Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

HELP! Dry stained skin

Kristen G

Lairian
IMG_3137.JPG
IMG_3142.JPG
IMG_3143.JPG
im really worried about jax's skin. Since yesterday its been extremely dry almost like raw under his neck and pits and stained brown. It wont come off with soap or wipes. The night before this happened we gave him a bath and used exfoliating gloves and hylyt. Maybe my hubby scrubbed too hard with the gloves? I just want his skin to get better. Has this happened to anyone? I feel so bad. Pics attached

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
This should peel off in a couple of days. It usual happens when a cat is not fully rinsed. By the next day they look very grimy and turn brownish/orange. Have seen it mostly under the armpits and chest/neck and belly. The hardest areas to fully rinse and many rush finding the hard to get to areas.Use wipes until the next bath and rule is when fully rinsed off, rinse again. @Kristin

Keep us updated. If something turns worse get them check, but we have seen this happen several times, so don't freak.

Kristen G

Lairian
This should peel off in a couple of days. It usual happens when a cat is not fully rinsed. By the next day they look very grimy and turn brownish/orange. Have seen it mostly under the armpits and chest/neck and belly. The hardest areas to fully rinse and many rush finding the hard to get to areas.Use wipes until the next bath and rule is when fully rinsed off, rinse again. @Kristin

Keep us updated. If something turns worse get them check, but we have seen this happen several times, so don't freak.
ok, thanks so much, im so relieved that its something you have seen before and its not completely abnormal. do you also rinse after using wipes too? because first i was using earth bath wipes but felt they werent moist enough so switched to Wahl dog n cat wipes from target and they are much wetter and clean the skin quicker but they do have a sudsy residue on the skin. Also, when you bathe them, do you use the exfoliating gloves, sponge, rag, or just your bare hands? im worried that the gloves might be too harsh. lastly, do think the hylyt is ok or would you stick to baby shampoo? my vet recommended aveeno oatmeal wash. Sorry for so many questions. i appreciate all your feedback!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
You will find everyone has a very specific routine around bathing...here is a poll that was taken so you can see what most use. What product do you bathe your sphynx with?

I personally use Pure Pet D Grease. A little bit goes a long way and you have to rinse VERY well.
53a7653678c35ccd83f0a49c44ce28e4.jpg
Many have had great success with the one you are using.

I do use exfoliating gloves. It was actually one of the best tips I ever got in here lol. I use Huggies baby wipes. Fragrance free/alcohol free etc. I do not wipe mine down every day. I use it mostly around the eyes and neck if I can't stand the grime lol. Mine do not have a sudsy residual substance like you speak of @Kristen G

Patti

Kristen G

Lairian
You will find everyone has a very specific routine around bathing...here is a poll that was taken so you can see what most use. What product do you bathe your sphynx with?

I personally use Pure Pet D Grease. A little bit goes a long way and you have to rinse VERY well.

I do use exfoliating gloves. It was actually one of the best tips I ever got in here lol. I use Huggies baby wipes. Fragrance free/alcohol free etc. I do not wipe mine down every day. I use it mostly around the eyes and neck if I can't stand the grime lol. Mine do not have a sudsy residual substance like you speak of @Kristen G

Patti
I actually ordered and recvd the D'Grease from Amazon because along with the Hylyt, i saw great reviews on the D'Grease but i have not actually used it yet. once his skin resolves, i will try it out. i feel like the exfoliating gloves are harsh feeling but you and so many others use them and have positive feedback so they cant be bad. i'll probably go back to the earth bath wipes since they werent sudsy or if i use the target ones i have to wipe with water after. Do you moisturize your baby's skin with anything after bath?

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@Kristin g no, I have never had to moisturizer my crew. Once I found a product/routine that worked for all of mine I just stuck with it. Some cats don't need weekly baths others do. You will figure it all out soon enough. :)

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Kristen G
HyLyt Shampoo is great shampoo.
I use baby wash cloths. Have a big cup handy
and rinse and rinse.
Don't use baby shampoo. The PH level in human
shampoos are different than animal shampoo.
Plus HyLyt Shampoo is Hypoallergenic.
I use a warm wet wash cloth to wash down between baths.
I find it's a lot better.

Kristen G

Lairian
@Kristen G
HyLyt Shampoo is great shampoo.
I use baby wash cloths. Have a big cup handy
and rinse and rinse.
Don't use baby shampoo. The PH level in human
shampoos are different than animal shampoo.
Plus HyLyt Shampoo is Hypoallergenic.
I use a warm wet wash cloth to wash down between baths.
I find it's a lot better.
Thanks for the advice :) do you know if its safe if hylyt gets in the eyes like how baby shampoo is safe?

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Kristen G , I use Hylt shampoo and little dgrease too

I definitely love using the exfoliating gloves

I squirt the Hylyt shampoo onto the wet gloves and gently wash

I use baby face clothes too- my favs are the carter brand
I use a baby face cloth dipped in a separate cup of water a teenie drop of Hylyt , wrung out then wipe faces avoiding eyes

Kristen G

Lairian
@Kristen G , I use Hylt shampoo and little dgrease too

I definitely love using the exfoliating gloves

I squirt the Hylyt shampoo onto the wet gloves and gently wash

I use baby face clothes too- my favs are the carter brand
I use a baby face cloth dipped in a separate cup of water a teenie drop of Hylyt , wrung out then wipe faces avoiding eyes
Thanks for the input. i am going to stick with the HyLyt and will pick up some baby wash cloths :)

Kristen G

Lairian

Jax did start peeling last night. i am so glad you warned me that that would happen so there were no surprises. its still peeling and he should be all better soon :)

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@Kristen G you are welcome for the warning. Always nice to know what to expect and it is quite alarming to see the peeling. I feel confident it was not the exfoliating gloves and just a rushed rinse lol. Glad you reached out and avoided a vet visit. I bet they would be baffled unless they have a Sphynx. Who would think not rinsing causes such a mess in 24 hours or less lol?! Also about rinsing, some cats tolerate the tub water running while they are in it (thankfully all of mine are not spooked by the noise) so I can rinse easily. Others need to put a bucket of fresh rinsing water near the tub to use to insure they rinse clean because the noise of the running water can scare many and make bathing a chore.

Gray

Lairian

Patti

Hi there! You said you use exfoliating gloves? is the a certain brand that is okay to use? My girl is extra dirty and I want to get her clean, but I'm worried about hurting her skin. Maybe I'm just being a worry wort but I don't want to accidentally hurt her.

Thank you in advance! <3

Kristen G

Lairian
Hi there! You said you use exfoliating gloves? is the a certain brand that is okay to use? My girl is extra dirty and I want to get her clean, but I'm worried about hurting her skin. Maybe I'm just being a worry wort but I don't want to accidentally hurt her.

Thank you in advance! <3

Hi i was using basic exfoliating gloves from amazon but i dont anymore. My vet told me to just use my hands when washing him since theyre skin is so delicate. So i use my hands and aveeno baby wash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Kristen G , I use exfoliating gloves on my 4 along with Hylyt shampoo that rinses easy and is soap free hypoallergenic (sold at my vet and online)
I first started with Aveeno baby wash too .
I made the switch to Hylyt . Now my moms friend has me order her some Hylt thru chewy too lol

I get the pair of people exfoliating gloves for $2 at biglots
I wash the exfoliating gloves first in the regular laundry (no fabric softener or dryer sheets )

Have not had any skin issues - the gloves help hold slippery wiggly kitties here :)

Back