Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Help...Kitten Wont Stop Climbing Me

NevynNoir

Lairian
My little guy Wonton is about 15 weeks old now, and we've been having a major issue with him climbing/jumping/digging his claws into my legs. Basically as soon as I get up, walk around or stand up, he's right there trying to climb me, or at least planning his method of attack. I will scold him (and sometimes yell out in pain) and he immediately goes right back into trying to climb me all over again.

I've tried picking him up when he's in one of his crazy climbing moods (which is basically 90% of the time) and usually he will allow me to hold him for a few moments and then start clawing to get down so he can race from one side of my loft to the other.I've noticed that he really isnt very good at jumping in general...instead he makes a very small leap, digs in his claws, and pulls himself up...on me, on the couch, the bed etc.
I have normal height counters and there is no way that he would even be able to jump half the height of them...Is this normal? He is a bambino, but a non standard one. (not sure if that has something to do with his lack of jumping ability)

I really am just looking for some advice on what to do about this, and how to prevent him from continuing this behaviour in the future as it's ruining all of my pants and tights, not to mention my legs, which are covered in scratches. Does this type of behaviour usually stop or slow once they are neutered?

Help? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• wonton2.jpg
    wonton2.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 58

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Try hissing or canned air. After neutering they slow down a bit, but trying to curb now is important.

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Toothless is about the same age as your little man and we are having the same issue.
I've hissed at her a few times and it seems to shock her out of it for a few minutes .. I figured if it worked when Elfie did it would work for :rolleyes:

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Wonton is adorable!

Max did this incessantly when he was younger (3 months). Eventually he slowed down and now only climbs up me during meal preparation times and I honestly don't mind. Because I keep his claws trimmed, he can't always jump to my shoulders (which he can now do almost in one leap... he's 6 months old now).

I sort of intervene and simply lift him onto my shoulders so he can watch me prepare his meal. He's very cute and nuzzles my neck and purrs in my ear.

Hopefully Wonton will slow the behaviour down or you can nip it in the bud.

Lickleone

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Both mine did it I just let them cause they weren't doing it purposely to hurt they just wanted to ride high as they got older they no longer climb they will however Jim in order to ride on my should and I just accept it it Hurd sometimes doesn't at other times.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I would say NO and hiss at him or use canned air. See if this doesn't help.
But, would remove him from your leg while doin it.

Sphynxuk

Lairian
Isn't this just normal kitten behaviour? The higher they can get, the better! He's just practising, and probably also feels safe up high next to you.
Mine were the same. The eldest cut it out quite early, and only asks to be picked up, or for us to be a ladder to the point he wants to get too these days.
His younger bother has always enjoyed climbing people. He's the one who perches on backs, necks, heads, shoulders most often. He can spring up on my shoulder any time without warning. He's a huge (not fat) boy, but very gentle, helped by the fact I keep nails trimmed.

No real advice, other than be on your guard, and move away and say NO when he's approaching! Hopefully he will calm down a little.

JenFid

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Mulder did this. I normally wouldn't mind but even with clipped claws they still leave marks unless you're wearing jeans or thick sweats...every time he started I would lean down and hiss at him, and he would freeze, eyes wide, then jump off my leg. It took a few times of doing that for him to stop. Now, he just stands up against my leg and gently paws, and I pick him up, from there I let him on my shoulders. He still gets to be where he wants and my yoga pants and legs are safe.

Back