Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

HELP! I found where Miss Violet is peeing! :(

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
My husband and I finally got the black light and searched the entire room. Miss violet has been peeing on my daughter's window seat with all the cushions and pillows.

We removed everything from the window seat and will take care of cleaning it all, but in the meantime, I don't understand why she bothered to pee in her litter box before I woke up today. I don't understand why she is doing this. She poops in her litter box...thank goodness.

I've had cats my entire life and I've never encountered this problems before. Even the cat that I raised from the time she was two days old never did this.

I had started her off on World's Best litter which she didn't use. Then I gave her two litter pans, one with Kitten Attract Litter and one with the litter that the breeder was using. She began using the Kitten Attract Litter to poop in and peed once overnight. The litter that the breeder was using doesn't interest Miss Violet at all. She won't even use that litter for anything.

So now what? What do I do? I have placed her in the litter box a million times and she jumps right out.

I'll never be able to let her out of that room at this point. :( I can't have her peeing anywhere she wants to.

My husband even said to put her in the bathroom, but the bathroom is way, way too cold. If it wasn't the winter, I'd be able to put her in there. I certainly can't wait until next year to put her in the bathroom!

HELP!

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Oh no. Has she peed on the window seat since she used the litter pan last night? Or is she now using the litter pan?

I would have recommended the bathroom too, or a smaller room with less towels and blankets that she could pee on. We put both our cats into the bathroom when they arrived.

Is there any way to cover up the spot she was peeing on? As well as clean it thoroughly, maybe you could move her litter pan near it too?

Hope you manage to sort it out soon :( xx

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Oh no. Has she peed on the window seat since she used the litter pan last night? Or is she now using the litter pan?

I would have recommended the bathroom too, or a smaller room with less towels and blankets that she could pee on. We put both our cats into the bathroom when they arrived.

Is there any way to cover up the spot she was peeing on? As well as clean it thoroughly, maybe you could move her litter pan near it too?

Hope you manage to sort it out soon :( xx

She peed in the litter box before I woke up today. The pee spots were "old" and new. Some were dry and others were very wet. :( So yes, she has peed on the window seat since the time she peed in the litter box.

The litter box is not far from the window seat at all. It's not directly in the front of it (her food is in the front of the window seat). Now there is nothing but wood where the cushion and all the pillows were.

I'm so upset about this now. I can't sleep and I'm so tense. :(

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
She peed in the litter box before I woke up today. The pee spots were "old" and new. Some were dry and others were very wet. :( So yes, she has peed on the window seat since the time she peed in the litter box.

The litter box is not far from the window seat at all. It's not directly in the front of it (her food is in the front of the window seat). Now there is nothing but wood where the cushion and all the pillows were.

Awww Robin don't be upset -- you are doing everything you can, sounds like.

I would pick up all towels and fabrics you can in case they get peed on too. I think just being the wood she will be discouraged from using that spot again.

It is surprising that she is pooping but not peeing in there, some cats do like different boxes for pooping and peeing so maybe you could set the other box up with the litter she likes and try placing her in that one? Do you know what kind of litter pan the breeder used? maybe getting a similar one would help.

How is she settling in? Does she still seem shy?

::hugs:: try not to stress out lady! She will get there.

Hopefully now that's cleaned up and moved she will go back to using the box.

Embracing-Joyx4

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

You said she used the litter with the kitten attract before? Maybe try a larger pan if the pan is small perhaps she likes to move around a bit. And for sure move out anything she can pee on. How old is she? I have read that sphynx need to be with their moms a few weeks longer sometimes maybe she is just missing her mom. Don't worry also u can try giving her a litter box with a cover she might like that.

nfaerie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My husband and I finally got the black light and searched the entire room. Miss violet has been peeing on my daughter's window seat with all the cushions and pillows.

We removed everything from the window seat and will take care of cleaning it all, but in the meantime, I don't understand why she bothered to pee in her litter box before I woke up today. I don't understand why she is doing this. She poops in her litter box...thank goodness.

I've had cats my entire life and I've never encountered this problems before. Even the cat that I raised from the time she was two days old never did this.

