Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Help! I'm at a loss and so worried for my boy.

MoniDear

Lairian
My boy Thackery has started developing scabs on his face around his eyes (see attached).
This happened once before and the vet said allergies so we changed food to one they recommended (Royal Canin Neutered Young Male). It seemed to clear up but now it seems to be coming back and his sister (same litter) is getting wee spots too.
I tried using coconut oil to help clear it up and it seemed to make it worse so stopped that ASAP and now trying the steroid cream they originally gave us to see if that will help.
I just wanna know if anyone else has experienced something like this.

20210308_162807.jpg20210308_162800.jpg20210308_162744.jpg

Sheldon13

Staff member
Wow that’s quite bad I see. Firstly, stay away from the coconut oil. It’s very pore-clogging.

Has your baby seen the vet or have you called since this last episode?

Have you ever tried a wound spray such as Vetrycin? They make ophthalmic gel as well so I would advise you put some of that or an eye lubricant of some kind to protect the eyes before you use the spray.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I would not use coconut oil because at this point we don't know what's causing the problem and it could be anything. I would wash all the cat beds, your bed sheets, blankets, etc. Since cats spend a lot of time on the floor, it would be good to clean the floors. Use natural cleaners instead of chemicals. For example, you can clean tile floors with vinegar and water.

Another thing it can be is food. I know you already switched the food once but it's worth mentioning.

Beyond that, ask your vet about medicated shampoos. You don't need a script to buy them, but there are a few different kinds and I'm not sure which one would be best for you. For example, I use Duoxo Chlorhexidine for one of my Sphynxes that gets a rash. The shampoos help get rid of the rash, but ultimately you really need to put your finger on what is causing the rash in the first place so you can avoid it.

MoniDear

Lairian
Wow that’s quite bad I see. Firstly, stay away from the coconut oil. It’s very pore-clogging.

Has your baby seen the vet or have you called since this last episode?

Have you ever tried a wound spray such as Vetrycin? They make ophthalmic gel as well so I would advise you put some of that or an eye lubricant of some kind to protect the eyes before you use the spray.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need
I've called again this evening and have an appointment for Friday. If it gets any worse I'm going to go in sooner.
I'm pushing for them to do a full allergen panel on both of them.

MoniDear

Lairian
I would not use coconut oil because at this point we don't know what's causing the problem and it could be anything. I would wash all the cat beds, your bed sheets, blankets, etc. Since cats spend a lot of time on the floor, it would be good to clean the floors. Use natural cleaners instead of chemicals. For example, you can clean tile floors with vinegar and water.

Another thing it can be is food. I know you already switched the food once but it's worth mentioning.

Beyond that, ask your vet about medicated shampoos. You don't need a script to buy them, but there are a few different kinds and I'm not sure which one would be best for you. For example, I use Duoxo Chlorhexidine for one of my Sphynxes that gets a rash. The shampoos help get rid of the rash, but ultimately you really need to put your finger on what is causing the rash in the first place so you can avoid it.
I've washed everything already and definitely stopped coconut oil, I've called the vet and have an appointment for Friday. I'm pushing for a full allergen panel for both of them. I'll make their food themselves if I have to.

Yoda mom

Staff member
hugs n positive vibe head smooches, please keep us updated , all paws are family.