)in a big bowl of cool water. ****May just use without the red stuff on Sphynx! ***

I soak a wash cloth and ring out, I wipe the area with the cloth and dry well.
I put some anti monkey butt powder on a dry face cloth and lightly pat the area and wipe off..
During the day I wipe the area with a spritz of vetericyn and dry

They sell vetericyn at feed supply stores and some pet stores on sale for $18.. It is probably saline! :) but it works for all kinds of nicks and scrapes

After the wash dry monkey butt vetericyn it clears right up..
No more vet visits or ointments

I am waiting for Toby neuter belly to chafe and I will let you know about the Providone wash on him! Hope he doesn't turn red! I use so little it mixes clear right away!

curlysue

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Yoda mom I am so going to the store after work and getting anti monkey butt, vetericyn and Providone. I am just trying to avoid the stress of taking her back to the vet for the same thing she has had forever when stress makes it seem to flare up more. She dose not like the Tritop ointment I am not sure if it burns or something but she always fights. I am willing to try anything to help her feel conferrable. It is bad enough that she has all this extra skin flapping around when she runs or jumps. I know this sounds silly but if she were younger I would look into a tummy tuck for sure but at 12yrs old I think it's a option. LOL

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@Yoda mom Veterycin was a great suggestion. I swear by it, and no worries if they lick it. It is great on many skin issues. Also wondering if she sweats due to the blankets. If you use cotton rather than fleece or synthetic, she might not sweat as much with a natural fiber.

patti

curlysue

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Yoda mom Veterycin was a great suggestion. I swear by it, and no worries if they lick it. It is great on many skin issues. Also wondering if she sweats due to the blankets. If you use cotton rather than fleece or synthetic, she might not sweat as much with a natural fiber.

patti

I did think about the blankets and I took some of them away and we aren't using the electric blanket because it's much warmer. She is a blanket whore and when you take her out of the pile of blankets she is cooking. It's is such a hard call because she always seems cold natured and with her age I like to give her what she likes. I have to admit I feel a bit guilty as well because she has lost all her chub sense she has been with me. I know it is better for her health wise but not sure it the skin issue is making her miserable now. I know 6 of one half dozen of another. This is the typical guilt of a mommy!! LOL

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Is there any way that a thin cotton shirt or body stocking or something on her may help? To prevent the skin from making contact and rubbing?

Yoda mom

Staff member
The vetericyn goes on sale sometimes at our local Pet supplies +
I get the big bottle and it has lasted for me and the furkids!

SometimesI wonder if the vetericyn is like the very diluted sea salt spray I would make to put on piercings :)
When my ears get sore reaction to gold posts.

All I know vetericyn works and worth the $20 in gold not gong to the vet for every hot spot..

***I would definitely read the fine print on the anti monkey butt powder.. I have never used on kitty just the dogs** probably not good if the kitty goes to lick it..

I would try the vetericyn on kitty .. The anti monkey butt is great for people summer chafing bike riding and beach time

Yoda mom

Staff member
Curlysue- **Sigh:( the anti monkey butt powder may contain talc which I would skip for kitty..
Looks like powders are no good for kitties.. I will stick to using it on me

*** I would stick with the vetericyn only*****Keep us posted!

Dallassummer

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
As a person who battles dermatitis year round on my eyes and back. I have tried everything. I even get it on my butt, so that's kinda like your skin fold problem (I'll be TMI too). I have found what works wonders is this prescription I got called Triamcinolone Acetonide Cream .1%. I have had raw eyes for three months straight and when I found this stuff it cleared it up in 2 days, even on my butt. It is basically Hydrocortisone Cream 2.5%. The 1% store bought works well too, just wasn't strong enough because I have a severe case of it. I suggest that, steroid creams are really the only thing that clear up dermatitis.

Yoda mom

Staff member
dallassummer- we call that TrIam prescription cream you are referring to "nuclear cream" in our house! :)
It is amazing for people..

curlysue

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Yoda mom , I am going to pick up the vetericyn tomorrow. As far as the Anti monkey butt I would have to use in on Violet with the cone and making sure I am home. I want to take baby steps and try one thing at a time for a few weeks to really rule something out.

@Dallassummer I will put the Triamcinolone Acetonide on my short list and contact the vet for a RX. Thank you!! FYI Thank you for sharing the TMI I am always sharing TMI. LOL

@MollysMom I am going to try a thin t shirt to see if that helps. Thank you!!

@Catzzzmeow I took away the fleece blanket she loves and gave her the blanket she had as a kitten (she came with) It's cotton and a little heaver.

So I came home and the bright red on Violets tummy had mostly gone away, just a hint of pink. The Tritop works fast thank goodness.

Thank you all for the great thoughts and posts about Violet.

Back