I had started her off on World's Best litter which she didn't use. Then I gave her two litter pans, one with Kitten Attract Litter and one with the litter that the breeder was using. She began using the Kitten Attract Litter to poop in and peed once overnight. The litter that the breeder was using doesn't interest Miss Violet at all. She won't even use that litter for anything.

So now what? What do I do? I have placed her in the litter box a million times and she jumps right out.

I'll never be able to let her out of that room at this point. :( I can't have her peeing anywhere she wants to.

My husband even said to put her in the bathroom, but the bathroom is way, way too cold. If it wasn't the winter, I'd be able to put her in there. I certainly can't wait until next year to put her in the bathroom!

HELP!
Yes, clean all the window seat thoroughly with one of those enzyme cleaners or the one that Jackson Galaxy recommends. I would clear the entire window seat and place a litter tray on it so she gets the idea. Also is it possible that she sees other cats or possums or something outside the window?? Is the window on ground level?? She might feel threatened by something and is trying to establish her territory to feel safe. Also, do you have a Feliway diffuser?? It sounds like miss Violet can use some sense of security. I highly, highly reccomend the diffuser for your situation. It discourages that type of behaviour and makes than feel safe. Diffuser is so much more effective than the spray. I have used both when I first got Cleopatra. For the first few weeks, whenever she got scared, she would run strait to her room next to the diffuser.

susi794

Staff member
Sounds like her litterbox habits weren't fully developed yet. Have you got a large cage or kennel? You can put her in it with the litterbox for a few days. Take her out to play with her then try putting her right back in it with nothing but a something to sleep on and the litterbox. Or can you contain her in a smaller section of the room you have her in?

Franksmom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Do your other cats use that litter box? Maybe she needs more smells in there, she left a house with lots of cats using the litter box. I know she was in the kitten room, but there were other cats in there using it. Maybe she misses their smells. Just trying to help

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Do your other cats use that litter box? Maybe she needs more smells in there, she left a house with lots of cats using the litter box. I know she was in the kitten room, but there were other cats in there using it. Maybe she misses their smells. Just trying to help

No other cats go in Miss Violet's room. But I did take a clump of pee from the boys' litter box and put it in her litter box earlier in the week. Didn't phase her at all. I also put her in to the boys' litter box and she was not even interested in sniffing it. She just wanted to jump out.

Hmm? I don't get why she would pee in her litter box only once!?!

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Sounds like her litterbox habits weren't fully developed yet. Have you got a large cage or kennel? You can put her in it with the litterbox for a few days. Take her out to play with her then try putting her right back in it with nothing but a something to sleep on and the litterbox. Or can you contain her in a smaller section of the room you have her in?

We have a large dog crate that was never used (I believe we still have it).
Ok, so I'll put her litter box in the crate, a towel for a bed (because I know she'll probably pee on it!), and what about her food and water bowls?

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Yes, clean all the window seat thoroughly with one of those enzyme cleaners or the one that Jackson Galaxy recommends. I would clear the entire window seat and place a litter tray on it so she gets the idea. Also is it possible that she sees other cats or possums or something outside the window?? Is the window on ground level?? She might feel threatened by something and is trying to establish her territory to feel safe. Also, do you have a Feliway diffuser?? It sounds like miss Violet can use some sense of security. I highly, highly reccomend the diffuser for your situation. It discourages that type of behaviour and makes than feel safe. Diffuser is so much more effective than the spray. I have used both when I first got Cleopatra. For the first few weeks, whenever she got scared, she would run strait to her room next to the diffuser.

The bedroom is upstairs and she's not seeing any animals, I'm sure. The windows are covered by curtains.
She is no longer shy or nervous. She no longer hides in the room under furniture, etc.

Thank you for all your suggestions. They are thoughtful and make sense. :)

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Awww Robin don't be upset -- you are doing everything you can, sounds like.

I would pick up all towels and fabrics you can in case they get peed on too. I think just being the wood she will be discouraged from using that spot again.

