Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

HELP! Kitty won't stop coughing/sneezing. Fungus on feet?

Ode

Lairian
I got my kitty last Feb and have issues with Fungus like substance on her feet and tail, I have been putting meds for ringworm on it, it is almost gone but has now been 9 months of fighting this to go away. She also has a horrible cough/sneezing. I have taken her to the vet, when she gets on Azithromycin, she gets better but as soon as she stops, it is right back. She is now on Clavamox and it is not agreeing where her so great (Diarrhea bad:(). I can still hear her breathing and she is still sneezing, it has been 2 1/2 weeks that she has been on this, Vet wants her on for 6 weeks. She also had bacteria and yeast in ears, this seems better, i cleaned them weekly but they were always really bad. I feel like she can hear us now, where I thought she was deaf. Can anyone help on these issues? She just turned one and I feel horrible for her and am not sure what else to do!
I truly appreciate any information you can give us!

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have heard from others (@Catzzzmeow is a good source) that clavamox doesn't seem to work well with sphynx. Others might be able to recommend a better treatment?

Has the vet suggested any reason the URI symptoms keep re-occurring? Could it be herpes? L-lysine as a supplement might help.

When my guys had yeast infection in ears we would clean the ears every day for 10 days with the cleaner the vet gave us (tresaderm) and that helped clear it up.

Ode

Lairian
That was their first thought, so she is on Lysine. I have been cleaning her ears and they are better. They did a culture and it came back with 2 bacteria's, which my breeder says are normal? I just feel like I am reaching for straws. I am thinking I will have the vet change her Meds. I feel so bad,this sweet girl has lived her whole life sick:(

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Do you have a picture of the fungus? Just wondering if another member has seen it before.

Any chance that she is allergic to something? That can cause cough/ sneezing as well.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, we have seen many members not have success with Clavamox with this breed. Has your vet really tried to diagnose what they feel this is? I have never had to have one of our cats on an antibiotic for more than 2 weeks...6 weeks seems like a very long time.
Like mentioned if we can see a pic of tail issue it would be helpful.

Does your vet have other Sphynx as clients? After a year of trying, it might be time for a second opinion.

Patti

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I got my kitty last Feb and have issues with Fungus like substance on her feet and tail, I have been putting meds for ringworm on it, it is almost gone but has now been 9 months of fighting this to go away. She also has a horrible cough/sneezing. I have taken her to the vet, when she gets on Azithromycin, she gets better but as soon as she stops, it is right back. She is now on Clavamox and it is not agreeing where her so great (Diarrhea bad:(). I can still hear her breathing and she is still sneezing, it has been 2 1/2 weeks that she has been on this, Vet wants her on for 6 weeks. She also had bacteria and yeast in ears, this seems better, i cleaned them weekly but they were always really bad. I feel like she can hear us now, where I thought she was deaf. Can anyone help on these issues? She just turned one and I feel horrible for her and am not sure what else to do!
I truly appreciate any information you can give us!
Pictures may help of the feet and tail. Someone may have dealt with a similar issue. Many vets have diagnosed "dirty" ears for ear mites and yeast infections when in fact its just dirty ears. As @Catzzzmeow had mentioned, perhaps its time to get a second opinion from another vet. :)

Ode

Lairian
Do you have a picture of the fungus? Just wondering if another member has seen it before.

Any chance that she is allergic to something? That can cause cough/ sneezing as well.

This is how it started. It turned brown. The breeder first said they were callases.
I've thought she was possibly allergic but when she's in the Azithromyacin she gets better. If she gets off it she starts again within 5 days. I almost have the fungus gone but not sure it won't come back. It always
image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 28

Ode

Lairian
I posted pics above. I think they are showing uP? My breeder has been giving me meds for the majority. The vet has just started to really dig into it. The issue is that I've already spent $700 and have gotten no where. That's why I'm trying to reach out to other owners now. The breeder kept saying she wasn't on the meds long enough and that's why it kept coming back so each try she was on them longer and they seemed to be working until she got off if them. Then I'd start all over. She is the only cat in the house and I really feel like I got her sick but the breeder insists she got such here within the first 2 weeks. So frustraying

admin

Administrator
Staff member
This is how it started. It turned brown. The breeder first said they were callases.
I've thought she was possibly allergic but when she's in the Azithromyacin she gets better. If she gets off it she starts again within 5 days. I almost have the fungus gone but not sure it won't come back. It always
View attachment 52783 View attachment 52784
Have you used the same food since the day you brought her home? The tail almost looks like an allergic reaction to something, a lot of times in this breed its food allergies. The bottom of the feet look like burns almost, is she laying on a hot cable box/ TV receiver or even a rough carpeted cat tree/ resting area?

Ode

Lairian
I switched litter and food. I've been putting fungus cream on and it's going away but if I stop it comes back. I just keep wondering if there's a link to her coughing w what's going on w feet and tail. It does not look like this anymore. This is how it started then callused

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Pictures may help of the feet and tail. Someone may have dealt with a similar issue. Many vets have diagnosed "dirty" ears for ear mites and yeast infections when in fact its just dirty ears. As @Catzzzmeow had mentioned, perhaps its time to get a second opinion from another vet. :)

I switched litter and food.
Did you switch food/ litter because of the sores?

Have you used the same food since the day you brought her home? The tail almost looks like an allergic reaction to something, a lot of times in this breed its food allergies. The bottom of the feet look like burns almost, is she laying on a hot cable box/ TV receiver or even a rough carpeted cat tree/ resting area?

As I stated in my post, I really don't think they are one in the same. The tail looks like an allergic reaction or allergy and the feet look like burns or sores from a heat source or rough surface, she isn't caged is she?

Ode

Lairian
No. Never been caged. The breeder thought it was ringworm. Just not sure how she'd get that. I've tried many litters. Even tried potty training to get rid of litter. Worked to a certain extent but gave up on it.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I've been putting fungus cream on and it's going away but if I stop it comes back

Also, being you stated it "appears" to be getting better, yet still remains even after treating with an anti - fungal medication leads me to believe its not fungus. Most anti- full medications contain hydrocortisone which will reduce swelling and irritation and may appear to look as if its getting better.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
No. Never been caged. The breeder thought it was ringworm. Just not sure how she'd get that. I've tried many litters. Even tried potty training to get rid of litter. Worked to a certain extent but gave up on it.
Where does she nap the majority of the time?

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Ode , Awh poor baby! Love to see a pic of her little face- how are her eyes?
What is her name?
Litter-I have heard some kitties getting yeast infections from a litter brand- what are you using and is it unscented?
I seem to recall some kitties skin not agreeing with worlds best litter?

Food-what have you switched to?

I would definitely get a second vet opinion -I agree 6 weeks on antibiotics is a looong time-

*I have successfully used amoxicillin liquid with sphynx - Not sure where you love but in the US many grocery store pharmacy and walmart have free pet antibiotics- vet just needs to call it in for you- most won't tell you unless you ask to call it in-
*I get my pet prescriptions at Publix pharmacy- they will formulate it into a liquid suspension for free and even flavor it upon request no charge ** they give the plunger applicator with it too- this liquid antibiotic is usually $27 at the vet

For sphynx skin prescriptions that have worked well: Terramycin and entederm

Vetericyn spray is non prescription non toxic I like to use on skin- bought on line
They now make a Vetericyn VF formula in gel and spray

I hope you can get a second opinion and some relief for your baby-
Please let us know the litter and food using and like mentioned check to see if she is laying on warm areas

** they are notorious too for seeking out warmth from flat top cook stoves and warm metal edges of the stove!
I have to put my babies up when I use the stove-

** I would definitely have vet rule out upper respiratory infection URI
And urticaria pigmentosa

**For stubborn ears I used zymox plus for ears by itself for 5 days - wiping it gently In ears with cotton pad
Then went back to using Trizultra plus keto

I know my cats don't do well on dusty or scented litter I now use cats pride fresh and light fragrance free- it's low dust clumping and publix puts it on sale buy one get one free

Sending healing thoughts you get some answers and relief for your baby
Always consult with your vet with use of any products ***

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Ode

Lairian
Thank u for all your input. I had her using natural flushable litter and just switched to arm and hammer double duty. I was giving her Iams kitten just bought the original I was going to ween her on that. I'm going to call the vet today. She sits on the vents but that's about it.

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Some things that I would try (if you haven't already):

Switching to a newspaper litter - it is not the most fun to scoop, but it has no dust and no fragrance.

Using the vetericyn spray that someone else recommended.

Seeking out another vet - make calls to any and all clinics nearby to see if they have experience working with allergies and skin issues. Explain the issue on the phone and see what they say. You can have your file transferred to a new clinic no problem so they will have her history.

Just curious - what type of food has she been on, or what have you tried?

Just as an example - Molly has had one runny eye that tears and gets red for over a year. Vet gave 2 types of drops and we thought it was an environmental allergy. She got sick in September and I had to switch he food. Her eye cleared right up within a week. So it was a food allergy and we never even thought of it.

Yoda mom

Staff member
image.jpg
@Ode, awh soo cute! Looks like my blue cream mink Claire Bare!
Glad you sent the pic! Yes!good eyes @MollysMom , I am wondering too about the heat vent-maybe the culprit to her feet?
Does she sit on this heat vent all the time?
** If so, I would get those plastic heat vent deflectors to redirect the air and keep her from sitting on it-
She is soooo cute!

Heres a pic of a vent deflector -

Ps- give her a belated happy 1st bday kiss from us!

Last edited:

Ode

Lairian
They do t get hot at all. I just got those a couple months ago. I'll attach her foot now. It's almost gone.
I have that spray. I will use that. It was for my dog. I'm really more concerned about her sneezing. The Azithromyacin is the only thing that stopped it but it always comes back when she gets off. The Clavamox is giving her hirrible runs I feel horrible.
image.jpg

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Perhaps a different antibiotic. Also, a little pumpkin (not the pie filler type) mixed with her food may help her runny poo while on the meds. :)

Back