Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

HELP HELP HELP!!!!

sphynkles

Lairian
Ok ok... im FREAKING OUT!!! I came into my laudry room because my sphynx boy Kilo was mewing about his litter box being full, so i went in to clean it, but on the floor there was two puddles of what looked like blood!!! I freaked out! Sometimes kitty pees on the floor if i forget to clean his litter and i think thats what it was!!! I cleaned the litter and he climbed in and i watched him pee, but as he most likely made those puddles a few moments ago, only a drop came out... and it was red!!! Ive been hearing about horrible diseases etc related to blood in the urine, and i REALLY don’t want to loose my lil 2yr old baby!!! Hes shown no signs of pain or any abnormal behaviour other than a bit of coughing... he seems to need to pee and keeps trying but only gets a few drops!!! Pls helppppp

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 52

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Well first step would be to get him to a vet for a full check up. If he feels like he needs to keep going to the toilet and is also meowing a lot while there he could have a UTI or something similar.
Best bet is to not freak out (I know it's hard) and get him checked. If he isn't showing signs of pain or lethargy then he is probably ok for the time being but it's very important to get him checked out and you won't be able to do much until a vet as diagnosed him

sphynkles

Lairian
UPDATE: kilo has been taken to the emergency vet hospital and is ok. He is able to pee and the vet has taken samples. She is sending them to the lab to see what infection it is. He does not have blockage and the results of the tests will let us know what the treatment will be.

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Oh, so happy to hear it was not a blockage. Kudos to you for reaching out, trusting your gut and acting quickly on a Sunday of all days. We see some wait too long and it becomes critical. Our girl was prone to infections and after meds she had relief within a day. Our vet said the straining and trying to pee is irritating and painful so your baby should be in a much better place by tomorrow. Cats hide pain so well and then it gets scary. Hopefully it just means an antibiotic. Please update us.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@sphynkles , (((((hugs))))) and positve vibes - kudos to you for being a purrfect mum and acting quickly .
Always best to get immediate treatment amd get a proper diagnosis and treatment plan to get Kilo bsck to himself ASAP .
Hopefully a treatment plan of perhaps a round of antibiotics will clear things up quickly ... Soooo happy not a blockage . These things can turn to lethal blockages .
It is is not uncommon for boys to get urinary infections ..my adoptee did .
his test results were positive for presence of blood and Struvite crystals .. (Some kitties get oxalate crystals.)
Stay positive. My boy had his incident when he was 3 years old. He got a round of antibiotics and has never had an incident again . All paws crossed for Kilo .

Following closely for updates on test results and treatment plan .
Feel better speedy recovery Head smooches sent

sphynkles

Lairian
UPDATE 2: Kilo is about to be picked up from the vet. The result was he cad crystals. The vets giving us meds for him and a prescription diet. His food needs to be changed to a veteranary diet and he isn’t allowed canned food or treats for a while. We also need to clean his litter box more often and get him a box with no roof. Hes on his way home and should be good as new soon. He also has gotten pain meds and i think an antibiotic.

nudieluvr

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Highly, highly recommend sticking to wet food in this case. No dry food which is what leads to crystals from lack of moisture. Male cats are more prone to crystals than females.

The wet food will make him pee, which is a good thing, although more pee means you will need to scoop the litter box more frequently. Talk about your blessings in disguise.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@sphynkles , bless you for getting him to the vet ASAP - I know it always seems to happen on a Sunday - ugh

Glad you got a diagnosis amd treat,went plan - be sure not to skip any medications
He should bounce bsck quickly - been there some thst with my boy - he has been crystal free for 5 years now
He is a total dry food addict ugh -
I did get him to drink more water registry by placing his water dish about 5 feet away from hei food bowl - best wouldn't use a fountain either

Did vet say if it was struvite or oxalate crystals? Name of antibiotic ? Did they recommend the c/d food ?
Healing vibes sent ! Extra snuggles and head smooches - been a long day for you and Kilo