It is surprising that she is pooping but not peeing in there, some cats do like different boxes for pooping and peeing so maybe you could set the other box up with the litter she likes and try placing her in that one? Do you know what kind of litter pan the breeder used? maybe getting a similar one would help.

How is she settling in? Does she still seem shy?

::hugs:: try not to stress out lady! She will get there.

Hopefully now that's cleaned up and moved she will go back to using the box.

Yes, I picked up all the cushy stuff last night. I woke up today to a wet p.j. leg! She used the blanket that is on my daughter's bed. I was under that spot. It got on the blanket, the flat sheet, my p.j. leg AND the fitted sheet, the mattress cover, etc.

I don't know yet what kind of litter box the breeder was using. I actually had planned on getting a hooded one yesterday, but when I woke up yesterday, I didn't think it was necessary anymore because that's when she finally peed in her litter box for the first time on her own.

She has settled in. She is no longer shy or nervous. She doesn't hide anymore either.

Her peeing on the bed this a.m. is just the final straw for me. I sleep in there with her and now that won't happen again. I have to remove her from the room or something.

The bathroom is way too cold...so my husband is going to look for a brand new large dog crate that would be in the boiler room if we still have it. Susi suggested it.

I'm quite sure that she'll pee on whatever I give her to lay on/sleep on in the crate though.

Thank you,
Robin

andreanar

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Robin-hang in there, this will pass. I totally agree with putting her in the dog crate to limit her space. I would put litter pan at one end and food, water bowls at the other near her towel bed. Ugh its frustrating I know! I finally got my house smelling better after my pooping outside the box issues. Crossing fingers for you!

susi794

Staff member
Also, please make an appointment with your vet to rule out cystitis, UTI, kidney issues, etc. Supposedly most inappropriate urinations are because of a medical or environmental reason. Please rule out the medical one. She might also benefit from having an older cat in a room with her--to learn how to use it properly. Otherwise try the dog crate.

1sphynxlover

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Sorry to hear about this set back. I would also experiment with the amount of litter in the box. Some like it deep where others like it shallow. I think the crate idea is good and also checking with the vet just to make sure it's nothing physical. Hope to hear good results. Hugs!

Taraforweb

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Neenee actually has two litter boxes. She pees in one and pooh's in the other.

As stated above, it does sound like she hasn't developed proper habits yet.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Yes, I picked up all the cushy stuff last night. I woke up today to a wet p.j. leg! She used the blanket that is on my daughter's bed. I was under that spot. It got on the blanket, the flat sheet, my p.j. leg AND the fitted sheet, the mattress cover, etc.

I don't know yet what kind of litter box the breeder was using. I actually had planned on getting a hooded one yesterday, but when I woke up yesterday, I didn't think it was necessary anymore because that's when she finally peed in her litter box for the first time on her own.

She has settled in. She is no longer shy or nervous. She doesn't hide anymore either.

Her peeing on the bed this a.m. is just the final straw for me. I sleep in there with her and now that won't happen again. I have to remove her from the room or something.

The bathroom is way too cold...so my husband is going to look for a brand new large dog crate that would be in the boiler room if we still have it. Susi suggested it.

I'm quite sure that she'll pee on whatever I give her to lay on/sleep on in the crate though.

Thank you,
Robin

If her health is fine, I, read years ago, you, could not, put the cats food and water, where the litter is.
It, will affect some cats, they, won't use the litter, because, that is where they eat.
I, know, she used the window seat, but, this might be her way of telling you.
It's worth a try to feed her somewhere else. Best Wishes.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Robin-hang in there, this will pass. I totally agree with putting her in the dog crate to limit her space. I would put litter pan at one end and food, water bowls at the other near her towel bed. Ugh its frustrating I know! I finally got my house smelling better after my pooping outside the box issues. Crossing fingers for you!

Thank you, Andrea. :)

I wouldn't put the litter box and food/water near each other because I know from puppies/dogs that they generally don't make where they eat and sleep. That's where the crate idea comes from ... their denning instinct. Yes, dogs and cats are very different in many ways, but it's just something think about. LOL

So I had her food/water near her bed and that's where her accidents were rather than closer to where I had her actual litter box. So go figure!

