Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Help! Digestive issues

TeamLuna

Lairian
Hi there!
I have two male neuterd sphynxs. They’re 6 years old and have been fairly healthy. My only problem is the vomiting ! (I ironically work at an animal hospital - however , no one has worked with this breed and I’m not getting anywhere). I have them on prescription Purina EN gastronintestinal. It has helped , but it still happens. If I take them off this food, they will projectile vomit. Sometimes it’s undigested food, sometimes it’s more
Bile. I would ideally like to switch to a raw balanced diet but they have absolute no interest. I’m at a loss and I really want my cats better. This has been going on for a few years and I’m ready for them to feel better already.

Any advice would be so appreciated

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi there!
I have two male neuterd sphynxs. They’re 6 years old and have been fairly healthy. My only problem is the vomiting ! (I ironically work at an animal hospital - however , no one has worked with this breed and I’m not getting anywhere). I have them on prescription Purina EN gastronintestinal. It has helped , but it still happens. If I take them off this food, they will projectile vomit. Sometimes it’s undigested food, sometimes it’s more
Bile. I would ideally like to switch to a raw balanced diet but they have absolute no interest. I’m at a loss and I really want my cats better. This has been going on for a few years and I’m ready for them to feel better already.

Any advice would be so appreciated
Hi, are they eating too fast? I have seen this with many cats over the years, try using a slow feeder, hope you figure it out. :)

Unknown.jpeg
71WmVxFwAML._SY355_.jpg

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Sorry to hear your dealing with this issue. Is it possible they eat too much at once? If so you could try giving them several small portion during day (with a timelock feeder). Or maybe they eat too fast? Then you could try the slow feeder as suggested by @admin

TeamLuna

Lairian
Thank you everyone for your thoughts ! ♥️

I should mention that I do not free feed.
I measure small 1/4 cup food and feed them twice a day. I don’t think I could try the slow feeders. If I use plastic, they will get sooo many blackheads in there little chins. Plus, I don’t think them eating too fast is the problem. Im thinking it’s good having too many carbs in them. That’s why if I switch to a different food they projectile vomit.

Yoda mom

Staff member
I have good results with my kitty that vomits feeding kibble In a small shallow feeding Eco oval bamboo dish I put on top of the small raised feeding dish

I found the shallow dishes raised up work better for her for some reason

She is holding down Nutrisource cat and kitten formula in the blue bag .
I feed her several small meals like you do

What was the diagnosis ?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    5.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

TeamLuna

Lairian
I s
I have good results with my kitty that vomits feeding kibble In a small shallow feeding Eco oval bamboo dish I put on top of the small raised feeding dish

I found the shallow dishes raised up work better for her for some reason

She is holding down Nutrisource cat and kitten formula in the blue bag .
I feed her several small meals like you do

What was the diagnosis ?
i actually do exactly that. Raised stainless steel bowls and I feed twice a day. The diagnosis is TBD. I’m on a trial diet currently and it’s coming down to 1)too many carbs in the food or 2) digestive issues which would mean I need to get an ultra sound. I’m on day three of the new diet and my chronic vomited isn’t vomited yet, and he is less bloated ! So my guess so far is he can not tolerate carbs

Back