Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Help me with writing another letter to the breeder?

georgehairlesson

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Flare's vet just called and went into more detail about how horrible of a condition her mouth was. Worst he has ever seen and he has been a vet since the 80's! I have emailed the breeder several times and she has yet to reply. I wanted to send a certified letter, but she has already moved out of state and I do not have that address. I would like to email her again, but I was wanting some help with the wording. I am posting a copy of the contract, if that helps anyone. Please help me out.

Health Guarantee

1. By signing this contract, Purchaser agrees to provide a good, loving home for the dog throughout said cat/dog's life. This cat/dog will be kept indoors and not be allowed to roam freely outside.

2. The seller, to the best of her knowledge and beliefs warrants that this cat/dog was in good health at the time of departure. The Seller guarantees the cat/dog for good health for a period of 3 days from the time that the cat/dog leaves the possession of the Seller. It is required that the cat/dog be examined by a licensed veterinarian during this period or there will be no guarantee on the seller's part.

3. If, within the 3 day period, the cat/dog is found to have a life threatening condition, the cat/dog will be replaced or a refund of the purchase price, less the reservation fee and any shipping charges. The refund will be made as long as the cat/dog is returned along with all registration papers, original sales contract, and a written statement from the veterinarian within 48 hours after the defect has been diagnosed. Under no circumstances will a refund or a replacement cat/dog be given if the cat/dog is euthanized without prior permission from the seller.

In the event the cat/dog should die within 10 days of purchase, buyer must (at his expense) obtain an autopsy report or a written statement by a licensed veterinarian showing the exact cause of death before a refund will be considered.

4. If for any reason purchaser is unable to keep above mentioned cat/dog, Seller will help place the cat/dog in a new home for the entire life of the cat/dog. In no event, will the cat/dog ever be turned over to a shelter, human society, or rescue group.

5. The Seller is not responsible for any expenses, medical or otherwise incurred by the buyer.

6. Seller will not be responsible for viruses or parasites, internal or external.

7. There is no guarantee or warranty that the Buyer will be able to show or breed the cat/dog regardless of show or breeding potential.

georgehairlesson

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I forgot to paste this also.....

Purchaser's signature indicates full understanding and agreement of all above conditions. A signed copy of the contract must be returned to the Seller within 21 days or this warranty is null and void. Any disputes resulting from this contract shall be settled in St. Charles, Missouri. Remedies regarding any disputes (i.e. veterinarian bills, legal advise, etc.) will be limited to fifty percent of the purchase price of the dog/cat.

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Really- and this is the problem with contracts- she has you at the three day guarantee. While you may have had Flare seen in this period of time, from the look of it- you would have had to return her for a refund of any monies spent.

Now, ethically, I don't care what the contract says- what she did is wrong to both you and Flare! I hope she mans up and takes responsiblity!

Bella07

Banned
Well, it looks as if the breeder made it so that she gets the "best of both worlds" and doesn't have to "deal" with you after the 10 day mark. I am sorry that you are going through this with her. If she hasn't emailed you back so far, it seems that she doesn't care to involve herself in this matter. From what I know, the breeder is not breaking her contract in any way or form. But, as said, it is just wrong of her to continue to ignore you...

Does she have a website? If you could find a way to talk to her on the phone...perhaps the two of you could come to a resolution. Well, good luck with this. I really hope she comes around and helps you in the end!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Call TICA and tell them what is going on.
A person on this site was going to get a cat from her and I had them ask if she scans for HCM and she got rude to them in a email.
Thank God she did not get a cat from her.
BTW The HCM pos cat in my cats lines is from her cattery.

MikkiJean

Lairian
Do you have her phone number? i'm not sure if it's a landline or a cell but I have her number from an email when I was talking with her.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
it looks like she will ignore you no matter what.
Maybe someone has her new number or address in N.C.

georgehairlesson

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Call TICA and tell them what is going on.
A person on this site was going to get a cat from her and I had them ask if she scans for HCM and she got rude to them in a email.
Thank God she did not get a cat from her.
BTW The HCM pos cat in my cats lines is from her cattery.

I hope George is not part of that line! OMG. The sad thing is she never gave me the paper on George. When I picked him up, her printer was broken. I emailed her several times about it, but she never sent me it.

I decided to get Flare from her because George is healthy, and her cattery is close enough that I can drive there.

georgehairlesson

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I typically don't say mean things about people or call them things, but she is a snooty; rich snob. She is only nice to you up to the day you get your pet. Once she has her money, she doesn't care...

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Um what is George suppose to be registered in?
You can call TICA and CFA and ask if they have info on the sire and dam.
I never heard of anyone printing the blue slip up before.
Maybe George is not really registered and the broken printer was a excuse.
Do you know the sire and dams full name?
U can research it if you do.

