Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

help finding a reputable breeder?

bscott

Lairian
hi, i'm super new to the site, but i've been looking for a sphynx kitten for about 2 months now... i've always wanted one, but my fiance and i have just settled into our house, and so i think now is a great time to start our little family with a baby sphynx!

i realized very quickly that sphynxs on petfinder get snatched up VERY quickly ( because my first choice would always be to adopt one who needs a home)

so i started looking at breeder website, and realized there are waiting lists, and the cats go for about $1500 a peice... does anyone know of a reputable breeder in or near North Carolina that would have kittens for between $800 and $1000?

any help would be appreciated, because i'm scared i might get scammed :(

thank you so much!

Monchchichi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
hi, i'm super new to the site, but i've been looking for a sphynx kitten for about 2 months now... i've always wanted one, but my fiance and i have just settled into our house, and so i think now is a great time to start our little family with a baby sphynx!

i realized very quickly that sphynxs on petfinder get snatched up VERY quickly ( because my first choice would always be to adopt one who needs a home)

so i started looking at breeder website, and realized there are waiting lists, and the cats go for about $1500 a peice... does anyone know of a reputable breeder in or near North Carolina that would have kittens for between $800 and $1000?

thank you so much!

In my opinion , and i'm not trying to say this rudely at all. But if you can't afford the price of a Sphynx kitten then you may want to rethink getting one. They are high maintenance cats and require more attention than your average cat. The cost of feeding can get expensive on it's own as well as the proper care for them vet wise etc.

susi794

Staff member
In my opinion , and i'm not trying to say this rudely at all. But if you can't afford the price of a Sphynx kitten then you may want to rethink getting one. They are high maintenance cats and require more attention than your average cat. The cost of feeding can get expensive on it's own as well as the proper care for them vet wise etc.

C'mon.....most of us aren't made of money, and I have seen plenty of times I couldn't afford breeder prices, but that didn't rule me out as a great sphynx parent. Once you own one, you do what you have to do....but coming up with the initial outlay of money can sometimes be cost restrictive to a lot of good folks. Vet bills can get expensive for sure.....so if you can afford pet insurance, it's a good idea to take advantage of that. I know you are just trying to make sure people can care for and are aware of the costs involved in being owned by a sphynx. But if we have to be rich to own one--uh-oh! I'll have to get rid of the 11 I still own.

Monchchichi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
C'mon.....most of us aren't made of money, and I have seen plenty of times I couldn't afford breeder prices, but that didn't rule me out as a great sphynx parent. Once you own one, you do what you have to do....but coming up with the initial outlay of money can sometimes be cost restrictive to a lot of good folks. Vet bills can get expensive for sure.....so if you can afford pet insurance, it's a good idea to take advantage of that. I know you are just trying to make sure people can care for and are aware of the costs involved in being owned by a sphynx. But if we have to be rich to own one--uh-oh! I'll have to get rid of the 11 I still own.

Like I said in my post I wasn't saying it to be rude. I know everyone is not made of money, myself included. But I like to think of the kittens that are in the position where their family can't provide what is needed. The kittens then generally suffer from ailments the owners can not afford or they are turned into the SPCA or given up for adoption. I hate to see animals having to be rehomed because of these reasons. If we are all aware ahead of time before purchasing our little ones than we can eliminate these kinds of things. Reputable breeders I have spoken too have even said that if you cant afford the pet price or breeding price then maybe the breed isnt suited for you. These animals deserve to thrive. And the breed needs to be protected. I have insurance on all my animals and definitely recommend it.

Fester

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
There is a significant difference between an initial outlay and ongoing expenses...
for example, I could easily afford to get another sphynx kitten or two right now(and don't think it's not tempting :BigSmile:), but I wouldn't be able to add the additional expenses for the next 15+ years to my budget.

I completely understand being able to budget for the expenses of a new kitten but having difficulty coming up with a high purchase price and initial expenses (you have to plan that the kitten might have some high costs at first)

I wish you luck in finding a good breeder (reducing the chance of high initial medical costs) at a good price.

obviously these wonderful cats are worth much more than $$ to us all, but we would be poor stewards if we didn't consider the costs.

susi794

Staff member
There is a significant difference between an initial outlay and ongoing expenses...
for example, I could easily afford to get another sphynx kitten or two right now(and don't think it's not tempting :BigSmile:), but I wouldn't be able to add the additional expenses for the next 15+ years to my budget.

I completely understand being able to budget for the expenses of a new kitten but having difficulty coming up with a high purchase price and initial expenses (you have to plan that the kitten might have some high costs at first)

I wish you luck in finding a good breeder (reducing the chance of high initial medical costs) at a good price.

obviously these wonderful cats are worth much more than $$ to us all, but we would be poor stewards if we didn't consider the costs.

No question that we need to consider the costs of being owned by one of these beautiful little creatures. Was definitely not meaning that we ignore the cost of upkeep. And I agree that the cost can be very high to keep them healthy. When I was shopping around for my first registered stud, I also found it cost restrictive at the time. One of our members, havingalook, made me a very generous deal that enabled me to buy him and I have subsequently spent thousands and thousands in vet bills on my cats. Just because you can't afford something initially doesn't mean you can't afford to take care of it later either. Without havingalook's giving me a chance, I would never have been able to afford him.
And you must also remember that I have to look at the posts from a different point of view too--when the first time you post on a forum someone tells you (even in a kindly way), that maybe you can't afford or shouldn't have the kitten you long for, it doesn't seem like such a friendly place to that person. We have plenty of people here that are looking for a sphynx at rehome or rescue prices. And I am not trying to be mean or snotty either....I just want to make sure everyone feels welcomed here. So please don't take offense at my comments anyone.
Hugs,
Susi

Fester

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I just want to make sure everyone feels welcomed here. So please don't take offense at my comments anyone.
Hugs,
Susi

Well said.
that was what exactly what I was trying to communicate, but definitely didn't so as well as @susi794.
I meant was that looking for a good price/good breeder is part of being a good cat owner -- the most expensive option is rarely the best, same with the cheapest

DaliaPatrice

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
It seemed like it took me months to save up for Yoda, since the start of the year really. We are not rich by any means. However, looking at our budget, we found ways to make it work, and to keep up with vet bills and insurance and whatnot. It is defiantly a huge undertaking, but making the effort to make informed decisions puts you in the qualifying circle.

Besides, I know plenty of people who have human children and cant afford them :LOL:

Monchchichi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I just wanted to come back to this thread because I feel like I came across bitchy in my first post. It wasn't my intention at all. I did A LOT of research before I got Hudson and still had no idea all the costs he came with, Ive had cats all my life so I thought one more no big deal...it was definitely a wake up call. I just wanted to make sure the poster was fully aware of the finances, that is all. If I offended anyone I do apologize!

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
First off thanks to all for keeping this under control!:ThumbsUp:

Next, yes owning a sphynx can cost alot of money but no more than a cat rescued from a barn, the cost of vet bills do not change because it is a sphynx nor does the price of food. Bottom line to me is that all pets require care.

bscott welcome to sphynxlair, good luck in your search, we will all keep an eye out for you and if any one does know of a breeder in that area please pm only I think the price range they said they want to stay in is $1000 or under so that should not be too hard.

susi794

Staff member
I just wanted to come back to this thread because I feel like I came across bitchy in my first post. It wasn't my intention at all. I did A LOT of research before I got Hudson and still had no idea all the costs he came with, Ive had cats all my life so I thought one more no big deal...it was definitely a wake up call. I just wanted to make sure the poster was fully aware of the finances, that is all. If I offended anyone I do apologize!

Thanks, Sweety, but no apology necessary. You were just trying to be helpful.

Monchchichi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
First off thanks to all for keeping this under control!:ThumbsUp:

Next, yes owning a sphynx can cost alot of money but no more than a cat rescued from a barn, the cost of vet bills do not change because it is a sphynx nor does the price of food. Bottom line to me is that all pets require care.

bscott welcome to sphynxlair, good luck in your search, we will all keep an eye out for you and if any one does know of a breeder in that area please pm only I think the price range they said they want to stay in is $1000 or under so that should not be too hard.

When I said the vet bills were more I was meaning yearly scans etc. Especially if you are in Canada its not as cheap for an echo cardiogram. I was told $800 for a scan so this is what I was pertaining to. You never know if a cat is going to encounter HCM and or any other health problem so its better to be prepared than not.

I can tell you that feeding Hudson costs quite a bit more than it does for me feeding my DSH as Sphynx's do require the higher protein. Ive talked to many Sphynx owners who say the food bill is a lot higher than a general cat and that low grade food causes watery stool as well as other problems. However every cat is different.:BigSmile:

Inflamed

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hi & welcome to the Lair! I hope you find a sphynx to complete your family with :ThumbsUp:
I'm not much help in the breeder department though, too far away :Dizzy:

Big Hoss

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hello and welcome to the lair.....
You don't have to be rich to own a Sphynx. Some are a touch more expensive than other cats but some are not at all more expensive. I have put more into Bells than I ever have Hoss. Hoss has only seen the vet for the upkeep any cat would need. In the end there is no way to know. You have to take a leap of faith.... I bet if you look you can find a breeder with kittens you can afford, both mine were in your price range....My hubby would have killed me if I spent $1500 for one.......Mine are healthy and come from breeders that scan..

So you DON'T have to pay that much for one and just because you CANT pay that much for one doesn't mean you shouldn't have one.......Good luck...

Amanda Ibbotson

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hello and welcome!!

I am not a seasoned vertain of the breed by any means and I've only had my two girls for a little over a month but...

I'd say start by looking at breeders online if your able visit a cattery do so. Also it is good in MY OPINION to have a contract that protects both you and the breeder. Waiting lists aren't as bad as they seem as this gives you time to save up the money for your new baby (and get as ready for there home coming YAY shopping!!). While I had no wait to get mine I did make payments, not all breeders take payments but mine did. I had till my first baby was 12 weeks in age to have her paid in full. So I paid weekly payments and in 11 weeks time I'd paid for both of my kits.

Now while it is not all about money I paid $2,500 for my girls my first baby was $1,500 and my second was $1,000 because my breeder reduced the price of the second kit if you adopted 2. But the kits are of the same qualitly and came with the same bells and whistles. Each girl was spayed, vacinated, micro-chiped, and came with a carrier and bed as well as papers and a 3 year health guarantee aginst congenital birth defects, replacing the kit should it pass away from such a thing. They also did heart scans on them both before they came home. While yes they were very young it ruled out anything abnormal at the time of sale and does not garantee something will not develop later but a pice of mind.

You may want to ask breeders about retired adults as they might be more in your budget. And I consider that just like adopting giving an older breeder a forever home with all the love and pampering a young kit would get.

My girls have been to the vet often from Upper Respitory Infections, so from the first week they came home we have been paying vet bills. We travel a good 60 miles to a vet that has experiance with them. Banfield pet hospital has a program for pets that works for us as we pay x amount a month and all visits are free as many as we need, shots, de-worming, and several other things are paid for in this. Then anything extra you pay for but it makes it affordable for us. I would recomend if you have this in your area to look into it.

I'd keep rambeling but I'm getting into cost of upkeep/food at this point and that is not what your asking for!:LOL: So enjoy the forum you'll find lots of info here and best luck in your search hope to see you around!:ThumbsUp:

SphynxKid

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I think you are being quite responsible for asking around for reputable breeders before making the leap. Sometimes there are not so responsible people out there asking a lot of money for not s healthy cats. I think it will take some time, but you could find a responsible breeder that has healthy cats for the price you are looking for, OR during that time, allow you to save up the extra $100-$300 dollars to get just the right kitty. Had I known what I was doing before I got my first I probably would have done more research before just finding "the cutest one" and going for that one. In hindsight, things turned out alright after a few vet visits but you do have to do the research beforehand. Thanks for reaching out to the Lair to do so. I am sure someone will look to help you out!

As others would I am sure - I would caution you on just going out and finding or rehoming a sphynx without looking into why it is being rehomed as well. Sometimes they have a lot of health problems or other issues that people try to hide.

I have one straight from a breeder and then I have one who is a retired breeder (a queen). My sister has a DSH from the pound and I would say the same amount of time into our ownership and she has been to the vet an equal amount of times as me (with 2 on my side)!

Good luck in your search.

Jen

KitCatty

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome to the lair!!! I can't help you with pricing as I paid the going pet rate for my first.... got a break on my second and third but that is usually how it works. You may want to look into retired breeders... If and when you do find one in the price range you're comfy with make sure you look at the cats quality above price, it is so important that your bundle of skin is healthy above all.

Hope to see you active on the lair and can't wait to see your baby:Laugh:

SpinkieMom

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian

thank you so much!
Another good way to adopt a Sphynx at a reduced price is when breeders have kittens over 6 months old. Sometimes people return them or reneg on their agreement with the breeder and don't pick up the kitten or the breeder may have had plans to mate the kitten that didn't work out. Granted the kitten will not be as small as a 12 week old, but who cares when you can make your dream an affordable reality.

It took me a long time to find Mr. Peabody (you can check out my story by searching the posts for "Not so New Newbie Intro"). I can't recommend a breeder in your area but I can offer you a few tips I followed. Keep searching online for breeders within driving distance and try different search engines ( not just Google). When you find a cattery(s) that look good search the name of the cattery on the Internet and look for any negative feedback or anything at all suspicious. Search the Better Business Bureau website to see if they have any complaints on file. Plan on visiting the cattery(s) in person--is it clean/well supplied/not too many cats or kittens/are they well taken care of/ask to meet the kitten's parents/read a copy of the breeder's adoption contract/ask when you will receive a copy of the registration papers/investigate with the organization(s) that the cattery(s) is registered with them and/or if the cattery exists and if the cat's parents are also registered with them--Moms and Dads frequently come from different catteries. Ask the breeder if their breeders have been tested for HCM (a form of heart disease common in Sphynx), what their policy is regarding a kitten they sell you that ends up testing positive for HCM. There is also an HCM registry on the Internet that you can check, but I'm not sure how complete it is. Last and most important is if it sounds too good to be true then it is...there is no such thing as a $100 Sphynx kitten.

Good luck and be patient.

Monchchichi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
There is also an HCM registry on the Internet that you can check, but I'm not sure how complete it is.

Good luck and be patient.

Can anyone check the registry? I had no idea this existed...I tried locating one before I got Hudson but no luck!

Monchchichi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I can't seem to find the cattery I got Hudson from on the HCM database, but the breeder did e-mail me copies of all scans. So that should be good enough right?

susi794

Staff member
Yes....my cattery isn't listed either. Because I haven't submitted any results....I scan though. I would just ask to see the results of the scans.

Back