I have removed Miss Violet from my daughter's room and put her in my master bathroom with a heater on and her sweater too. Simon jumped in to her litter box and peed. As soon as he did that, Miss Violet copied him and she's been peeing and pooping in her litter box ever since!
She LOVES Simon and follows him everywhere. The first day that I moved her out of my daughter's bedroom, she's been able to sleep in my room ever since!

I'm glad to hear that you finally got your house smelling like it should. :) I'm so glad to hear that. What did you use? I generally use Nature's Miracle or white vinegar.

Robin :)

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Also, please make an appointment with your vet to rule out cystitis, UTI, kidney issues, etc. Supposedly most inappropriate urinations are because of a medical or environmental reason. Please rule out the medical one. She might also benefit from having an older cat in a room with her--to learn how to use it properly. Otherwise try the dog crate.

On Saturday, I had made an appointment for her on Sunday, but I never had to take her because Simon showed Miss Violet the ropes! :)

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Sorry to hear about this set back. I would also experiment with the amount of litter in the box. Some like it deep where others like it shallow. I think the crate idea is good and also checking with the vet just to make sure it's nothing physical. Hope to hear good results. Hugs!

Thank you, Jo. :)

I have removed Miss Violet from my daughter's room and put her in my master bathroom with a heater on and her sweater too. Simon jumped in to her litter box and peed. As soon as he did that, Miss Violet copied him and she's been peeing and pooping in her litter box ever since!
She LOVES Simon and follows him everywhere. The first day that I moved her out of my daughter's bedroom, she's been able to sleep in my room ever since!

Robin :) oxox

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Neenee actually has two litter boxes. She pees in one and pooh's in the other.

As stated above, it does sound like she hasn't developed proper habits yet.

I know that cats can prefer the two litter boxes that way...so I offered it and still nothing!

It definitely sounds like her litter box issues were from poor habits/not developed properly yet. Although, she was extremely timid the first night and next day at my house. After that, she didn't hide under the furniture in my daughter's room anymore. I believe she was a bit afraid of shoes/slippers! The breeder had a kitten room and she took off her shoes every single time she entered that room. I realized that Miss Violet was looking at my feet each time I walked in the room...and then she would run the other way. :( But that went away quickly...once she saw that my feet were nothing to be afraid of. LOL

Thank you,
Robin

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
If her health is fine, I, read years ago, you, could not, put the cats food and water, where the litter is.
It, will affect some cats, they, won't use the litter, because, that is where they eat.
I, know, she used the window seat, but, this might be her way of telling you.
It's worth a try to feed her somewhere else. Best Wishes.

Thank you, Hairless Blessing. :)

I wouldn't put the litter box and food/water near each other because I know from puppies/dogs that they generally don't make where they eat and sleep. That's where the crate idea comes from ... their denning instinct. Yes, dogs and cats are very different in many ways, but it's just something think about. LOL

So I had her food/water near her bed and that's where her accidents were rather than closer to where I had her actual litter box. So go figure!

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
You said she used the litter with the kitten attract before? Maybe try a larger pan if the pan is small perhaps she likes to move around a bit. And for sure move out anything she can pee on. How old is she? I have read that sphynx need to be with their moms a few weeks longer sometimes maybe she is just missing her mom. Don't worry also u can try giving her a litter box with a cover she might like that.

The breeder didn't have a box with a hood on it, but I offered her a few boxes at the same time. Now she's got three to chose from: normal size, large size and HUGE size. LOL

Thanks you, Christina.
Robin :) oxox

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Thank you, Hairless Blessing. :)

Have you just let her out of confinement yet? Let her go and do her thing? Since she likes Simon, she will maybe?? Use the litter box?
I am just racking my brain trying to help you??? Why are you still confining her, if you are?? Is it the litter box issue??
That might be another thing, she may be doing it because she is and the other's are out and she wants to be with them?? If she used
the litter box after Simon, then, you know she knows to use it. I just wish you the best.

Back