Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Help figuring out what to do next

WildWonder

Lairian
Hi all,

I am refraining from introducing my cat or myself because I am very nervous about backlash. I have a little sphynx who I know to have a disease that they contracted from the cattery, and since then my vet has been telling me about (now 6) cases of sphynxes from the same breeder with the same very painful condition. I tried to address the breeder head on and it went very poorly, and she was very reactive. I have seen other people online attempt to speak out about her breeding practices after digging around, and all have noted that she becomes very verbally aggressive and publicly reviews their local businesses poorly/generally goes after them online. I feel angry with myself for not finding this before bringing my little one home, though I wouldn't change them for the world. I am wondering what I should do next, I feel very very upset that this cattery is continuing to operate this way and put so many young cats through what I have watched be a painful and stressful process for the cats and a financially draining one for the owners. Does anyone have any idea what I could do?

Thank you all

WildWonder

Lairian
Hi all,

I am refraining from introducing my cat or myself because I am very nervous about backlash. I have a little sphynx who I know to have a disease that they contracted from the cattery, and since then my vet has been telling me about (now 6) cases of sphynxes from the same breeder with the same very painful condition. I tried to address the breeder head on and it went very poorly, and she was very reactive. I have seen other people online attempt to speak out about her breeding practices after digging around, and all have noted that she becomes very verbally aggressive and publicly reviews their local businesses poorly/generally goes after them online. I feel angry with myself for not finding this before bringing my little one home, though I wouldn't change them for the world. I am wondering what I should do next, I feel very very upset that this cattery is continuing to operate this way and put so many young cats through what I have watched be a painful and stressful process for the cats and a financially draining one for the owners. Does anyone have any idea what I could do?

Thank you all
what I will say is I am in Massachusetts, and I have a Peterbald. I don't know if that rings bells for anyone or gives it away, but that's as specific as I can be without identifying myself.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
No worries here. This community is supportive and backlash is not permitted. Feel free to share what health/disease and many will try to give hands on experience. You love your baby and that is all they know and is all that matters to your baby. Many social media sites are way too catty. @WildWonder feel free to open up and feel safe in this community.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, bells ring but that doesn’t matter here...just let us know the support you need and you got it. Feel free to PM me if you want more anonymity...as breeder names are not allowed in public areas...but love and support are!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sheldon13

Staff member
Any hostility towards a member is quickly quashed by the excellent mods here. Feel free to be candid. I hope we can provide the support and answers you need.

I have never done it before so I do not know the details, but I know there are methods of reporting these things to the authorities with the goal of shutting the breeder down so they can’t continue to breed unhealthy animals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@WildWonder Welcome to sphynxlair. We're a friendly group of people here. Sorry to hear you have such a negative experience and deadling with health issued with you Peterbald. Hope you want to introduce him/her to us. Sharing his/her story can hopefully help ease your mind a bit. Know that your Peterbald knows nothing but your love!

Roki

Lairian
Here’s a link to the USDA’s page where you can file an official complaint, which means an inspection MUST be done and any findings will be part of the breeder’s permanent record.

I think people get into situations like yours and aren’t sure how to go about bringing someone’s attention to it. THIS is one way to put an end to situations where adequate care is not provided to these animals.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@WildWonder welcome to the lair family.. sending hugs n positive vibes for your baby ..
Please know this is a down to earth bunch .we all come together for the love of nakids.
I bet your baby is precious... I hope in time in your comfort level you will jump in and share pics of your baby...
My first Sphynx came from a bad breeder who had sold sick kitties to many :( and then ghosted I am sure opening back up business under another name.

My Yoda girls only knew my love... and I wanted to share our journey with others.
I found this community the most accepting, non judgmental helpful supportive bunch....

I was nervous at first when I first joined with her. I was afraid of judgement etc..
what I found was the most caring kind understanding souls here..

feel free to PM me pics of your sweetie :)

We are all here for you!

Hugs n head smooches

Back