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Unfortunately, no- while she did sell you a sick cat, that clause in there for the vet visit within 72 hours makes it YOUR responsibility to have the cat's health checked and then you needed to make a decision based on that vet check to either return the cat or keep her.

The reason why that clause is important to breeders- all breeders- is that it ensures that the health problems did originate in the original cattery- because you could take a kitten, expose it to a diseased ridden cat, and then 10-14 days later, claim the breeder sold you a sick animal- which would be bogus. On the flip side, though, it also protects you- but it's a limited protection because once you get the kitten, you tend to fall in love and very few people are able to just return an animal due to a health problem.

My contract is a bit different- I state that if the animal is found with a life threatening problem, you may keep the original kitten and a refund or another kitten, at my discretion, will be offered within a 12 month period. While it doesn't require you return the kitten- it still isn't PERFECT because if you have a kitten from a breeder with a serious health problem, do you really want another one from the same breeder?

No contracts are perfect- both breeder and owner need to protect themselves and need to think about what they are willing to do in different scenarios. Me? I figure that my money is gone the minute it's spent- and if the breeder is good enough to assist me if there was a problem, etc, that is great- but I don't expect too much- even with good contracts. That's where finding a GOOD breeder comes into play.

I have had ONE person have a kitten with a serious health problem in 5 years- it developed around 18 months, which is after my contract is null and void. I still offered her a replacement kitten, out of different lines. (The kitten I sold to her was from a different cattery- it was a kitten back type deal- so not of my own lines).

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My sister Bengal was pts 2 months after she got him and the breeder replaced him.
Trish you will see the replacement cat but he may go back for a kitten if he acts bad at the show which we think he will do.
Most breeders give you 72 hours to see a vet.
Nial offered my sister a replacement right of way.

georgehairlesson

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian

I do not have the name of the sire or dam. How can I look him up?

georgehairlesson

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Unfortunately, no- while she did sell you a sick cat, that clause in there for the vet visit within 72 hours makes it YOUR responsibility to have the cat's health checked and then you needed to make a decision based on that vet check to either return the cat or keep her.

The reason why that clause is important to breeders- all breeders- is that it ensures that the health problems did originate in the original cattery- because you could take a kitten, expose it to a diseased ridden cat, and then 10-14 days later, claim the breeder sold you a sick animal- which would be bogus. On the flip side, though, it also protects you- but it's a limited protection because once you get the kitten, you tend to fall in love and very few people are able to just return an animal due to a health problem.

My contract is a bit different- I state that if the animal is found with a life threatening problem, you may keep the original kitten and a refund or another kitten, at my discretion, will be offered within a 12 month period. While it doesn't require you return the kitten- it still isn't PERFECT because if you have a kitten from a breeder with a serious health problem, do you really want another one from the same breeder?

No contracts are perfect- both breeder and owner need to protect themselves and need to think about what they are willing to do in different scenarios. Me? I figure that my money is gone the minute it's spent- and if the breeder is good enough to assist me if there was a problem, etc, that is great- but I don't expect too much- even with good contracts. That's where finding a GOOD breeder comes into play.

I have had ONE person have a kitten with a serious health problem in 5 years- it developed around 18 months, which is after my contract is null and void. I still offered her a replacement kitten, out of different lines. (The kitten I sold to her was from a different cattery- it was a kitten back type deal- so not of my own lines).

I will definitely keep Flare. She is part of the family. It just sucks that I have paid over $1,000 in vet bills for her. That is the cost of a kitten!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
That is bad you do not have that info.
Do you have Georges birth date?
If so call TICA or CFA and ask if they have info on a litter born that day.
They should have that info.
Did you ever see a picture of the sire and dam?

georgehairlesson

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
That is bad you do not have that info.
Do you have Georges birth date?
If so call TICA or CFA and ask if they have info on a litter born that day.
They should have that info.
Did you ever see a picture of the sire and dam?

I never saw his parents. His birthdate is 6.13/2009.

georgehairlesson

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian

Called TICA. It showed all the litters the breeder bred; except for George's litter! Also, I had them look up Flare and it is still under the breeders name!!!!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
That sucks.
That means she did not register his litter so she never had the blue slip in the first place.
What a @@@@@
That needs to be changed to your name.
Did you ask who the sire and dam are for flare?

georgehairlesson

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
That sucks.
That means she did not register his litter so she never had the blue slip in the first place.
What a @@@@@
That needs to be changed to your name.
Did you ask who the sire and dam are for flare?

I did not ask who the sire and dam were for Flare, but I do have her TICA registration code on the sales contract.

Back