He should feel better soon with those meds

TatyanaMassey

Lairian
Healing vibes to Kili and sorry for just now logging on and catching up! So glad to know its not kidney failure, thats exactly what happened to my darling Miss P and we had to put her to rest as treatment wasnt possible

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Pfffew very reliefed to hear it were krystals and he has meds now. It'great you noticed so quickly what was goi g on and went to the vets straight away.
Sending healing vibes to Kilo

sphynkles

Lairian
UPDATE:The vet gave us special wet food for him that helps clear out his system and encourage him to pee. He peed this morning but was still attempting to pee after so the vet told us to take him back today to get a prescription dry food and check him out to make sure he hasn’t worsened. Hes very drowsy from his pain meds.

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@sphynkles So pleased you got a speedy diagnosis and that he's home again and on the mend! I would have freaked out too... :(

But while we're on this subject here, I'm a bit concerned about the dry food warnings :oops: Butchie eats mainly a dry diet, with one wet meal for dinner, but he drinks A LOT of water throughout the day. Does this condition happen when there is not enough intake of fluids, or can it happen anyway?

sphynkles

Lairian
@sphynkles So pleased you got a speedy diagnosis and that he's home again and on the mend! I would have freaked out too... :(

But while we're on this subject here, I'm a bit concerned about the dry food warnings :oops: Butchie eats mainly a dry diet, with one wet meal for dinner, but he drinks A LOT of water throughout the day. Does this condition happen when there is not enough intake of fluids, or can it happen anyway?
I think its mainly fluids but there are other conditions such as bladder stones and cancer that can cause this too but i don’t know as im not a vet

sphynkles

Lairian
UPDATE: Kilo has gotten even more meds and some food He is not the biggest fan of ^^’ he has FLUTD and this diet and meds should help him. Hes still trying to pee after peeing but has had less blood in pee and one VERY minimal blood pee! He has suffered from loss of red blood cells and is coming up as slightly anemic ): he is also a bit low on iron and white blood cells and is a bit overwheight at 12 pounds. This whole treatment has cost us around $700 and we hope he won’t need any more xS

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Fingers crossed for you guys. He will probably come around to the food once he realises that he doesn't have much choice in the matter :p and the meds should kick in soon and help with his needing to pee and the discomfort with that. I'm sure you guys are going to be fine with the treatment plan and he is going to do well on it. But Orpheus and I will be sending good healing vibes your way!

susi794

Staff member
Sorry I haven’t tuned in before this. I am in hospital myself and just read this. I am glad you brought Kilo in right away. It most likely saved his life. Just watch him closely and remember you know him better than anyone. If your gut says he needs help, then follow it.
Prayers he continues to improve.
Hugs,
Susi and the gang

meandmytwo

Lairian
Water intake is so so important in preventing crystal formations and worse, those crystals turning into stones and causing a blockage.

One of my boys, Frost, was found to have crystals at around 1 year old. Similar scenario, going in and out of the litter box leaving behind only a drop. I got him to the vet asap. He eats primarily raw with just a small snack of kibble each day. The vet suggesting switching to the prescription kibble so we’ve been using that since. And continuing the raw of course. He’s now 2 and hasn’t had a problem since. I found it hard to believe that insufficient water intake “caused” our problem with being mostly raw fed. The vet suggested stress as the culprit, even that seems really unlikely in our home but who knows. We had just gotten through thunderstorm season at the time he was having the issue so maybe short term stress triggered it. It’s also just one of those things that a kitty can be susceptible to.

My point is :), regardless of initial cause or ongoing factors that puts a kitty at risk, sufficient water intake is so so important in lessening the risk going forward.

I find the easiest and most successful way of increasing water intake is to add water to their raw/wet meals. I add water each and every time. It ends up a little soupy sometimes if I over do it but my guys love it served in any way.

I wanna see huge pees every time and I do!

Hang in there @sphynkles.
I hope things have been going well for you in general. I remember when you got your boy!

Last edited: